“Lovely food, mediocre service, high involuntary tip”
Review of MoRoCo Chocolat

Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Bay Street
Transit: Steps away from the TTC Bay Station
Reviewed 8 May 2016

The afternoon tea was very elegant and there was lots of food. Two of us had high tea, which included a small main course dish. The tea was served in different silver teapots. Great tastes and well presented.
The down side was that service was very slow and the waitress was not very pleasant, and even forgot one of the items we'd ordered until we had to walk from the table to remind her. Perhaps the fact that an automatic 18.5% tip was added. Usually such a tip is only added to parties of 6 or more, not just three people, and we all thought 18.5% was extreme.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

Came here over the weekend with my moms, sister and my 2year old daughter for an early Mother’s Day celebration.

When we were seated at our table, take note there’s 5 of us, we were given a table the size of about 36” in circumference. Really?! I had reserved us for an afternoon high tea for 4 adults ($60/ea) and ended up ordering the ridiculously priced $20 Mad Hatter’s Tea for my daughter because they were going to charge my 2 year old a sharing fee of $10 to share our food with us, so we figured might as well spend a bit extra to actually get more food. I think this sharing fee for kids (toddlers in my case) is stupid!

For the portions given it’s quite generous enough for an afternoon tea that 2 people can definitely share the tower, however, the fact that their sandwiches had the filing of paper thin to almost non-existent items was just horrible! The food is worse that pre-prepared food at the grocery store. Scones were so hard you could kill a pigeon with it. And to see the 18.5% mandatory gratuity automatically applied to our bill was the cherry on top of my disgust. Don’t get me wrong, our service was at most what a normal expectation of what service should be, but to automatically apply it for our small group is just Effed up!

Too bad this was my first high tea experience because I am definitely turned off from it and also from Moroco Chocolat. Don’t waste your money here. It’s an over-priced establishment that I’m sure is pricing their sub-par food to keep them afloat to make it work for their rent fees in Yorkville.

4  Thank CatGracey
Reviewed 26 March 2016

What a horrible experience. The wait staff made a mistake with the bill and the supervisor started to yell at us for contesting it. He stood up to us as though he was going to hit one of the guys. It looked like something from a movie. All this over less than $5. It was disgusting. We decided to leave and avoid the massive confrontation. Would never recommend. One other thing - there is a 18.5% mandatory gratuity!

5  Thank kien m
Reviewed 17 March 2016

Booked a table for 9 people, recieved the WORST customer service - had the server throw her hands up in the air and hit her thighs because we asked for 1 chair - asked for 1 person to pay the whole bill because they couldnt split it up for each person or even have 2 ppl share 1 bill. Additionally, my sister asked for no cheese (dairy allergy) - they bought out another one but told her she had to pay for both dishes. Super rude service from the hostess and the server, totally ruined my sister's bridal shower. Not to mention that their food was craptastic - I could have served a better high tea session myself. OH and there was a sharing charge of $10 because I shared some of my food, LOL.

4  Thank anisahaq
Reviewed 19 February 2016

Me and my wife went here for dessert and we had ordered 'A Black Tie Affair'. It looked like the cake was made of dark chocolate but when we tasted it, it was simply amazing! Probably one of the best chocolate cake slice I have tasted.

It was pricey but it was worth it! If you are in the area then do make sure to give this place a go! Thumbs up!

1  Thank Bkap11