All reviews quiet street butler's pantry boutique hotel high end shopping the salt water pool living room yorkville area other star hotels nespresso machine four seasons home away from home beautiful hotel rooms are spacious the royal ontario museum would highly recommend this hotel doorman wedding
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

we stayed there for a weekend visit and could not have enjoyed it more. The neighborhood was great. The bar at the hotel was fantastic. At first glance thought it would be very stuffy,but, the guy playing the piano was phenomenal. We had a wonderful time.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Overall, I enjoyed my two nights of stay at the Windsor Arms and would definitely stay here again, during the off-season when the price is reasonable (as it was in middle of June - about half the price of the more "boring" Sheraton Toronto Center at this time). But there were a few glitches with my room and the check-in process that were nuisances but not major problems.

Location - Great location. Close to Yorkville, University of Toronto, financial center, ROM, great shopping nearby, etc. You cannot beat this location. It's really at the center of anything that you'd like to see in Toronto. What I especially like is that this hotel is in the middle of the city and, at the same time, in a secluded, quiet alley that's just around the corner from a major street (Bloor street). So the hotel felt like a quiet, quaint, and cozy home in the middle of a city.

Room - This was great. Windsor Arms doesn't seem to have many rooms as with any boutique hotels and each room, including mine, seemed to have been custom designed so that no two rooms were alike. My room had a guitar hanging on the wall, and you could play it if you wanted to. The room was really spacious despite the fact that I just paid for the cheapest room. I haven't found rooms of this size in any of the Toronto hotels that I stayed in (including the Intercontinental hotel that's across the street). The room had a classic British feel - what I'd imagine to find in a nice, classic 1960s British house to have - and had a couch, large coffee table in front of the couch, special wooden furniture to hang ties and formal jackets, several furnitures with drawers to put your clothes in, a king/queen bed, a desk to work at, a large closet, and a bathroom with a jacuzzi. This was probably one of the best, if not the best, hotel room that I've ever stayed in anywhere.

Service - For the most part, the service was good. But there was a hick-up during my check-in. I arrived one hour earlier on a Sunday, when the hotel has high tea - I didn't try this but it seemed quite popular and well known. I had to wait an hour to check-in, which was perfectly understandable since I arrived an hour early. The hotel staff asked me to wait in the private dinning room / pub with my luggage. I did that. No problem. Then one of the staff members (bartender / server) came to me and said, while showing his annoyance, "this area is closed. you can't be here". I explained that the front desk asked me to wait there until my room was ready. The guy then said "okay" and then walked away. I wouldn't have minded being offered a drinks menu while I waited. I would've paid.

Wifi - During my stay, the wifi in my room kept disconnecting. So I had to use my mobile hotspot (I was visiting Toronto from abroad) for several hours on and off during my two days of stay. I mentioned the problem to the front desk but this issue was never solved.

Breakfast - This came included with my stay; I didn't have to pay extra for it (though maybe the hotel already took this into their pricing). So maybe I shouldn't complain but: the breakfast was very minimal. The buffet had nothing but coffee, some small boxes of cereals, and a mini croissant/pastries/toasts. You could order some eggs and the kitchen will make it for you. But that was it. There were no hot meals aside from the eggs. But there is starbucks and other places nearby, so I suggest that you go to those places if you want breakfast.

Overall, despite the minor annoyances, the hotel was great. I would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2018

My partner and I spent a lovely two days here before visiting family. I wouldn't regard this hotel as a 5-star but it is a solid 4-star (with some 5-star touches but also a couple 3-star embodiments).

The room was charming and spacious and most of the staff were friendly. This is an older hotel, which is part of the charm but also part of the foul. There were stains on the carpet, especially in the hallway, and housekeeping was satisfactory but not great.

The hallways were dusty and the room had some cobwebs. Magazines covered table areas that had dried candle wax underneath. Additionally, when we checked-in, the bedding was wet (clean but not fully dried) and we had to have it changed out. The A/C is old and makes a buzzing sound. These were all relatively minor things but I think housekeeping could be improved.

I appreciated the quiet yet central street the hotel is on and the boutique feel of the hotel. The Windsor Arms is part of Toronto's history. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience that was worth the money and I would stay here again. ****

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

I don’t really understand why this hotel is regarded so highly and is so expensive. It feels very stuffy and outdated. I can see why some people would find it charming (I prefer a much more modern style) but I just did not feel comfortable in this hotel. The pool, the breakfast, the rooms—nothing impressed me for the price. It felt dark and heavy. The location, however, is perfect. It’s tucked away on a quiet street in a busy neighborhood.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank slarusse
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Not one to make the effort to write a poor review but I left feeling that I must report in. Windsor Arms is at the top end of the spectrum in Toronto Yorkville hotels. I believe only Four Seasons is a higher price. I know this is a smaller more intimate setting but please staff make an effort to be courteous warm and charming even if it not meant. At over $500USD a night one expects staff to look you in the eye, be presentable and attentive. Not so on my last visit here. What has gone all wrong? Note: Bar staff 5x stars. Front desk and other wait staff a zero. Sorry. But had to report in.

Trip type: Travelled on business