All reviews crash pad welcome home quirky hotel queen street no elevator rooftop patio night life rooms are small streetcar stop hotel guests main floor jonathan hipster lounge crashpad west nightlife
Reviewed 28 August 2018

I visited Toronto in August for a three-night stay and I chose The Drake for its location and its vibe. It was everything I hoped for and then some. The rooms are compact, super clean and very comfortable. Attention to detail here is lovely - from a steaming hot cup of coffee delivered to your room in the morning to the extra care given when you dine in one of the hotel restaurants. This is a hot spot at night so if that's a concern you may want to inquire about quiet rooms or find another place. I had earplugs and I was fine. I checked out (very early) on Sunday morning and the staff had a pot of coffee and paper cups waiting for me at the desk so that I could sip a cup of java as I waited for my Uber. Those details are very much appreciated. I look forward to a return trip!

Room tip: Be sure to ask for a quiet room if that's important to you.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2018

The Drake Hotel would be my weekend getaway between work trips and a local family function. The website presented a venue of quirky contemporary rooms in the setting of a bustling social scene. Intrigued, I booked myself into a Salon room for two nights.

Upon my arrival, the exterior of the building was rather unassuming. Fitting in with the Queen Street West facade, an outdoor patio lined one side of the building while large windows gave a glance into the eclectic decor of the hotel restaurant on the other. Above, a bustling rooftop patio appeared to be filled with locals and guests alike having a great time. I was immediately shown to the small front desk located in the lobby and warmly greeted by staff. After the check-in pleasantries were exchanged I was instructed to go up the stairs to the second floor where I could find my room half-way down the hall on the left. Staff offered to carry my bags as there was no elevator, but I opted to show myself in.

The winding staircase leading to the second floor had been beautifully restored. A clear relic reborn, the entire building oozed glamour of a different era. The hallway leading to my room was dimly lit allowing the brick walls to fill the space with warmth while touches of greenery gave the space a life of its own.

My room was a creative mixture of colour, textiles, and contemporary accents. I had requested a fruit plate for my arrival and was very pleased with the fresh selection of local and exotic fruits. A nice treat after a long day of travel. The room was spotlessly clean and had everything I could have possibly wanted. The bed was perfectly made, very comfortable, and encased in high quality linens.

After settling in and a short rest I showered up before having guests over for a cocktail. The sunken, glassed in shower was spacious and clean. The high end bathroom products were a well appreciated touch. Nothing about any of the details or offerings at The Drake were anything but high end and luxurious.

The front desk staff delivered a generous bucket of ice and even helped me set up my bluetooth music in the room. Jenna was an absolute superstar. She was friendly, down to earth, and made me feel right at home. She was simply fabulous!

My guests and I had drinks in the room before heading downstairs for dinner. Again everything we needed, other than ice, was already in the room. They really anticipate their guests needs and it didn't go unnoticed. Dinner was so delicious. We indulged in a beautiful bottle of French GSM, steaks, lamb, and after dinner cocktails. The service was on-point and I would go there for dinner any day of the week.

I also had the opportunity to order room service a few times during my stay, and each time was very satisfied. I highly recommend the beef tartar, the bison rigatoni, the Drake burger, and the pancakes. Let's be honest, I could have ordered the entire menu.

The area surrounding the hotel was charming and very walkable. Queen street is lined with boutique shops ranging from high end clothing to odd ball haberdashery. I encourage you to get out and explore, there are treasures to be found.

My two days at The Drake Hotel went too quickly. I was blown away by everything they had to offer. This hotel is perfect for the young professional millennial. I highly recommend staying here and exploring this unique area of Toronto.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank SVorich
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this quirky hotel, but for us it’s downfall was it’s lack of parking. We put our hazard lights & asked where to park and then parked where we were instructed. We ended up with a $30 ticket because we didn’t have a permit to be there. It was a pain to haul our luggage from across the street too.
All of that aside, we loved the ladies at the front desk & the restaurant downstairs is great.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artist-teacher4BES
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Knew when the cab pulled up in front of the hotel that it was not what I expected. Rather than being an upscale, boutique hotel wth no elevator. The Drake is an artsy hotel for a younger demographic as is the accompanying neighborhood offerings. The room was pleasant enough though odd to have the toilet and shower open to the room and not in a separate bathroom. Toronto was warmer than usual and the air conditioning never cooled the room making it difficult to sleep which the management acknowledged by discounting the rate. Though I had a reservation for five nights and bailed to a more upscale hotel with a much better location, many amenites and at the same price.

Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank melanie0672018
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Loved this hotel!!! We’ve never been anyway like it! The rooms are quirky and very comfortable and it’s a fantastic location for exploring West Queen West. The thing that really made this place for us was how incredibly helpful and friendly all the staff are. Every single person asked us how we were and if we needed anything or simply chatted about what we’d been up to. The cafe is delightful and we also ate in the hotel restaurant which was also superb! We will be back!!

Date of stay: July 2018