“Extraordinary delicious ”

John & Sons Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
John & Sons Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #608 of 9,246 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Cross street: Bay and Adelaide
Transit: King or Queen Station
Description: John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown is out of the way from the hustle and bustle of the financial core but at the same time right in the middle of it, hidden away. From ducking down our little street, you feel as though you are doing something deliciously wicked. When you walk in the door of our 40 seat joint, you feel as though you’ve stumbled upon the best speakeasy in town and you’re getting away with flouting all the rules while everyone else behaves. You may think you’ll only have a few oysters and a quick drink while you’re there, but everything around you conspires to make you want to stay longer. Our fare varies according to the time of year, coastal fishing quotas and weather conditions. We can always shuck to order from a selection of 5-10 different Oysters daily, drawn from both our own beds in P.E.I. and the best growers in Canada, the USA and further abroad.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

With multiple visits to Toronto with lot of culinary experiences at last I can literally state that I fell on the best ever oyster bar and signature cuisine with a super professional team on board that make your journey just wonderful
It s a must visit

Reviewed 24 March 2018

This is a funky place off of Bay Street, with a weird rectangular bar and a few other tables. It is not the most conducive place to have a business lunch/dinner given the seating and table arrangements. However, the food was good, albeit expensive. (Please note that they charge $8 for bread). I had the 1/2 dozen oysters and two starters: the octopus and the lingcod. The octopus was excellent, the others were very good. I also had the ice cream with toffee sauce for dessert. Good but not cheap!

Reviewed 16 February 2018

Went here late on a Friday night to pick up a gift certificate for a co-worker. Place was packed, which was not unexpected for a Friday night. It's kind of in a quirky spot and the place doesn't have a huge seating capacity which does give the place a nice cozy charm. I asked the waitress that approached me about getting a gift certificate and she said she didn't think they could process one that night. I asked if tomorrow would be a better day and she told me that I should talk to the manager. So, I sat at the bar and figured I may as well have a late dinner while I was there. Ordered 12 specialty oysters (east coast) and a fish dinner. Asked the manager about the gift card and was told that tomorrow wouldn't work either since their system has been down for some time (weeks, months??). She was quite apathetic about the whole thing. She also dropped off my oysters once shucked along with their jars of sauces. No words, no explanation of the sauces, just dropped them and walked away. My waitress came by moments later and I asked about the grated horseradish that was supposed to accompany the oysters and was told that they were out. She then asked if the manager explained the sauces and when I told her no that she didn't say a word, the waitress explained them quite well. As disappointing as the service and attitude was from the manager, service from the waitress was friendly and excellent. Oysters were excellent and the fish was decent. Dinner was expensive as expected and no discount for the lack of grated horseradish. No gift card at the end of the night. I left and decided to take the subway over to Rodney's and order a gift card oyster shell. No repeat business from me and no way I'd buy a gift card (even if you had them) now for a friend. Should went to Rodney's in the first place.

1  Thank rebel1
Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Oysters were good so if that’s all you are looking for this fine. Otherwise, the menu is pretty limited. The fish tacos are bland and the bread and butter consists of warmed up stale bread with a pat of cold butter.

1  Thank smac08
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Great little place, good sea food, always enjoy when I go there, oysters is to die for, good quality food. Money well spent.