“Excellent choice”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #34 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I was very happy with my stay at the Swiss hotel.

The lady who runs it has to be the most enthusiastic, engaging person i've met on a reception desk, it took me 20 mins to check in just because she was so engaging to chat too!

I had booked a special 3 night deal, so just $100 a night including all taxes. I had booked the economy room, and it was spotless, incredibly modern, but quite possibly the smallest room i have ever stayed in.

As it was just me this didn't trouble me at all, if i had been with my husband it might have been a struggle. (if you are a couple i would recommend paying more for the larger rooms)

But i just loved the decor, the shower was great (but the bathroom very small!) and the bed was incredibly comfortable.

Free, fast wi-fi, and an I-pad in every room. I faced the road, but it was very quiet, so the sound proofing was good.

I had breakfast on the last day, which was delicious, fruit and cereal, cooked food, yoghurts, pastries, juices, croissants, breads etc etc. I think this cost $14.

The location was near the Byward market, which had a places to eat, but i was a bit disappointed with it, was actually all a bit run down. A very easy 20 min walk to the Parliament buildings and everything else in that area.

Next door was the Barefoot hostel run by the same lady, i didn't have chance to check it out, but if the standards of the Swiss hotel are anything to go by (and your budget is tighter) i would definitely check it out.

Room Tip: No lifts and lots of stairs, so you may want to request a ground floor room!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 July 2011

Our stay was wonderful in this very cozy hotel. Very friendly staff, excelent room and great breakfast. Congratulations !

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at the Swiss Hotel for two nights over Canada Day and couldn't have been more pleased. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and the room was compact, but clean and had everything you would need. I think the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! There is a private patio out back where you are feel to sit and enjoy a glass of wine or whatever you like, which we did. Very nice ... The building that houses the hotel is over 100 years old and is very quaint . The rooms have been recently renovated and are tastefully done. The hotel is located very near to Parliament Hill and the Byward Market as well as other tourist attractions . We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go . Overall we had a wonderful experience at the Swiss Hotel and would certainly stay here again when we return to Ottawa. One thing to be aware of is that the hotel does not have elevators, so if stairs are an issue for you request something on the ground floor .

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I was staying at another hotel but did not like the room there so booked a room at the Swiss Hotel on the internet at 8 pm for the next night. Unfortunately, i was mistakenly charged for 2 nights (both the night I booked for & the night before). When i went to check in the next day at 5pm , the owner (a very very nice lady) asked where i had been as they had waited until 1 am the night before for me to arrive. Someho, they had thought that when i had book the room at 8 pm that i wanted a room for that night as well as the next night.

So because i had not received an e-mail confirmation at the time of the online booking (i received a e-mail confirmation after arriving the next day), i had no evidence to prove that i had not booked for the night before. As the owner is a very nice lady, possibly i had made an error when booking. So the owner gave me a 50% discount for the one night. So the lesson is to book by phone (not by the internet.
In a minor manner, the hotel advertises having High definition television. It is true the TVs' are HD capable but the hotel does not subscribe to the HD channels offered by the cable provider. So, the Hotel does not have HDTV. This seems like a minor point, but one of the reasons i booked the hotel was to watch game 7 of the stanley cup final in HD (as i am from Vancouver).
But aside from the above, the hotel is very nice.. a real charmer.. hardwood floors, rain forest showers, heritage building. The location is great... yes there are a few youth hostels around but the area is close the byward market, liquor & grocery store.
My rating is reduced to 3 stars because of the booking problem.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Dear KountCristo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our establishment. Allow me to respond to each one of your points individually.
We have a direct booking system with instant availability, rates and confirmation. All reservations are live, 24/7. That means once a reservation has been made, our system automatically sends a confirmation email to the guest's inbox with details of the reservation. For this reason, we are not able to say why your confirmation email was not received - it may have been overlooked or sent to a spam folder.
As for your comment about the High Definition Television (HDTV), you are perfectly right. We do have flat screen televisions with HD capability, but do not subscribe to HDTV. Our apologies. We have amended our website accordingly.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel. We have recently renovated to modernize our 1872 heritage building and make our guests' stay as comfortable as possible.

We hope to have you stay with us again,

All the best,

Sabina

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Was in Ottawa for then entire week and I loved every night of it. Very unassuming propertie but extremely friendly. Breakfast was prepared by the owner/chef/front desk staff and her heart went into everything. Absolutely loved it and will definitely will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business