“Good service, but hotel is just adequate”

Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown
Ranked #71 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Fukuoka, Japan
“Good service, but hotel is just adequate”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed here for a conference that was being held at a nearby hotel, which was more expensive and lacked free internet/breakfast. I chose HI Express for miles, location, and price.

From the hotel, you cannot take a standard shuttle fair not he Toronto Express shuttle. This is a little annoying because they charge extra for a "connector" service. On the return, I just walked to Sheraton Center and took the shuttle from there for a little discount. Probably not a good option with a lot of luggage, though.

The service of the hotel was quite good. I had a good check-in experience and they actually called a few minutes after I arrived in my room to make sure there were no problems.
They put me on the top floor and although the window is small, there is actually a decent view of some of the city skyline.
Breakfast was fine as for a business style hotel. They have a pancake machine, which is interesting. I did not try it, but it looked like fun. Standard yogurt, bread, mass produced eggs, and bacon/sausage available.
My sleep was fine. I did not notice any noise problems and the bed was comfortable. There is a nice desk and couch as well for working from the room if necessary.
The free internet works fine.
I had a problem with the bath stopper, which didn't work when I had some back pain. I called down and they tried to fix it, but couldn't so they gave me a new room. They were very good about fixing the problem by providing a different room. After changing rooms, I fixed two other problems. My TV was also messed up (not providing good quality or all the stations), and the fan was making too much noise.

My advice - if you have a problem with the room, be sure to tell them and get a new room.

In general, the hotel could use with an update to the TV and some minor repairs in the rooms and other areas. Even the elevator buttons were falling off.

Problems:
- The location is not the best. I was actually surprised because I thought it was a good spot, but it seems a few blocks away from major shopping/dining areas. I actually felt a little uncomfortable at night because there were not a lot of people around and most of the neighborhood looked closed. A few places were open for eating, but it seemed a bit limited. For those new to Toronto, it might be good to walk around in the daylight to get your bearings before venturing out for a place to eat at night. This may be due to my own bias, coming from Japan, where I never feel uncomfortable and there are people everywhere in the cities. It could be perfectly safe, and my cultural bias makes it more uncomfortable for me.
- No refrigerator in the room. This is something I dislike.
- No safe in the room. I have seen how cleaning staff leave all the rooms wide open during their cleaning schedules in most hotels. I do not trust that someone can just walk in and take stuff. I like to have a safe in the room. I used the safe in the lobby, but they required a $50 deposit in case of a lost key ($100 lost key charge). It is also a small safe box, so you cannot store larger items like computer products.

Overall, the hotel experience was adequate, but nothing I would get excited about for future visits. I would probably try to find someplace else to stay for a similar price if it were possible. Unfortunately, I am not sure that it is possible. So, for this price, maybe this is the best you can get.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Steven R
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
The management of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto downtown hotel would like to thank you for your review of our property. . I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and that it was a great overall stay for you.
Our neighbourhood is very safe and our location is great and close to much of what Toronto has to offer and close enough to the transit system to be able to get you anywhere without the stress of city driving. The Eaton Centre, being only 5 minutes away, is a great benefit and I hope that you had a chance to visit the “Path” and Toronto’s underground shopping area.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback which can only serve to make us better.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Oxfordshire, England
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We were looking for an affordable, clean and well-run hotel near the centre of Toronto, with breakfast! We found one at the downtown Holiday Express Inn. We were amicably welcomed by the efficient reception staff. Our room was immaculate and well-presented. Ample storage, a spotless en suite, two whopping queen size beds (we had simply booked a "twin" room), a coffee machine and a TV offering many US and Canadian channels, but also BBC World Service (yippee!). The self-service breakfast was more than satisfying with cereals, cooked options, toast etc. etc. and of course pancakes along with other patisseries, fresh fruit and fresh coffee. Meant we could skip lunch! A three minute walk from the handy Streetcar and Subway (underground) networks. All-in-all excellent value and we would happily return and recommend.

One request for the management. Could they leave some clear written instructions how to operate the coffee maker? As a technophobe I was struggling with it, simple though it probably was. Ended up with more coffee in the tray than in the cup.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up for views. There are three large and swift lifts..
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. We are delighted that our front desk staff was able to get you into your room quickly and efficiently and that you enjoyed your experience with us. It is always nice to hear how well our guests are treated by our associated and we focus on training them to provide each guest with an exceptional stay.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about your stay with us and we look forward to seeing again when you get the chance to visit our fair city.
Aberdeen, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 3 March 2012

While my husband was in Toronto on a 10-day business trip, I fly in to spend the weekend with him and explore the city. We were put up at the Holiday Inn Express on Lombard Street in downtown Toronto, and while I didn't have high expectations for the HIE, I was pleasantly surprised.

The location is absolutely ideal. We were within easy walking distance of countless shops, restaurants, and bars, and thanks to the $20/day parking (a steal in a major city), we had easy access to our rental car to reach more out-of-the-way locations.

The room is basic and clean. The bed is more comfortable than I anticipated, and the view was great from our 12th floor room. It would be nice if the windows had light-blocking curtains rather than double sheers, but that's simply being nitpicky. It certainly didn't ruin our trip! The free wi-fi is a great hotel perk, though it can be quite slow, noted particularly when trying to video chat with family back home.

The bathroom is spacious and clean, the tub larger than a standard, the towels softer than many other hotels I've stayed in.

The free breakfast is great, especially if you're looking to cut corners and save. There's absolutely no need to pay for breakfast elsewhere when the HIE serves eggs, breakfast meat, pancakes, muffins, bagels, toast, fruit, cereal, juices, teas, coffees, milk, and more. We had a hearty breakfast and didn't even need lunch - we just had an early dinner around 4:30 and were quite content.

There's some hallway noise and street noise, but nothing that was enough to keep us awake or be terribly disturbing.

Our stay was wonderful, and my husband was happy to have a cozy little place to call home during his business trip.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Danielle N
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for selecting Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown for your most recent trip to Toronto. We take great pride in our downtown location and I'm pleased to see you found it convenient. We’re glad you also liked the room as well as our breakfast. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay to Toronto!

Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I booked three rooms at htis hotel. It was my daughter's 18th birthday so I took her and osme of her friends for a night in Toronto and the whole experience was great
Check in -. We got there at 1:45 and all three rooms were ready. We requested rooms on the same floor, a high floor with a view of the city. All of our requests were accomodated I can honestly say that is the first time that has ever happened. I travel quite a bit and thtere is always some reason why rooms can't be together or whatever our request happens to be, but not so at this hotel
Parking - 20.00, parking is underground right on site - a great deal in downtown Toronto.
Rooms - nothing fancy, but they were clean and the beds were very comfortable. We had rooms ont he 14th floor and we could see Lake Ontario, the CN tower and lots of lights at night - very nice.
Breakfast - for a free breakfast it was great, again probably one of the best I've had and included bacon, eggs, pancakes, baked goods, toast, bagels, a couple of fruit selections, cereal, juice etc.
CHeck out - very smooth, no wait. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high view of the city
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mboyle
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown Hoel. I am pleased that you and your guests enjoyed your time in Toronto and that our staffs were able to accommodate your needs. I am happy that we were able to accommodate your party all on the same floor as it is not always possible due to occupancy levels but we do try our best. Our location is great and close to much of what Toronto has to offer and close enough to the transit system to be able to get you anywhere without the stress of city driving. Complimentary Internet, Breakfast and Newspapers is one of the ways to say thank you for choosing us. Thank you once again and we hope to be able to host your next visit to our fair city.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The Holiday Inn Express on Lombard Street, Toronto is filled with a friendly staff. My friend & I stayed for one night on one of the highest floors. Our view was part of the beautiful cityscape and sky. Our room had plenty of space for two women, our luggage and didn't feel cramped. The room was smoke-free and looked clean. My bed was quite comfortable and I slept through the night and heard no street noise which is remarkable considering the traffic outside. I would've loved a vending machine in the building. Breakfast was free and included pancakes, eggs, yogurt, muffins, bread & toast with toppings, fruit, cereal, juice, coffee, tea and assorted breakfast meats like sausage. I had a banana, cereal and toast with juice and everything was delish and the usual delux cont. breakfast. The breakfast room got crowded in the morning, so I'd get there as early as possible. The staff was perfectly friendly, especially the gentleman who checked me in, and I wish I could recall his name(Ravish?). He was lovely and went out of his way to give us directions on a map, which I know the employees are required to do, but he was so sincere and nice about it that it stood out. The parking is below the hotel in an underground garage and felt very safe. The spots can be tight, but there appeared to be ample parking for hotel guests as well as non-hotel guests, and the cost was reasonable at around $20 per night. I would stay here again if I was in the area, and have no complaints. This particular HIE was a few bucks more than the other HIE I recently stayed in, also in TO, and I would've loved if the price had been closer, and if it was cheaper I'd rate it "very good".

Room Tip: If you don't like elevators request a low room. I get vertigo easily and felt sick after riding...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the great review of the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown and the amazing things that you have said about our staff members. It always a thrill to hear that our staff have gone above and beyond to ensure that all our guests are treated right. Rest assured that I have passed along your comments to the staff you have mentioned.

Amazing customer service is what all of our staff strive to give to each and everyone of our guests and we hear so many great comments about the things that they have done, but we never get tired of hearing more.