“Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore Experience”

Howard Johnson Inn Toronto Downtown West
Ranked #119 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Sydney, Australia
“Howard Johnson Toronto Lakeshore Experience”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed in the Howard Johnson Hotel on Roncesvalles Avenue and truly enjoyed it. The staff are friendly, the room was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was more than adequate and the manager was a thorough gentleman. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel as a great place to stay. Moreover, it is located in a very convenient location, where it is easy to catch a tram on Queen or King Streets into Toronto. I'm from Australia, and when I next visit Toronto, I will most definitely be staying at the Howard Johnson on the Lakeshore.
Phil.

Room Tip: Like any hotel, some rooms are better than others. I ended up with an extremely comfortable room by...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Phil S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Leetonia, Ohio
Reviewed 26 December 2011

My daughter I and I stayed here for 3 nights several years ago. What they don't tell you is that the city buses park in the back. The parking was a good 3 blocks away in a creepy locked garage. The breakfast was in a small restaurant next door and was ok. The front desk people were nice enough, but the overall hotel experience was sad. Our room faced the street and our front window was cracked. We never walked anywhere as we were quite far from downtown. We did walk across the bridge to the lake and investigated a bit, but we didn't venture out too far in the immediate area except to walk to our car. We took the trolly to town once and that was ok, but if I went back to Toronto, I would definitely stay closer to town. The original photo I saw on the website really isn't what it really looked like. They had photoshopped all the wires out, so I attached a real photo! We actually went in 2007, but I didn't think to review it until now...from the other reviews I have read that were more recent things haven't changed there (except the name).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristina1124

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Worst hotel experience of my life. I couldn't even stay in the room, the smell was awful, the streets were cleaner than this room, there was even fly's all over the room and bathroom. Don't take a risk with this one like we did. The other reviewers are not hard to please, it really is that bad!

"Five minutes from all places that matter in the city of Toronto" my backside. When we asked the cab driver to take us from downtown to the hotel he laughed and asked why we booked that place. He said we could have got a much nicer place in downtown for the same price.

When we arrived, we were told we were upgraded to 2 bed's as they didn't have a non-smoking king room left like we had booked. But it was still a non smoking room. Seemed ok so we agreed. We got to the room and after gagging at the smell, I opened the curtains to the dirty scummy window and it just made everything worse. If this was an upgrade, what was the other room like?! The bathroom was rotten, pubic hairs all over the floor and the shower curtain was stained. The carpet in the room was patchy and there was blood splatters on the wall paper and lots of other stains. I spent the entire stay (about 15 mins) swatting flies away!

We checked the beds before making our final decision to stay/go... and the base of the bed has stains all over it, the bedclothes were stained, and the gold duvets had wet patches on it. There was pubic hairs on the bed, long dark hairs and long blonde hairs. The 2 beds were similar.

We went to reception and asked if we were put into the wrong room as this didn't seem to be cleaned since its last occupants and the arguing started.

I was told it wasn't a luxury hotel and I was expecting too much (I thought a clean bed was the norm in hotels regardless of rating??). He told me this was clean and the cleaner had serviced the room that morning. I asked him to come to the room and have a look, when I pointed out the hairs on the beds, he swept them to the already dirty carpet and said there was nothing wrong with the bed and as they were a budget hotel, they couldn't afford to have high quality bed linen and towels. All I expected was something clean. He was extremely unhelpful and argumentative. He said they didn't have another room for us that night as they were all occupied. I asked for a refund and he said this was not possible. We were booked for 3 nights and this wasn't an option to stay here. He said we could talk to his manager the next day but there was nothing he could do. I pointed out that there were wet stains on the bedclothes and he lifted them saying he would send them to laundry (eh... was this not done anyway?!)

After deciding we couldn't stay in that room, we took our bags back to reception and asked for alternative arrangements to be made, which was refused. It was 7pm and all we could from get was that we needed to speak to the manager the next day. The guy then took us to a room to prove that the hotel rooms were cleaned.... we still weren't impressed by this, although a bit better.... but we couldn't have that room as someone else had already booked it.

Strangest and rudest experience we have ever had with any hotel in North America, India, Africa or Europe.

Needless to say, for an extra $10 a night, we got a lovely 4* in downtown. Howard Johnston kept 1 full nights cost and refunded the other 2 nights. The manager was still extremely rude and argumentative.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Irishsakani
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I booked through Wyndham for a Non-Smoking room - obviously you can come to the conclusion that I got a smoking room, full of cigarette burns everywhere, the sheets, the lamp, the walls. Not only was the room full of burns, the smell hit you as soon as you walked onto the floor.

I also saw a couple of bugs running around, roaches included. This place is dirty, I'm glad that the room I was in didn't have carpet, just woodish floors.

Rooms were really small, but I can't hold that against them, but the bugs and the smell, I can.

Room Tip: Choose one from another hotel - They claim the first floor is non-smoking.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mswny
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2011

When we got to the room, the carpets were still wet from a shampoo. Also, it smelled. The staff was kind and the continental breakfast was OK. The location was right near the lake and it wasn't TOO far from downtown, but I would try to find a better hotel if I ever go back to Toronto.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business