3,633 results
All reviews gold floor zoe's lounge byward market rideau canal beautiful hotel classic hotel parliament hill deluxe room ottawa river war memorial valet parking an upgrade national gallery visiting ottawa laurier concierge canada
Reviewed 11 November 2018

After a disastrous lunch at another iconic Ottawa institution where we understandably chose to forfeit dessert, we thought we could depend on the Fairmont trademark to deliver a more authentic experience, but the experience was mixed or mediocre at most. For a fair appraisal, here are the pros and cons:
Pros:
(1)The serving staff were a delight -efficient without being officious or obsequious -and after we explained that we had essentially come for our sweets straight after a late lunch, they suggested that we share two afternoon tea orders with their three-tier stands (at 50 dollars each) among the four of us, and that they would then charge us for two extra pots of tea. This flexibility was much appreciated.
(2)We were seated in the raised section of the lounge beside those huge signature windows at the front of the building which offered a grand vista of the immediate vicinity.
(3) The range of speciality teas on offer was indeed impressive. I had a coffee chocolate blend with much oomph while my two Canadian friends had Chai which they said was pleasantly reminiscent of an Indian spice market. The fourth member of our party wanted a strong English Breakfast tea and the waiter recommended one which more than hit the mark.

Cons:
(1) The (Zoe's) lounge, with its soaring ceiling, crown mouldings and other period architectural features, was indeed a spectacular room, but even though we were in the raised section, this was still a crowded bar/lounge full of noisy banter and totally devoid of the serene atmosphere expected at a traditional afternoon tea.
(2) The cakes and sandwiches, despite their fancy descriptions, were nothing to crow about compared to their counterparts in an equivalent British establishment like the London Dorchester, Claridge's or the Savoy. Most disappointing was the so-called "clotted cream" which tasted like creme fraiche or double cream, and had neither the texture nor consistency of real clotted cream. To call that a misnomer is an understatement.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2018

While we appreciate that you enjoyed the service provided to you when you joined us for our Château Tea Experience, we regret the disappointment you encountered with the noisy patrons at the bar.

Your comments are certainly disappointing to us, but appreciated, nonetheless. Our Chef and his team will also be interested in this valuable feedback.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we do hope you return one day soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2018

I can't say enough nice things about my stay here. My room was small, as they often are in historic hotels, but it was luxurious and comfortable. I was feeling a bit grumpy initially as I made my way to what seemed like the room most distant from the elevators, but my grumpiness turned to delight when I entered the room and discovered that it overlooked the Rideau Canal locks and a park, giving me a fantastic view. The service was excellent. Everyone I interacted with was helpful and friendly.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

We are delighted that your stay in ‘Ottawa’s Castle’ was a memorable one and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

This is one of the great hotels in Canada. Excellent staff. Good food in the lounge and restaurant. Expensive. Ineffective air conditioning. Try a Gold Level room. My wife will not stay anywhere else in Ottawa.

Date of stay: January 2018
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Dear Brian,

We are delighted that you and your wife continue to enjoy your visits to Ottawa’s ‘castle’.

We value your loyalty and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2018

As usual, my stay at the Laurier was very good. I love this hotel.
It is always clean, the service is very good, and the rooms are lovely. I especially like having a window that opens.
The total ambiance of the building is terrific.
There were two little glitches: my exercise clothes never arrived and for some reason my choice for amenity was incorrect. No big deal, but a little lower than their usual superb standard.
For those who have never stayed here, the hotel is classic, elegant and welcoming. Great location.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2018

I just had three nights on the Gold Floor and it was. as usual excellent. The staff treat my with respect and friendship, the on floor breakfast is wonderful [and saves me the cost and time of going elsewhere] and the evening goodies with drinks remain delicious. The only concern is that the available light in the rooms after dark or when the blinds are closed make it very difficult to read.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with fairmont.com
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2018

Dear Bill,

We are so happy to hear that you continue to enjoy your time on our Gold floor.

Thank you for your observation and we hope to make improvements to the lighting levels in our guestrooms in the very near future.

We look forward to your next visit.