“Welcome to Ottawa???”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #34 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 19 September 2017

My plane landed at midnight and after travelling across Canada all day (2 flights and a 5 hour drive) I was exhausted and ready for some sleep. I got a taxi to the Swiss hotel at 1.00 am where I had booked a room for two nights advising them when booking that I would be there between 1 and 2am.
I was initially a bit surprised to see the hotel entrance door locked and when I picked up the phone and dialled the displayed contact number, nobody replied. I tried this 2 or 3 times with no luck and then saw a switch on the wall, which had a sign alongside saying "Only press in an emergency" This I pressed a couple of times and then the phone rang. A very irritable woman spoke, asking me what I was doing. I explained I had a reservation for two nights. She told me the hotel was full and to go away. She then hung up. I pressed the switch again and she rang the phone again, this time very hostile. I said I had all the paperwork in my hands, the booking confirmation and the late arrival. She told me to go away, there were no rooms and I was waking up the guests. I said if she wasn’t going to let me in, then would she please give me her name. She refused to do so. This time I found her tone to be very aggressive. I then left and wandered the streets of Ottawa carrying all my luggage. The following day I found that the Swiss Hotel took the full cost for my room from my credit card. This is exactly what happened to me

Room Tip: Go to the Business Inn instead. They will let you in
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Barry M
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear guest,
To begin I would like to apologize for what happened when you arrived at our hotel. We value all of our guests and understand that without them our business could not succeed and we are very disappointed that you had the experience here that you did. When the phone was answered, we did not hear you state clearly that you had a reservation - we heard only that you needed a room. We were sold out that evening and in our system it appeared that everyone had already checked in due to an error where a guest with a similar name had been checked in under your name by mistake. For this we deeply apologize and I will look to remedy this procedure in the future. In the morning when I received your wife's email and realized what had happened I contacted you through Booking.com and I refunded your payment immediately in an attempt to remedy the situation, though we understand that that does not change what you experienced. We appreciate your feedback however, and we will strive to do better in the future should a similar situation occur.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

The location is good - and why I chose this hotel. Front desk guy was very nice, which prompted my 3 rating. It was not the best home base with gold clubs. No elevator and the stairs are narrow. Didn't work great for me, but maybe a good couple hotel? As nice as the front desk guy was, his recommendation for Chez Lucien seemed to really. It's the mark), rated that a 2).

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank you for leaving us your thoughts! We are happy that your interactions with our staff were good, but are sorry you didn't enjoy their recommendations! The market is home to 130 restaurants, and we hope if you come back to Ottawa you find something there more to your liking! Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We only stayed one night here but wished we could have stayed more. This place was really amazing, CLEAN! cute, nice people, comfy bed. They give you a Nespresso machine in your room with 3 pods mmmmm. They give you chocolates on your bedside table, and housecoats to wear during your stay, AND they give you an Ipad in your room for use while your there. This place was super styled, the room made me want to spend time in it rather than sight seeing ;) They also had a cute outside back garden sitting place which was super nice but we didn't spend time in it. The not so great but overlookable: people came into the room above us at like 2 in the morning and because it is an older building with wooden floors it was crazy loud. There is no elevator and you have to do some good stairs with suitcases. I would for sure stay here again if I was to go back to Ottawa. We paid about $10 more for this hotel than an econo chain hotel that we also stayed at on this trip for 1 night, because we couldn't get into this hotel the first night we were through. The Econo hotel would have rated maybe a 3/10 and this one would have been a 9/10 in my books, well worth the extra $10 to support a local hotel rather than a chain. final thought, this place was immaculate, whoever does the cleaning there really cares about a job well done. You should stay here ;)

Room Tip: if your on the top floor, no noisy people will be above you;)
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

We are very grateful that you took the time to write us this review, and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We put a lot of thought into our amenities, and it is wonderful that you took full advantage! We certainly hope to see you should your travels ever bring you through Ottawa again!

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for one night. It was such a lovely hotel. It looks beautiful from the outside and is well decorated on the inside. It was also very clean.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

We used the hotel parking which is accessible from the street. You can drive straight into the available spaces and it is easy to pay for parking as part of settling up the bill for the room

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts in this review!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Hotel rooms are very small , put are very clean . Staff was excellent , hotel is close to Rideau centre and by ward market .
This is not the hotels problem , however homeless and addicts roam the area. This is a problem that the city of Ottawa needs to address . Does not help this quaint hotel

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Sabina S, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you for leaving us your thoughts about our hotel, we appreciate you taking the time! Ottawa is currently in the process of many changes, including the recent expansion of the Rideau Centre, renovations to Rideau Street, and the long-awaited light rail transit system. We are excited about these changes, and we hope you come through Ottawa again in the future to see them for yourself! Thank you again for writing us the review.