“I left hungry....”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Cross street: Queen and Bathurst
Transit: The 501 street car runs 24 hours, with stops at Palmerston and Niagara.
Description: Czehoski is a restaurant / bar located in the trendy Queen West neighborhood. The food focus is on classic comfort cuisine with a contemporary twist. Known for our extensive cocktail list and date-worthy atmosphere.
Reviewed 25 February 2015

4 of us went for dinner during Winterlicious.. because of traffic and weather we were running late. I called and told them we would be about 30 minutes late for our 6:30 reservation. I was told the next reservation for the table was 8:45. I said that was no problem, we wouldn't linger. We got all 3 courses served and finished by 8:00. It was kind of ridiculous. They were bringing our main course before we were done our appetizers. Then the server said "I'll bring your desserts in a few minutes" - and one of us was STILL eating our main course... I can understand wanting to hurry us out if they are super busy, but there were empty tables all over the place.
APPETIZER: I had the roasted beet salad. It didn't have enough vinaigrette, but the bits of beets helped to moisten it. It was quite a small salad.
My husband had the Caesar Salad, again it was quite dry. Another member of our party had the Borscht Soup. He enjoyed it.

MAIN COURSE: I had the Pierogies - 4 smallish pierogies on a bed of kapusta (cabbage and onions) and a small smear of Creme Fraiche (sour cream). I was expecting big, beautiful fluffy homemade pierogies. Nah. They were smallish, pan fried so that the exterior was dry and tough. The filling was sweet potato and cheese and was ok, but there was not enough filling. Honestly they weren't any better than the bag of 24 frozen pierogi I get at the grocery store for about $3. But seriously.. 4 pierogies for a MAIN course?? On the other hand, the men at the table got bacon wrapped filet mignon which featured not one but TWO 5 oz medallions..that's 10 OUNCES of beef tenderloin PLUS smashed red skin potatoes, PLUS garlic rapini for the SAME price as 4 little pierogies???? Thankfully my hubby gave me some bites of his steak, which was quite tasty and cooked perfectly. I'm still shaking my head at the injustice of it all.

DESSERT: Because we ordered all our courses at the beginning, I was foolish enough to order the dessert pierogi - they had run out of blueberry, so they offered cherry which was fine with me. What I got was 4 even tinier pierogies (literally bite sized) with a small squirt of whipped cream. My husband had the fudge cake, which was ok.

SERVICE: Our server was a bit manic and hyper, like I said we felt very rushed..all the courses served in just under an hour. After that we hung around and chatted because we didn't get much time to converse as per usual between courses. Now the server is clearing the glasses and silverware off the table. We were feeling like they wanted us out, so we decided to leave but we had to now hunt down our bill. We were out the door by 8:20..plenty of time for their 8:45 reservation. We will never go back. I was still hungry.
I'm rating the service as average, because although we didn't wait for anything, being rushed isn't good either.

Date of visit: February 2015

Reviewed 11 February 2015

We went there for a late Winterlicious dinner, on a week night. There were a few people there, but it was far from being busy. The service was relatively poor. We first got the appetizer in a timely fashion (borsht soup, good, but small amount), and then had to wait 40 minutes to get the main dish. After getting our dessert, we never saw the waitress again. We had to chase someone down eventually to get the bill. Good thing we were not in a hurry. No excuse for a non busy week night.

The food portions were not acceptable and the taste was mediocre at best. I am personally all about the quality, not the quantity, but four small pierogies is NOT an "entree", it could not be a dinner for anyone but a child. It made me wonder whether this is the quantity they normally give, or was this just for Winterlicious. They also did not contain "kapusta" (cabbage) as advertised.

The dessert was a disaster too. The blueberry pierogies were also just bite size (and tasted just okay), and the chocolate cake, I'm pretty sure was McCain's, and also did not come with "fresh raspberries" as advertised. Overall, I would not recommend this place for dinner. The ambience was nice though, so may be good for drinks.

Date of visit: February 2015
1  Thank AF1234
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Took a few friends here for lunch one day. Overall the food was fine - average and nothing particularly special. The price for what we received was atrocious! $20 for 5 (large) meatless perogies! There are MUCH better venues in Toronto at a better price.

Also, the menu isn't exact. We ordered the caeser salad and instead of the parmesan crisp atop (as I was hoping for) we got a sprinkle of cheese. The schnitzel was supposed to come with cold potato salad, but we received mashed potatoes instead. These inaccuracies detracted from the dining experience and frankly stole away what I was most excited for. Pass on this one.

Date of visit: September 2014
2  Thank DanEverett
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Trendy polish food. Unbelievable perogies. A little pricey but likely the best I've ever had. Amazing service/friendly staff. Amazing atmosphere. Will go back.

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I was walking a lot on Queen St West, a great street for exploring, and I needed a beer. I dropped in, asked 'Can I get a beer here?', and pretty soon I was sitting in the window seat, admiring the view, and drinking a chilled wheat beer. Great beer, great service. There is a really nice patio as well. I didn't eat so can't comment on the food, but the setting, the ambience and the beer were great. Thank you, Czehoski!

Date of visit: August 2014