All reviews king loft macdonald room smallest room hard wood floors byward market sandy hill private bathroom other guests bed was very comfortable fresh fruit parliament hill each morning both mornings minute walk lovely room first morning two nights
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Kevan was very hospitable host. Everything I needed was there. The bed was very comfortable, everything was clean and tidy. There's Tea and Coffee making equipment on the landing.

The hard wood floors do make it a little noisy if moving around whilst others are asleep. A nice to have would have been a power point closer to the bed for ease of charging my phone overnight.

It's about a mile from Downtown, I used the bus which takes less than 10 minutes and run past midnight. The bus stop is about 2 minutes walk away.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2018

The house shows its years, but in a very good way. Lots of character. I personally loved the exterior. Kevan our hosts was most welcoming and his father was just as pleasant. The interior is impeccable. I had a room with a private shower/washroom. Location great. Parking just a few small blocks away but very manageable. I agree that you do hear some noise from the hallway however one might have the same in a hotel. I had not stayed in a B & B for over 20 years however selected Benners B & B due to prices asked for hotels in town. If I were to return to a B & B in Ottawa, I would most definitely stay their.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Lets start with the pluses. Manager and staff accommodating and pleasant. Quiet neighbourhood. The room was clean and modern in decor. Separate kitchen with cutlery etc. Real coffee, fresh milk provided for in-room morning coffee.
On the other hand.... i dont like having to take off my shoes at the building’s front door. The parking is actually 2 blocks away. Lots of stairs. Our room, the Loft, (aka the attic) should not have been rented, temporary issue or not - no lock/doorknob.. just a hole covered with duct tape where there had been one. The door in fact is an old heavy attic door which had to be lifted up while standing in the stairwell. Breakfast is communal style and is a fixed menu, no options.. you take what you are given... carbs, little protein. Fresh fruit provided was high in natural sugars(carbs).
But the killer in all this was the bed; the sole thing I cannot/will not forgive any hotelier is a bad bed and this was bad. Hard as a rock with what seemed like a spring about middle, running across the bed so both people were impacted. When brought up the manager acknowledged he had received ‘a few comments’ about the bed.
No decent restaurant nearby, primarily low grade ethnic ones. Byward Market and a plethora of places is about 45min walk. We found the place short on value for the tariff charged, ($340/2nights) simple does not warrant a price $40/night more than a nearby Hilton/Hampton.
We would have left after the first (of two) night but for lack of an available option. The manager was prepared to waive the second night charge. Even excluding the ‘temporary’ issues we cannot recommend this place, the value is simply not there.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank im44
Reviewed 17 March 2018

I stayed for one night back in November. I enjoyed the room, which was clean and spacious with an en suite bathroom. There was some noise incursion from the hallway, but not too bad. The wifi was reliable. There was a very good breakfast in the morning. It was a 15-20 minute walk to the Byward Market, which was a bit of a slog in the snow, but that was the only downside. This is a reasonably priced option in downtown Ottawa and I'd stay here again.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2017

We both liked it here, and would be happy to recommend it and to stay here again.
The B&B occupies 2 addresses, 541 and 538 Besserer St. But it is a semi with a shared porch, so if you we’re travelling with others it wouldn’t be a problem to be spread between the addresses.

Our room was in the 539 address. We found it clean and well maintained. I’ll admit to liking places on the extra-clean side (I travel with wet-wipes, and wiped down common things like light switches, door knobs, and handles), and I have no complaints here, it’s clean.

There’s a common living room on the main floor.
The owner lives on site, and the home is well maintained and well run.
I like the old-house charm, our room had exposed brick on one side, but with an airy feel to our room.
The bed was comfortable, and the room had a small fridge/freezer.

Little touches I liked:
* Good internet reception
* In-room coffee maker used filters with ground coffee (I like this better than plastic pods)
* Shared area had a cabinet with refills of things you might like (milk for coffee, tea, glasses, linens), that you could help yourself to
* Owner shared his number and committed to 24 hour service. We had a small issue with the toilet (the tank started running), and he came and fixed it immediately.

Tips:
* You should be able to climb stairs with your luggage to stay here, on the 539 side I did not see any main floor rooms. Also there’s steps up to the porch.
* They accommodated my vegan preference for breakfast. I ordered vegan for my husband (who mostly eats this way), and he wished he’d stuck with the regular breakfast, as the waffles looked impressive.
* Parking was about 2 blocks away, open air parking. There was lots of 1 hour parking on-street for loading/unloading luggage. The street parking is also available for overnight (7pm-7am)

Longer Stay Tip
* We tried to book the King Loft on the 541 side (large room with a little solarium), but it was not available. Over breakfast we met the people staying there and they like the room. It looks perfect for a longer stay. If we go again we’re going to book early and try for this room

Family Stay Tip
* We stayed in the Ashwood Suite - which would be great for families (it’s the entire 3rd floor). It has 2 rooms with a shared bathroom between them. You can also go between the rooms from the shared landing

Room tip: See review for tips for long stay or family. You will have to climb stairs to porch and room.
Date of stay: November 2017