“This place is the Cat’s meow.”

The Cheshire Cat Pub
Ranked #52 of 3,111 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stopped for lunch at The Cat for the first time since it was rebuilt. If I didn’t know there had previously been a total loss fire there I wouldn’t have been able to perceive any real change to the place. Kudos to everyone involved to make it like it Was, because it was and still is awesome.

Service was very prompt and courteous. There are loads of tap beer to choose from. I had the Hot beef and Yorkie and my wife had the fish and chips. The hot beef was amazing. The beef was tender and flavourful, the gravy was properly rich. And the Yorkshire pudding had the proper texture. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her fish and chips. The batter was light, the fish was fresh and not over cooked.

We’ll make sure to visit more often in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

A wonderful atmosphere, staff are amazing and food.....fantastic! The place buzzes with excitement. We were there on a Thursday for dinner....it was packed. The fish is delicious with just the right amount of batter. One can eat outside when weather permits. Looking forward to a return visit!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I have been a fan of The Cheshire Cat for years. While not a regular, I frequent once or twice per season for years and have never been disappointed. This past Sunday afternoon (September 30), we drop in and have beer and wine and apps in the bar area as usual. As usual, the food and drinks and service were great. The issue? While dining and drinking, an employee (for her pre-shift meal) sat at the bar stool directly in front of us and kicked off her sandals and tucked her bare feet onto the bar stool beside her - which was directly beside a couple at the bar who, I have to presume, didn't see the gross and offending gesture. If they had, I can only imagine they would have been more repulsed than my girlfriend and I since they were mere inches from her feet on the bar stool, not the 3 feet from our table. I'm not sure why a waitstaff, who I presume is cognizant of restaurant health concerns, would feel compelled to splay her feet along the bar stools at any time, let alone on a busy Sunday afternoon with customers in such proximity, eating and drinking. Frankly, perhaps I should have raised the matter at the time but a combination of the early dinner crowd coming in and our desire to vacate as soon as possible after the offending act, dimmed my desire to do so at the time. Once again, we love the service and drink and food, and will be back again, but I feel management (better late than never) to be aware so that they can remind (some of) their staff of what's acceptable behaviour. Cheers.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

Well, we love this place and it’s such a treat for us to make it here. A nice Saturday afternoon, so we sat outside. As usual the service is excellent and prompt. My wife had their one piece fish and chips and I had their poutine. The fish and chips were, as usual, excellent. So fresh that the batter separates from the fish and you get nice hot steam! My poutine, however, was very less than average; in fact, I prefer BK’s better! It pains me to state this, for the Cheshire Cat has a great rep for food, drink, service and setting. We are giving it a 4 still, for this place over the years has delivered great food very consistently. They need to work on their poutine, though. More cheese curds, more savoury gravy and not served in a skillet. We highly recommend this place otherwise, and we will return. Just don’t have the poutine.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Drop in on the spur of the moment. Unique setting a little out of the way. Service was excellent and the food was very good. Even my nephew enjoyed himself. Very pub like decor.