All reviewskensington marketother guestsshared bathroomwhite sheetscn towerthird floortop floorqueen streetcomfy bedthree nightsstay there againliving roomconvenient locationtesshostsaccommodationsuniversity
Reviewed 12 June 2015 via mobile

Just stayed at 4 Sullivan for three nights in the upper most suite. Roger was very accommodating and kept in good contact before my arrival late in the evening from Union station. I could not get over how quiet the neighbourhood was and I slept very well! Overall 4 Sullivan is clean, quiet and very refreshing....most importantly it fits the budget!

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank RetrieverandCo
Reviewed 30 May 2015 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the extended stay location on Sullivan St. in late May. The location is perfect with access to the subway and cable cars to get anywhere in the city. The street is quiet although it is near some busy traffic areas. We stayed in a ground floor room with shared common areas, ensuite large bath with modern fixtures, that was very clean and comfortable. This is an older house that has been upgraded significantly. Although someone else was staying at the house at the time we didn't see them or hear them.

The only problem we had was parking. I asked twice about parking in emails and received no response. When we arrived we were asked if we had picked up a parking pass, like we should have been told about it. We were then told there were 2 parking lots within 2 blocks of the house. Unfortunately, the lots operated on 2 fee cycles that required you to buy time at 6 am and 6 pm, and not 5 minutes before! It worked but it was not convenient.

I would stay here again but would arrive with a parking pass in hand to avoid that irritation. Overall the reservations were easy to make, the website gave us accurate information, the room was very nice, and the location was excellent.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2015 via mobile

We've been there for two days to visit Toronto.
If you want to be close to the most important attractions, that should be your choice.
We've been located in Sullivan Street since they have more than one house for guests.
This particular house is very nice, with a full equiped kitchen, a lovely living room and wonderful rooms with free wifi everywhere (the house is shared although we were lucky there was nobody else).
The people who manage these apartments are lovely, Roger recommended us the most important places to visit in Toronto and gave us some good recommendations for eating.

So, this has been a wondeful experience in Toronto and I only can recommend you that place to stay in.

Thanks

Stayed: April 2015
1  Thank Durrero
Reviewed 17 September 2014

The owners (Roger & Tess) call this place an “Urban Inn,” which is describes it well. You can’t get more urban than a city, but yet I felt like I was at home, in a peaceful residential setting. The owners have 3 properties; one B&B on Baldwin, and two extended stays on Sullivan. We stayed at the Extended Stay at 4 Sullivan – it’s geared for those who will stay for an extended period of time, however, if available, they will allow you to book for a few nights. No breakfast is included (their B&B on Baldwin Street includes breakfast). All rooms at 4 Sullivan include their own private bathrooms (again the B& B location has shared bathrooms). I don’t like the idea of sharing a bathroom, so having a private bathroom was a must for me. We typically stay in hotel and resorts, and the occasionally B&B. We found this place, by chance, and felt very lucky it was still available for the holiday weekend. We originally were looking to stay in a hotel, however since our trip was planned a week prior, and being a holiday weekend – most hotels were booked, except for the high end ones costing more than what we wanted to spend. All said and done with taxes – we paid $141 (CAN.) a night – what a bargain!

Location:
The location is perfect for those who want to explore the city. It’s very centralized and within walking distance to many of Toronto’s distinct neighborhoods. This was our first visit to Toronto, and wanting to explore as much as possible during our short 3 night stay, a centralized location was a must. We walked everywhere, never once took a taxi or the subway, and saw a ton (and yes, our feet were killing us at the end). If needed, the streetcar and subway are easily accessible from this location. Chinatown, Baldwin Village, Kensington Market, Queen West are very close. Also within walking distance is CN tower, King West, Younge & Dundas, Harborfront, St. Laurence Market, Distillery District and Little Italy. The house is located on a quiet residential street, and at times, I forgot I was in the city. The house is very modern and contemporary, and decorated the same with a simple, clean minimalist feel-high ceilings and full of light. We stayed on the second level. There are two other rooms in the house, one below us - in the basement, and one above us on the third floor. Each room has their own bathroom. The room, (and the house) was very clean. I felt safe in the neighborhood (and city). Although the house is located on a residential street, you are a block away from Grange park, and a few blocks from Chinatown and Baldwin Street, which has a variety of restaurants.

Hospitality
The owners Roger and Tess and very nice, and accommodating. We arrived later than expected due to traffic, and they were very accommodating and gave us exact instructions on how to get into the house. The next morning we met them at their B& B on Baldwin to pay our bill, and they were pleasant to talk to, and were very helpful answering any questions we had on the city. Roger gave us a map and gave us a quick overview of the city, and his recommendations on sites and a suggested walking route to see the city. Although Roger & Tess are not present at 4 Sullivan, you know they are always available if needed. You don’t feel like just a number when staying here.

Our Room - Second Floor
Our room was a decent size for two people. It was small, but worked for us. A queen bed, PLENTY of storage and closet space, along with a dresser, desk and TV. The bathroom also had plenty of storage space as well. and was equipped with a hairdryer, shampoo/condition/gel. We had a view of the CN tower from our room. Although it’s an extended stay, we had our towels replaced during the day, something I didn’t expect, which was nice. MY ONLY COMPAINT - each morning (sometimes very early 5:30-6:00 am), I could hear the guests upstairs walking around as the floor squeaked. I’m a light sleeper, so it woke me up each morning, however my husband never heard it. I don’t fault the owners, and one has to expect to hear noises at this is a house. I’m sure the people above us where not aware of this. My recommendation is if you are a light sleeper, request the top room which is on the third floor.

Common Area
There’s a common kitchen and living area, and outdoor patio. Each room has their own marked shelf in the kitchen cabinet, and refrigerator for storage. The kitchen is fully stocked with utensils and dishes, for cooking meals. Although we didn’t cook, we found it very convenient to place any food or drinks we purchased during the day in the refrigerator. Although coffee and tea are available, we didn’t take advantage of it, as we found an amazing crepe place (Café Crepe) a few blocks down the street, that we walked to each morning. The house was very quiet, and we only saw the other guests a few times, and they were very nice. Most of the time we felt like we had the house to ourselves. At the end of each day we sat outside patio in the backyard, which was very private. Again, we almost forgot we were in the city.

Parking
Parking wasn’t a problem. Tess explained how to obtain a temporary street parking permit online. This was simple, and we printed this out prior to our arrival. We found a close parking spot on the street about a house down, and left our car there the entire time. It was about $20 for parking for our 3 nights. If you stay at a hotel, you would pay at least $20 a day to park.

For those of you who haven’t been to Toronto, I’d highly recommend it. I wonder why I waited so long. The city is very walkable, clean and friendly, with parks and green space scattered throughout. I’ve never seen a city quite like it. I would highly recommend staying 4 Sullivan, as the location is outstanding, the accommodations exceeded our expectations and the price is very affordable. It really is the best kept secret, considering the location and the price.

Room Tip: Top floor, so you don't hear your neighbors above
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AkronTravelBug
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is my 4th year visiting Baldwin Street when I return to Canada for the summers. Each time I have returned, I feel so welcomed by the kindness and sincerity of Roger and Tess. I am in good hands indeed! I have probably stayed in each room and each time I have had comfortable and clean beds and bedding. The protein filled omelet gets me going in the morning. What is ideal about BVI is that it is located on a very cool street in Toronto and what prices! The bathrooms are shared, reasoning for the affordability and are kept clean. I shall return to Baldwin Village Inn in my next stay in Toronto when summer returns in 2015!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo