All reviewsparliament hillbyward marketrideau canalan older hotellimited parkingtwo queen bedswithin walking distancewar memorialbit datedsmall kitchenettehuge roomother attractionsliving roomdowntown coresparks streetmini fridgesignal
Reviewed 24 February 2016

I was in Ottawa on business during a major winter storm where a record-breaking 51 cm snow fell during the work day. I had an important event at the Governor General's residence, Rideau Hall, in the evening. It was, however, next to impossible to get a taxi that day. The staff was incredible as they tried to find me a taxi - scoping out cabs on the street, calling my room regularly to keep me updated, etc. I was waiting and watching the incredibly hard-working doorman shovel to clear the snow as well as try to keep his eyes open for passing cabs, when one of the managers (John) came over and said, "It is getting late for your event. I'm getting my coat. Come on, I will drive you myself." Has anyone ever had the hotel manager drive them anywhere?? What amazing help on this difficult day. John was very kind and even managed to give me a mini-tour of a historical section of the city as we navigated the snowdrifts and stuck vehicles. I made my event with time to spare. I have to mention also that the front desk ladies were also very friendly and helpful. But John and the tireless young doorman - you will NOT find that kind of customer service in a big chain.

That said, it is true that the hotel is "vintage-shabby". The gym is not a gym - it is a couple pieces of lower level fitness equipment. A few yoga mats and a nice set of weights would be a good addition. They have towels and the room is clean. The housekeeping in my room was so-so. The room itself was spacious and bright, but really dated.

Location is superb. Honestly, I would return in a heartbeat because of the location and helpfulness of the staff. I'd rather be in a dated place with lovely people than a lovely place with no personality.

Room Tip: I had a cute balcony on the 10th floor facing the activities on Albert Street. I liked seeing the storm in action.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Spzjlb
Capital88, Director of Sales at Capital Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and the client service experience you received. The 51cm of snow we received in Ottawa was certainly record breaking, and our staff worked hard and furiously to try and keep the sidewalks and entrances clear of snow, but as fast as they could shovel, the snow just kept coming down. I can't say any of us had seen anything quite like the amount of snow that covered the city on that one day.

We are one of a few independent hotels in Ottawa that are not associated with a chain and our President, John, has always led by example in the friendly, genuine and helpful service that makes us.... us. Your kind comments have happily been passed along to all those working during the dates of your stay, and they are appreciated.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, on a future visit - hopefully you can explore the city during some warmer weather!

Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

... Great location, but :

Hairdryer caught fire within the first 5 seconds of use. Called for new one, and also told a few associates including those on the phone, the bellman who brought a new one up and the front desk associates - no apology or acknowledgement at ALL from any of them : is this a common incident then? Very strange and disappointing. Will likely never stay here again As to avoid small bathroom fires.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate K
Capital88, Director of Sales at Capital Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We do most definitely take any incidents that may occur very seriously, so this will be discussed and reviewed with both our Front Office Manager, and our Executive Housekeeper. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and are relieved to hear that you let us know immediately so we could bring a new one to your room right away.

We hope that you choose to stay with us again on a future visit, so that we have the opportunity to leave you with a more positive impression.

Reviewed 10 February 2016 via mobile

Per thin walls and doors. People down the hall finally settled down at 4 am. Didn't sleep at all. Told front desk and didn't do anything. Needs renovations for bathrooms, may rest, windows, doors floors and walls. What else is left?why not even serve coffee and tea in lounge area like other places? Best thing going for it is its location. Next time will stay elsewhere.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends

We are very sorry to hear that you weren't fully satisfied with your recent stay and we value and appreciate you feedback. We do have an on-site restaurant, which is open daily for breakfast from 7am-11am and weekdays for lunch from 11am-2pm; guests of the hotel are offered 10% off of their meals. Your suggestion will most definitely be forwarded to our General Manager.

It is always very unfortunate when an instance arises where a guest staying at the hotel may become noisy, unruly or uncooperative. Although the hotel cannot control the specific behaviour of those who stay, we can and do take the necessary measures to ensure that any issues that arise are dealt with in a prompt and efficient manner to provide our guests with a comfortable and safe stay.

We follow a very strict policy, which we adhere to, where if the hotel notices or is notified of any issue, the guest(s) in the room responsible for the disruption is promptly contacted, and advised that a complaint has been received and they are requested to refrain from making further noise. If they are uncooperative, and the disturbance persists, or if there is any aggressive behavior at all, the police are immediately contacted in order to terminate the disturbance as quickly as possible. This may include having the guest removed from the property, which in turn results in them not being able to stay at the hotel for future visits.

We thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and hope that we have the opportunity to host you at the hotel again on a future visit.

Reviewed 10 February 2016 via mobile

Rooms were old and tired. Mirrors too low, long hairs in the bathroom, bed was badly made. Staff were really nice and professional, restaurant on site with wonderful staff. Good TV selection; average decor. Would not be my first or second choice, but is not a bad one when you have limited options. Good price.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Ottawa, and for providing your feedback on your accommodations.

Your comments will most definitely be shared with our Executive Housekeeper, for her to review and remind staff on the importance of a good first impression. Our housekeepers with longer hair do tend to tie it back, however sometimes while they are cleaning a hair may become loose and fall. We thank you for the reminder on the importance of how something like this can be perceived, and it will be reviewed again with our staff.

We thank you again for taking the time to write a review, and hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Ottawa...

Reviewed 30 January 2016 via mobile

Location is fantastic - as for the rest - well the hotel is tired and the rooms are due for a renovation. But for the price and location - what do you expect? It is clean. My suggestion to management - splurge on putting new bathroom sink and shower fixtures. I would probably come back.

Stayed: January 2016
Capital88, Director of Sales at Capital Hill Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2016

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Ottawa. It sounds as though you may have been a room that has not yet had an updated washroom. In our slow season, we have been updating the bathrooms in our rooms with 2 Queen beds, so they will now have granite counters, new sinks, faucets, framed mirrors and new lighting. We now have only have 2 floors left to complete in December 2016. Please do not hesitate to ask for a room with an updated washroom when you are with us next.

Thank you for providing your feedback, and we look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to Ottawa.

With thanks and best regards,