“No parking”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #9 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We tried this hotel because there were lots of good reviews about it. I was disappointed. I was expecting more. The hotel was "okay" but for the same price, you can get a better place in the area. There were constructions going on and we didn't know. It was too late to back out since we've already paid our room and we were too tired. If you are driving here, be prepared to pay $45 for their valet parking. But here's a tip, beside the hotel is an overnight parking space where you only pay $25 until 6pm of the next morning. You can just walk from there to the hotel's main door. A few steps will save you 20 bucks. This is actually great because even if you've checked out from the hotel the next morning (around 11am), you can still roam around downtown without worrying where to park. You can grab an "All Day" pass for the subway and street cars for a better tour of the city. Staffs are friendly and nice - no complains. The person in the concierge was helpful, she gave me a map of the places we can visit. Their continental breakfast though is very limited, they don't even have eggs.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beetle025
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear valued guest:

I am sorry that you found your stay disappointing. I realize that parking charges may be steep but a quick comparison to other major metropolitan cities will indicate that our cost for valet parking is comparable. It is also an indoor parking garage which offers added safety measure for your vehicle as opposed to an open parking garage. Thank you for acknowledging the friendliness of our staff and I am pleased that our concierge was able to provide you with tips on places to visit while in the city.

Thank you for posting your comments and we appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Petty consistent, higher end member of the Starwood family. Expansive lobby and a feel that is more typical for the Fairmont chain.
Pro's
Location, a block from Yonge Street, can't be much more central.
Club lounge is one of the better ones, broken up into areas if you need to meet to discuss business. Exercise room has everything you would need and doesn't seem to get that much use.
Neg's
Really not much, the rooms are generally on the dark side lighting wise. Not sure why but they haven't gone to fluorescent and there are insufficient incandescent units in either my room or my colleagues. No issue for those with better eyes... Desk chair is also not adjustable, which is unfortunate.
All in all, a great spot, no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others

Dear valued guest:

I am pleased to know that your stay was satisfactory and thank you for acknowledging the many features that make this hotel stand out. We noted your feedback about the lighting and are in discussions with my team to address this concern. We are hoping to introduce significant improvements when guest room restoration is completed. Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to being of service to you once again in the future.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I'm often in Toronto for business-related purposes, so I've had an opportunity to try many downtown hotels.

This was my first experience at the King Edward and I must say, while it has its charms, there are most definitely better stays in the city.

The hotel lobby is beautiful, though not as bright and airy as web photos suggest, and the history of the building can be appreciated at every turn.

Staff at reception are very polite and professional - in terms of front line staff, they might have been the best I've experienced anywhere.

The room I was assigned, on floor 9, was very clean, but was rather dated. I understand major renovations are ongoing, however, it's not acceptable for a 4-star hotel to ever have carpet so old that it's bunching and faded. There was also the lingering musty/smoky smell that is likely lingering from days gone by when smoking was permitted in the room. Additionally, the lighting available is minimal, particularly in the washroom where you have to wait about 5 minutes for the fixtures to "warm-up" in order to properly see anything.

Most disappointing was the inconvenience of three fire-alarms in the span of two days. With an important function to attend in the morning, I turned in early my first night, only to be woken around 10:30 by the sound of a fire alarm. Intermittent announcements (that were audible only if you stand in the hallway) did nothing to instruct guests about what they should be doing. To be safe, I ventured down the stairwell into an area that had no clear signs about how to get to the lobby (or outside for that matter) - when I asked a staff member I finally ran into for direction, I was brushed to the side as folks made their way up the stairwell to investigate the source of the alarm. Rather a big eye-opener that gave me the knowledge guests would be in danger were a real emergency to occur. In the end, it turns out the alarms resulted from construction dust entering the alarm system.

I might give this establishment another chance, but with the Hilton, Marriotts and Sheraton Centre also nearby (and with better recreation facilities and superior rooms) chances are I'll go back to them next time.

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for sharing with us your experience about your stay. Though we appreciate the excellent rating you gave our front line personnel, we regret that we have disappointed you in a number of areas and for this, I apologize. We have noted your comments and rest assured that they have been tabled for review and discussion. As far as the physical aspects of the rooms and other facilities, a marked improvement should be evident when the restoration of our guest rooms is completed. I also apologize for the fire alarms being an issue during your visit. Due to the ongoing construction work this is a challenge that we ourselves have to grapple with. I am only glad that they all turn out to be false alarms.

I hope that you return for an opportunity for us to provide you with an experience more typical of Le Meridien King Edward.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

It was my wife's birthday and I had to find a Hotel which would not disappoint her on this very important day. My mother was going to take care of our 3 and 4 year old children for the night so I did not want to leave anything to chance. We don't get out as much as before we had children so it was important to book the right hotel. I had decided on the King Eddie because of it's location right on the subway line. Also, we would only need to take a streetcar to get to the Toronto Symphony at Roy Thomson Hall later that evening. So with this in mind, and not wanting to leave anything to chance, I trudged on down a few days before to check out the various rooms that I would consider for our evening out. I met Adi and Janice at the Front Desk and explained my situation. They could not have been more helpful. They found someone to show me the various rooms available and give me a tour of the Royal Club Lounge. After the tour, I was pretty sure I had made the right choice to stay here. However as with all Hotels, rooms are subject to availability so I would not know which room would be available for my stay.

I arrived a few days later with my wife to check in and was pleasantly surprised to find that my room had been upgraded and I would be getting a corner suite on the 11th floor which is the same floor as the Royal Club Lounge. The room was very bright, with a nice view and was elegantly furnished. The bed looked very inviting and comfortable and there was bottled water on our night tables. Shortly after our check in there was a knock at the door and a cheese cake was presented to my wife. I had mentioned to Janice at the front desk about my wife's birthday and she had arranged this for us. Totally unexpected and such a thoughtful gesture.

My wife said she wanted to take a quick nap before we had a bite in the Royal Club Lounge. First mistake when you have a bed more comfortable than at home. She did not want to get out of bed and subsequently said she would meet me in the lounge a little later. So I headed off to the Club Lounge solo not knowing what to expect. We were prepared to eat in the Consort Bar downstairs depending on the food available in the lounge. I was in for quite a surprise as the food available was delectable. Perhaps a little to good to be honest. I knew that dinner would not be necessary this evening. I chose from two different types of quiches, pita with Hummus, Tzatziki and Baba Ganoush, a lovely meat dish, brie, cheddar and swiss cheeses. Various olives and crisp vegetable slices, ( different peppers, carrots, etc ). There were nuts and chips and tortilla chips available as well. White and red wine and different beers were also available for us. My wife finally arose from her nap and seconded my opinion of the "snacks". After a few glasses of wine, some more food and some of her cheesecake we were stuffed. We would not be needing to eat dinner out tonight.

We returned to a great night's sleep and I awoke in the morning ready for a workout in the gym. It is equipped with assorted exercise machines, ( rowing, elliptical, bikes etc. ), weight machines, free weights, exercise balls and more. I had a great workout and enjoyed more of the hotel's included bottled water. My wife stayed in bed again as I headed for the breakfast buffet. Again, I was not disappointed as I chose from eggs, cheese, ham, croissants, bagels, muffins, cereals and lots of fresh fruit. It was accompanied by fresh squeezed orange juice, tea and coffee. I had more than enough to last me until well after lunch. My wife arrived a little later and was similarly impressed with the breakfast buffet. We made our way back to the room but not before using the computer and printer provided in the Royal Club Lounge. I needed to print a document and this was done in seconds.

We have stayed at the Fairmont Royal York in Toronto, as well as the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth in Montreal and the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. We were on the Gold floor at these hotels which is the equivalent of the Royal Club. The King Edward was every bit as nice with more affordable prices. If you are wavering about whether it is worth staying in a Royal Club Room, don't hesitate as it is worth every penny.

Of course, the staff are always so important and they did not disappoint at all. I would highly commend Janice and Adi at the Front Desk for their great service. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my family and friends and my wife is already planning a return with her mother for another stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite if possible. The views are better and there is more natural light. Try...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CubaAfficionado

Dear valued guest:

I enjoyed reading your post and sincerely appreciate the time you took to write. Comments such as yours are always inspiring to all of us here at the hotel and I thank you for sharing. I am glad that your stay overall was enjoyable and that you and your wife are considering us again for future stays. Our location is often praised by our guests. It gets the highest acknowledgment score next to our guest service. Thank you for acknowledging Janice and Adi. We are fortunate to have a team of committed and dedicated staff who go the extra mile to ensure our guests leave feeling well cared for. Rest assured that Janice and Adi are recognized for this achievement.

I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Got into town late for business and got to the hotel and was greeted by very friendly staff. Unfortunately, just as I was about to get on the elevator, the fire alarm went off because of the renovations and got stuck downstairs in the lobby. I was going to change to another hotel after about 20 minutes of waiting but just as I was rebooking, everything cleared up, so up I went. Got into my room and while I thought it smelled like smoke, turns out it was just the smell of "old." Everything in the rooms are floral print and just generally old looking. Carpet in the room was fine but saw that it was falling apart in the hallway. No wireless internet in the rooms, either.

I know that the hotel is undergoing major renovations and heard that internet will be fixed and I assume the rooms will be updated. So would I stay here again? Yeah, after the renovations are done. Until then, I think I'll stay in a real modern hotel.

1  Thank Adavidson1
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your visit with us and sharing your thoughts. I was sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations due to the fire alarm and quality of the guest room that was assigned to you. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. As you are aware, a restoration project is underway that will address all the deficiencies including those that you have identified. I am pleased to know, however, that you have given us another opportunity to prove ourselves better hosts on a future visit and we look forward to welcoming you back post renovation to experience our new look and transformation.