“fine, but HOT, not in a good way.”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We were only here for under 24 hours, but everything was smooth from the parking to check in/out, however our room on the 21st floor was 83 degrees when we arrived, and there was no cool air to be found through the ac/heat system. We were advised to open our window, or if that didn't work we could change rooms. Since we were there for an event, we didn't really have time to deal with changing rooms, so we opened the window and went out for the evening. It was in the high 70s when we came back late at night.

I would recommend a lower floor in the winter since heat rises and the AC is shut down for the season.

rooms and bathroom were small, but adequate for a quick stay.

Room Tip: LOWER floor in the winter so you have a chance of not melting
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Alain M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear msdoucet,
Thank you for visiting our property and reviewing our hotel, your comments are always appreciated.
We are glad that your parking, check-in and check-out process went well. However it is unfortunate that your room was 83 degrees upon entering and I do sincerely apologize for your displeasure.
In the winter months we do have the building's Chillers turned off and switched to Heat. Usually you should be able to control the level of heat from the thermostat in your room but this clearly was not the case with your experience. We do have our housekeeping and engineering teams checking on room temperatures throughout the day and i am sorry that your room was not adjusted prior to your arrival. We are lucky that we do have the option of opening our windows partially as this does help in most cases but it is also dependant on the weather outside. In cases like this where the temperature didn’t cool down enough to your comfort our hotel engineering team is always happy to provide assistance where necessary to make sure you enjoy your stay with us.
I hope that we will be able to have the pleasure of serving you again and i trust you will have a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.

Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to contact me if you have further questions or concerns.

Kind regards.
Alain

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Everyone here was so nice. The hotel was pleasant and nice looking, though not necessarily appointed with the highest quality (which is to be expected at such an affordable price point). Lots of nice "green" measures, though the motion controlled lights in the hallway could give one a headache. Nice pool, serviceable workout room, and a central location .

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jenn5mith
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The holiday Inn used to be the Days inn before. They recently renovated and did a lot of work inside the room and it shows.You can see that they have put a lot of effort in the decor , the furniture , the beddings even the pillows. Even the small bathroom is nice . The rooms are still very small but they have made a lot of effort to make them look nice that you can only smile when you see the work.

It is very well located close to a subway station. I wold suggest staying on the higher floor because of the noise of the tramways on the street. There is a coffee shop next to the hotel which has very good coffee. There is lots of family restaurant around that area.

I would recommend the hotel but keep in mind that the rooms are not big and you dont want to be more than 2 or you will step on each other.

Room Tip: higher floors to avoid the noise on the tramway outside. It ain't that bad by the way.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed here while in town for a function on the weekend of Feb. 17th/2012. This is a nice clean hotel, in a good section of downtown.

Upon check in, I was greeted by a nice front desk agent who I believe was named Steven. I actually spoke to him a few times during the weekend, and he was always very pleasant and helpful. I booked two rooms for 2 nights (919 and 920) and they were both spotlessly clean. The beds were comfortable, and the HVAC worked well. They had told me that they had just spent in the neighbourhood of $20 million on renovations, and it showed. The bathroom, although small, was very well appointed and very modern. The location was also great. It was just steps from the College subway stop, and there were many great restaurants within walking distance. Also, the new Lawblaws in Maple Leaf Gardens was right next door, so I was finally able to see what the fuss was about. (Beautiful grocery store by the way, but that's another story.)

My only minor complaints about the hotel were the size of the rooms, and lack of feather pillows.

The rooms are very small. Almost European small. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, this may not be the best option, but for the average tourist or business person who only plans to sleep there, they are fine. Also, I assume if you have more than one child with you, claustrophobia may set in. That being said, they were perfectly spotless and very comfortable for 2 people.

As for the feather pillows, there are none. This particular Holiday Inn does not have them in the hotel at all, and your only option is foam. (Although they offer a 'soft' and 'hard' option.) My issue is that I have a bad neck, and foam pillows always give me a headache no matter the firmness. If you *must* have a feather pillow like myself, remember to bring your own.

All in all it was a great stay, and I would go back... unless, as I said, you plan to spend a lot of time in the room. Otherwise it's one of the best options downtown Toronto at this price point.

*I never ate in the resaurant so I have no review about that, however there's an awesome little coffee shop attached to the hotel (Privately run) that makes a great latte if you're not into the coffee hotels serve!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rabbit74
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Good value for the money here; clean facilities, friendly staff, quiet buisness centre with computers and printer, unstocked fridge for personal use, comfortable beds, nice swimming pool, though overheated in the pool room (perhaps to make up for the lack of sauna or steamroom . . .). There is also an exercise room next to the pool which I didn't get a chance to check out (stairmasters and the like). The hotel has a cafe, bar, and a least one restuarant, none of which I sampled but they all looked pretty standard regarding offerings and hotel marked-up prices. Concierge could have been better informed about transit and in giving general directions. The best thing about this hotel is the location; you don't need a car at all. There is a huge supermarket at the end of the street with all the hot and cold items a foodie could desire, and a liquor store upstairs if you would like to take your provisions back to your room and have wine with dinner. On the other side, just across the street there is a Starbucks on the corner of a beautiful old building where heavy pedestrian traffic makes for great people watching if you sit by the window. There is also a movie theatre on the same street as the hotel which has many showing day and night, some of film festival quality. Subway is also at the end of the street. Top marks for comfort and convenience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family