“DING! 10/10 Food & service score this time around”
Review of Catch - CLOSED

Catch
Price range: US$11 - US$46
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: York-Crosstown
Description: Crazy fresh fish and something for the meat lover as well. Bring your friends and an even better appetite!
Reviewed 18 January 2015

Okay, let's forget about the last visit, because with a little tweaking to service - namely an amazing server named Ben - this restaurant leaps out of the gate to a 10/10. The food continues to be top shelf from the salmon pastrami and tuna ceviche apps, to the grilled fresh fish selection, beef and super yummmm sides. Wine selection is super, and we weren't too shy with the consumption here (note DDs on board in our group). But let me get back to the service: our server was never overbearing, but always on hand and on the go with barely a finger of ours lifted. Food was delivered in a timely fashion - not fast, not slow - just right for a serious conversation and laughs in between - and the owner was not only around, but visible at our table. Again, yes this place is loud but hopping fun. ALL SMILES. Thanks Frank.

Reviewed 18 January 2015

Took my mother for her birthday and we thoroughly enjoyed (after they turned down the music). Although we didn't have oysters...they looked great as they passed our table. We did have the shrimp rolls, which we really liked and the lobster fritters. I should have asked if the fritters were mostly dough (as I guess fritters are). They were and I wouldn't have ordered them had I known. Plenty of dough, but lacking lobster. But all was forgiven when we shared the grilled red snapper and smashed potatoes...they were great!! Chocolate dessert was also very good. I would recommend for very good fish.

Reviewed 26 October 2014

This is a small restaurant with a cozy, neighbourhood vibe that serves up incredible fish (and I'm a spoiled traveler, so trust me when I say the selection and cooking skill are top shelf) and beef. Our sides were also fresh, nouveau cuisine (think quinoa, beets, smoked mackerel, zucchini fries...yum) and fun to share amongst our big group. Wines are also well-priced, and the server even pointed us to an even better priced bottle; now when does that ever happen?! This is only half the equation though. Three different employees came to our table, each not able to take our order because they weren't "our official server". Now, in such a small restaurant, the chef himself should be able to swing by! Even the manager passed the buck, after starting to take our order (once she announced to us she was the manager). For shame. We waited what seemed like forever, at 10pm at night) for our appetizers to come, and the boys at our table received theirs...and then their mains...and the girls had zero. So what's the problem here? Our server clumped our entire order together, so that everything would arrive at once for the girls. Why??? No explanable, logical reason, and the server AND manager spent way too much time at our table not accepting responsibility for the "mix up". Bottom line: where's the owner? Were they over at the Rushton all night? The 'manager' was nothing more than a glorified server, who was incapable of extinguishing the 'fire' at our table. Ahhhh, great kitchen though, and if I were the chef, I'd be pretty upset to read this review...after all the hard work, fab ingredients, long nights bent over the hot elements.

4  Thank EllenZab
Reviewed 21 September 2014

Its a nice room and the patio is ok but the best part is the food. We've been there twice and the quality of the fish..... in every form you can imagine, is excellent. Portions are big enough to share. I have a robust appetite and could not finish an appetizer and entree. One first course and two entrees and two glasses wine each, the bill ran about $165 all in so, a bit pricey. However, despite waiting a little bit too long on both occasions for food, we will go back. This is seriously good cooking, flavours are straight ahead and each dish has opinion.
Servers are friendly and knowledgable and since the kitchen sits just behind a counter, the chef is visible all the time and approachable.

Two notes: Very unusual to get clams on the half shell in this part of Canada and do skip these, they are tiny! To end on a good note, the chef bakes his own bread and it is light and fresh!

1  Thank Steven H
Reviewed 27 August 2014

On a warm evening in Toronto we opted to sit outdoors since the air conditioning wasn't working inside. It was very pleasant and the other restaurants in the immediate area added an especially nice buzz to the place.

We ordered the whole fish option which comes with generous servings of two side dishes. We had the grouper which was properly grilled. Boned at the table--a nice touch--it was juicy and well seasoned. The kale/spinach and the garlic mushrooms were delicious.

The dinner, which was almost more than we could eat, plus one beer came to $85.88.