All reviews underground parking baseball stadium bistro restaurant st laurent bar sink top floor marriott courtyard starbucks coffee minute drive convention center huge room fridge and microwave close to downtown rooms are spacious easy access check in was quick pool and hot tub
Reviewed 25 October 2018

I chose to stay at this property because of it’s location and affordability. It is close to the highway. Park in the parking structure which is well lit and has elevator access to the hotel. There is a huge parking lot in front of the hotel, but it is not well lit and not maintained with major potholes. Check in was friendly, but loud as they announced my name and phone number to everyone that was in earshot in the lobby. The room was very generous in size with lots of counter space, but the furniture didn’t seem to match the room. It was small and dorm like. I felt like I was in school. The lighting was very dim. There were lots of outlets for your electronics so that was very convenient. If you have more than one person staying in the room, you may want to request more shampoo, conditioner and body wash. They use Paul Mitchell which is a fantastic brand, however the size of the bottles are very small. The hairdryer was powerful and light. They have a small bistro-like eat in area in the lobby that sells Starbucks coffee and inexpensive simple breakfast items like oatmeal and fruit that you can take to go. They also have a little tuck shop at the front desk for snacks and drinks. Give yourself lots of time in the morning if you are commuting for work or have time constraints. It is very busy getting out of the hotel. It was helpful that the hotel posted a sign in the elevator alerting guests of traffic conditions.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
GillesAGM, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2018

Greetings parimuu,

We are delighted to have been your chosen hotel during your recent stay in Ottawa. It was
truly a pleasure to serve you. We extend our heartfelt thanks for such a glowing and informative review!

We appreciate your business and value your honest feedback. Your comments have been shared with
the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver exceptional service
to guests like you.

Thank you for staying at the Courtyard Ottawa East and we hope you choose to create more memories with
us whenever your travels bring you back to Ottawa.

Yours, in Hospitality,
GILLES LEBRUN
Assistant General Manager \ Directeur adjoint
Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa East
gilles.lebrun@marriott.com

Reviewed 19 October 2018

I booked a 5-night stay at Courtyard Ottawa East with points for a rock-bottom 10k pts per night before August, and with 5th night free it brought the net cost down to 8k pts per night. Unfortunately this property went up to 17.5k pts per night in August.

The location of the hotel can be good or bad, depending on one’s purpose for being in Ottawa. It is about a 45-min walk to downtown and a 25-min drive from the airport. The location is only favorable if you attend an event at the convention center, which is attached to the hotel so you don’t have to step foot outside to go to meetings which can be great in the winter. Cash rates at the Courtyard are not particularly cheap because they host lots of guests going to the convention center. So unless you have an event there, you will most likely overpay because you’ll have the convenience of something you do not need. At the very least, since the hotel is not centrally located, you get free parking on site.

The rooms are quite decent since this hotel is not very old (2010 construction). Rooms are clean, in good shape, spacious, and I like having a microwave and mini-fridge. In the bathroom I appreciate having a separate shower from the bathtub. The bedroom has a sofa-bed which can be useful if you stay there with children. I also think the rolling table gives good working space in addition to the fixed table. One of the few negatives about the room is that the bed was not particularly comfortable compared to other options such as the Sheraton Ottawa and Westin Ottawa hotels downtown where I always sleep well. The other negative about the Courtyard if you are Platinum: they don’t give upgrades as far as I know. I never got one here.

The Platinum breakfast benefit has improved since August because it’s now $10 credit per night so for my stay I got $50. Don’t get me wrong, I do not mean to complain about something which is clearly better than before, but my opinion is that it remains short of the competition. The hotel cheapened out by providing 10 CAD credit (exchange rate 1.30 so <8 USD) while Marriott announced that the Courtyard brand would give 10 USD credit for breakfast. Breakfast items are somewhat overpriced at The Bistro: a small yogurt with a tiny bit of fruits and granola was $9 and a small mixed fruit bowl was also $9. If we compare to the adjoining Hampton Inn, guests get free breakfast while at The Bistro the price tag can easily be something like $25 including tax (so $15 out of pocket) with small portions, whereas at Hampton Inn you can get free refills as desired. Last but not least, on my first morning I ordered a fruit bowl, went up to my room, only to discover that some strawberries had mold on them. I returned the fruits to Bistro and was refunded with apology from the manager. They handled it well, but the entire breakfast experience was not very positive nonetheless.

All in all, this hotel was fine for a cheap points redemption, but at 17.5k pts per night it no longer makes sense. Cash rates are not particularly attractive so unless someone attends a meeting at the convention center on a corporate rate, I would not recommend this hotel because of price, the lack of Platinum suite upgrades, and the Platinum breakfast benefit which is improved but still leaves to be desired. Depending on dates I can pay a bit more money and stay downtown at Sheraton which has a Club Lounge, or Westin which gives suite upgrades based on availability and a good breakfast, or my favorite option the Andaz which has a great Globalist breakfast, suite upgrades more generous than the Westin, great location in the By Ward market, and only moderately more expensive than Courtyard (once again, depending on dates). If I ever want to have a cheap 1-night stay at the convention center, I am more likely to stay at Hampton Inn than Courtyard because Hilton has more frequent stay-based promotions than Marriott, which can make the net price of a 1-night stay relatively attractive and the breakfast value is better too.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
GillesAGM, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Greetings Nongpla_31,
Thank you for your stay at our hotel and for posting this candid review. We sincerely apologize for those issues which negatively affected your guest experience with us and for the problems with your meal, the loyalty program, and other issues you mentioned. This is not the level of service we generally provide and most certainly does not meet our standards. We have shared your comments with our entire team and we will take the appropriate action to correct and/or prevent these issues from happening again. We hope to have another occasion to better serve you and meet your expectations on a future stay.
Regards,
Team Courtyard Ottawa East

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

We arrived late in the evening without a reservation. We were quickly checked in and provided directions to the underground parking. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. The bed was great as were the pillows. The breakfast buffet and menu selections were plentiful. My husband had the buffet and I had a breakfast harvest bowl which were both delish!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2018

The hotel was extremely busy and felt that the staff was caught up in some weekend event/conference. Had to request a few of the housekeeping items twice. Also, the wait for elevator was twice as long at most times. Clean and standard hotel otherwise.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
GillesAGM, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Greetings Saumya G,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.
While it is true that our hotel is a busy place, our Team does its best to accommodate every guests' needs; we certainly hope that you were not neglected in any manner, but we do apologize if your requests were not handled promptly. We look forward to the opportunity to better serve you in the near future, and enable us to earn our 5/5 rating.
Best regards,
Gilles Lebrun, AGM
Team Courtyard Ottawa East

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the courtyard because all other hotels were filled. We prefer the Delta or any other 4 star hotel. We opted for the courtyard as it is part of Marriot so I figured it would be nice. we pulled up it looked nice and we checked in and were instructed to park underground. We drove down there and saw all kinds of rubbish and old mattresses and urinals and old beer bottles stacked up really not very pleasing.
My wife is disabled and there were 3 cars we tried to park in the disabled section but cars were there and I had been there for a while without any wheelchair plate or stickers and had been there for a while because they were dust covered and people were writing words on one of them. one was a black BMW all scrapped up. What the heck is there no one checking down there it was very dusty and dirty with garbage all over ground. I was gonna say something but I'm sure they wouldnt do a darn thing about it judging by the look of the rest of the parking area. I found a spot for out 2018 Acadia Denali so as not to get hit by someone else's door which I would be to have to worry about if someone checked that lowlifes dont take a disabled section. so we go up and get off on our floor it seemed ok and the room was large and clean but man the bed was a hard rock. So my wife was very hungry as i was so I thought there was room service but there wasn't we were tired so I went to get food and it was like pulling hens teeth and on girl acted like in was bothering her. I persevered and ordered some food and had a drink while I waited for it. it came in a plastic bag like some cheap takeout and took it upstairs. My wifes food was half there and grilled cheese was crunched up. My chicken wasn't bad really but the brocolli was all stems and not tops. otherwise mine wasn't bad. For the price and reputation of a marriot if fell quite short of our explanations and I spoke to at least 8 people randomly and there agreed the beds were very hard
I could only sleep for 20 min at a time because I had to turn over and was numb each time. New beds are needed right away.
I will never stay again because of the experience. We have stayed at many marriotts and deltas all over canada and thought it was misrepresented by far although the employees seemed nice at desk but only one breakfast per room was allotted I would gladly pay for a breakfast if service was more inclusive. it's not the money because at delta you have valet and room service and pay for parking but service is exceptional and we tip accordingly. this is my first review and I'm sorry to give it an d minus and should be downgraded to a 2 star status until things improve and maybe put price up what ever is needed to make the guest confartable.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank south2shore
GillesAGM, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Greetings Douglas W

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Courtyard Ottawa East and providing your honest feedback on the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel teams to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.

Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to better serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Ottawa.

GILLES LEBRUN