“Great location but massive renovations”

Comfort Hotel Downtown
Ranked #78 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel on May 25 & 26. On arrival we noted the original lobby entrance was closed. The hotel was being redone. The check in was seamless however we noticed a lot of renovations in the building. We were not told when booking the hotel was under remodelling and updating. The front desk assured us there would be no disruptions. The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The gentleman at the front desk helped my partner and I pick a restaurant for the evening. They had offered to call and make reservations for us. On our way up to our room we noticed only one elevator was in order (this did not affect our stay). Back in our room we were settling in and expecting a phone call to the room to confirm our time for supper.

Our room was quite large - I was very impressed. I've stayed in downtown Toronto before and this room was spacious. I was pleased to see our room had been updated. It was very clean - two large screen smart televisions and a spacious bathroom. I believe we were the first guests to stay in this room as it smelled new. The view from the room left a bit to be desired. We were directly looking at the alley of the strip club. There was no coffee maker in the room either (my partner and I are big coffee drinkers). The bed was comfortable and the pillows were soft. There was a small window in the bedroom which opened a bit to allow some fresh air.

We did not receive a phone call from front desk regarding our supper reservation so I attempted to call down. The phone was not even connected (this did not affect our stay as we had cell phones but it would have been nice to have been informed of this on check in). I could not call out or down to the front desk. The front desk staff had slipped letters underneath our door to communicate. Strange, yes but it did the trick. We did make our reservation thanks to the front desk staff.

That night however, I tried to shower and could not get hot water. I read reviews about this hotel concerning the hotel hot water and yes, they were right. The hot water took nearly 30 minutes to get and did not last when it was there. It made for a very short shower which was undesirable.

The following day, alarms went off at about 12pm for about a minute. The alarm was very loud but thankfully we were awake. When we inquired at the front desk, we were told it was due to the construction. This happened again during our stay. The lady at the front desk was not as pleasant when we mentioned this to her.

I did not try the breakfast to go at this hotel as we weren't able to grab the breakfast between the short time span of 7AM-9AM. We were told the breakfast would be placed on a small table near the check in desk (must be a bagged breakfast to go?)

Besides the alarms randomly going off, the strip club across the street from the window, and the delayed hot water this hotel was good for what we needed. We were touring the city, shopping, and out often so the hotel was great for our needs.

Overall, this was a clean hotel. Some of the staff was excellent while others should rethink their job choice and not be in the hospitality industry.

The biggest plus was the room size.

Room Tip: Ask if they are under construction - request a new room with a working phone
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Hotel Downtown

Reviewed 27 May 2017

This hotel recently reopened prematurely and guests pay the price. Even if you like the industrial style room with pipes and electrical conduits running every which way, you won't be impressed with the lack of a refrigerator, coffee maker, safe and other basic items. In fact there were NO DRINKING GLASSES in my room, no paper cups, no plastic cups, nothing. The gentleman at the front desk apologized and said they don't have any. But the next morning there were paper cups in the lobby for coffee! I "stole" two for my room. The breakfast is coffee, yogurt, pastries and apples on a little table to take away as there's not even one seat in the temporary lobby. Bottom line is this may someday be a fine place to stay, but the hotel should have remained closed until the renovations were completed and the rooms properly outfitted. And one more tip, bring your own "Do Not Disturb" sign as they're not in the hotel's budget this year.

Room Tip: Don't unpack until you check your room first!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2017

Excellent location for big city as Toronto. Near metro station and not far from downtown by foot. Friendly staff, especially the girl who work on breakfast serving. Spacious rooms and comfortable beds.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2017

You never know with Comfort Hotels what you will get when you show up for your stay. I have been disappointed by Comfort Hotel way too many times so I am careful to point out the stinkers in their lineup. This one is a definite stinker. It looks great in the lobby but once you get off the elevator you will notice an old hotel with worn carpets in the hallway, ugly paint on the dirty walls and narrow hallways. In our room the paint was peeling off the wall in the closet. The bathroom was half decent and the beds were good and comfortable. The furniture was old and worn but the flat screen tv was ok. The pictures on the website look way better than it actually is. Save your money and choose a different hotel, maybe 321 Jarvis Street, Toronto, Ontario.

Stayed: October 2016
3  Thank MohawkEagle
Reviewed 7 February 2017

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during my first trip to Toronto.
The best part about the hotel is the Downtown location with great access to numerous shopping stores, restaurants and also public transit.
The rooms too are nice and cosy and the breakfast served is decent.
Would recommend this hotel to people looking to stay in Downtown.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo