“Great Experience”
Review of Ambassador Hotel

Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

I'm really not sure what some of these negative reviews are referring too. My only grumble was having to walk from my car to the inside to access my room for the first time, after that I could access the car from the room like a motor inn style motel...and that complaint is one borne of personal laziness! I had cause to travel to Sudbury on business with a companion and this was the most economical of the legitimate choices on hotels.com. I was not disappointed.

Location

This hotel is located out on the Kingsway past Berrydowne. Convenient to New Sudbury, 4km or so from downtown, and a good 15 mins from Health Sciences North.

General Impressions

The lobby of the hotel is beautiful showing signs of the former Ambassador in its glory in the 70s and the modern Ambassador today. Arriving at 10 pm I was pleased to find my reservation still in good standing. The front desk was pleasant and certainly helpful. Check in was prompt, and yes; the key for the room was indeed a key. Quaint sure, but why go to the expense of installing a card system when there is nothing wrong with the old? Security was present in the lobby which was appreciated given the attached nightclub (which on a Tuesday night was not open). A nice personal touch was being met in the hallway by the cute security guard who was bringing myself and my travel companion ice in a pitcher with glasses for our wine he saw us carry in....We'd asked him for directions to the ice machine on the way in and then I met him in the hallway on the way to the ice machine!!!!! Huge customer service win, should have gotten his number ;) !!!!!!!! In the morning while checking out I did see remnants of a continental breakfast, however I was well past 10am checking out. I also understand there is a beautiful indoor pool in the facility, though I did not go exploring.

Room

The room was a typical hotel room; nothing special, nothing to be remarked of the size. The bed was however extraordinary! I booked a king suite on the ground floor and the bed was so incredibly comfortable! There was also a desk, lounge chair and closet hanging area. Linens were clean as were the coverings. The flat screen television had a decent selection of channels however we both had our IPads, so the free WiFi was put to good use!

Bathroom

Bathroom was small, but not unmanageably tiny. Standard stool, bathtub/shower combo and vanity. Included was your standard soaps, shampoos etc. The notable addition for ladies was a complimentary makeup removal wet sponge. Also in the bathroom was where you would find the complimentary coffee maker with all of the fixings...and even ceramic mugs for in house consumption! Words of advise; use the provide drummer mat for the floor...the ceramics are incredibly slippery stepping out of the shower! There was also a hairdryer.

In short I would most certainly recommend The Ambassador Hotel. If you are travelling to Sudbury for business or pleasure and don't mind driving to your destinations this is a place to consider! I far prefer to support a Mom and Pop joint vs a corporation as a small business owner myself. These people are working hard to make sure your stay is pleasurable.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 February 2016 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times in the past and have noticed some nice changes and decor done to the rooms. They have a right at home feel and the rooms are very clean!! The staff is great and the complimentary breakfast is a bonus! It is right in the heart of New Sudbury with many restaurants(including the one attached to the hotel) EXCELLENT food btw and many other stores and shopping centres. All around a wonderful hotel with everything you need right in one! Nightlife, restaurant and stay :)

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2016

Disgusting.... Was told it was recently renovated. That was a lie. Stayed there 10 years ago nothing has changed..... They don"t want kids there . Some staff were great one for sure obviously don't like kids..... They say they have a pool and that is true, but we were told that it was under pool maintenance from 5 pm to 8 pm which we thought was odd only to find out later that it was rented to a private party. One staff member was continually telling the well behaved kids to be quiet ,but at 1 in the morning you are hearing the music from the bar that is in the hotel.... $40 for a cot go across the road to Costco and get a air mattress for $20.....Never mind that find another motel.... My son tried to sleep on the pullout couch woke up on the floor said it was more comfortable..... As for the complimentary breakfast put it this way if you are a group of 10, 4 of you can got to wait in the lobby for a table to become available.....Absolutely the worst hotel stay of my life... If you have to stay in the area there is 2 motels 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank twistedknee2016
Reviewed 29 January 2016 via mobile

I stayed here last week for two nights. I checked in during a snowstorm, and let me tell you, the staff was wonderful! I needed help bringing a few things in, and they went out of the way completely, as to Come outside and help me gather my things. I checked into my room with a king size bed, with ease and wow... What a bed! So comfortable! The shower was wonderful, the breakfast was nice, and the staff was absolutely charming. Upon checking in, I received a coupon for the restaurant, so I decided to make my way up there, and I wasn't disappointed. The food was wonderful, as was the staff! This location was central and close to where I needed to be, so I will definitely be staying here again for future business trips!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

We stayed here last August. I'm a little late writing this but nonetheless I thought I should warn people not to stay here. There are no elevators and it is out dated. The washrooms were old and they charge for local calls. I stayed with my mom who thought the toiletry bag in the washroom was mine. She used the dental floss. Only to find out it wasn't hers or mine. It was left there by the previous guest! When I went down for breakfast the person at the front desk was yelling at the housekeeping staff telling them if they wanted to keep their job they better do a better job. She also was talking about the owner saying "you don't want her coming to talk to you. She is really mad and she is scary". It was highly inappropriate and I had my 9 year old daughter with me. She was wondering why the girl was yelling. And she told them the fact that people found dirty underwear behind curtains was disgusting. Next time maybe bring your staff to a separate room and talk to them like people with respect. It was on the verge of employee harassment. When we checked out we complained about this toiletry bag being left in our room . We also said how disappointed we were because we have stayed at the ambassador in Kingston and it was amazing. The front desk stated this place was completely different and offered no apology. Also, the pool was like ice. There is a hotel with suites across the street with a pool and the same price. Go there instead.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family