All reviews small mall mall across the street outdoor pool best westerns shoppers drug mart carleton university lots of parking restaurant downstairs easy access room was clean and comfortable excellent hotel front desk staff fitness center hotel restaurant convenient location close to downtown great place to stay
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I did not book a room before arriving in Ottawa, not expecting the hurricanes and Hydro One, but staff at BW Plus worked to help me find a room. Rooms are excellent and lots of amenities right in the hotel. It was a great experience and recommend for anyone

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank ayrhart
NiranA21, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Dear ayrhart,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am happy to hear that we were able to look after you during the terrible tornado that struck Ottawa recently. We look forward to welcoming you under a better circumstances.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I think I may have accidentally reviewed this hotel instead of the Downtown Suites property on Gladstone. This review is definitely for the Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre.

While the Downtown Suites property is very nice this place is somewhat questionable. I booked it by mistake as I THOUGHT I was booking Downtown Suites. While I won't say I was sorry I did I will say there are some differences.

On the positive side it was less expensive due to it's less advantageous location (8 KM's from Byward Market) and the parking is free while you pay for the parking garage at the other location. Considering we were meeting our kids in downtown it wasn't bad as we drove in and parked for $7 for the entire day in the Byward Market vs. $20/day for parking at a downtown hotel. The beds were comfortable and the room was reasonably clean.

The hotel is going under a renovation of sorts. I say "of sorts" because they certainly seem to be doing it half way. The common areas aren't bad but certainly nothing special. The room seemed to be recently renovated but again only part way. Some of the really ugly architectural finishes remained and much of the workmanship was poor. I have been in construction for 30 years and have been involved in many, many commercial revitalization projects. If we tried to get away with some of the crappy work like I saw we would have been called out. Maybe I am too sensitive to this kind of stuff but I found it pretty bad. I found it weird that they would replace the flooring, (albeit pretty poorly and with cheap materials) only to leave these ugly, yellowed plugs and switches on the wall. They look terrible- like they had been in a smoking room for the last 40 years. The lamp in the corner was broken and would not turn on leaving the only place to sit and read in a chair where there was an ultra bright ceiling fixture by the window. While there appeared to be a new thermostat the heat/cool unit looked kind of old and where it plugged in was an absolute mess in terms of the wall finish. The bathroom mirror had flaws in it and the paint job on the inside of the bathroom door was really beat up. The shower was somewhat dark and the shower head is pretty low- I am 6' and it was just to the point where I didn't have to bend down a bit. I basically had to shoot it straight forward so I could stand up straight. The handle for the shower faucet was installed reversed in our unit. Another strange thing- if you wanted cold water to drink you were out of luck. I let the faucet run and only got barely above room temp water. I can't figure out why that would be. As a final note, they have permanent shampoo & conditioner dispensers in the shower. Ours were both conditioner. We went to the front desk and got some separate small bottles of shampoo and were told that housekeeping would rectify the problem the next day. It did not happen. Not a big deal- just annoying.

There is no free breakfast but there is a full service restaurant. We did not use this.

I am not saying I would never stay here again but I would be hard pressed. If I stayed out of the downtown core I would definitely look elsewhere.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Kevin K,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us and bringing your concerns to our attention. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with our management team for review and follow up. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We gave up living in darkness for 2 days and went to a hotel. Thank goodness Best Western was open, had regained power and had 1 room left, so we got the last room available! After a very friendly and swift check in. We headed to our room and turned on the TV to see to our astonishment that there had been a tornado! No wonder we had had no power. We then wanted to get some hot food. We found friendly service at the dinning room as well. We had a late breakfast of very good scrambled eggs and a delicious mushroom omelet, hot coffee and tea. Both were HOT - first hot meal in 2 days. After returning to our well appointed room, my husband had a little nap while I attempted to take a bath but I could not get the plug to work, so we ended that we both had a HOT shower. Dinner was lovely, baked salmon with rice and liver and onions (when I am out I will order this). We had a nice bottle of Pelee Island Malbec to go with our dinner. Back in the room for more news and a good night' sleep. The bed was only a double and very short, so a good night's sleep was not that night. Thank goodness the power was restored to our area and we were able to return home.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunlovers-20

Dear sunlovers-20,

I am sorry to hear that your family was also affected when the tornado struck Ottawa but happy to hear that we were able to provide you with accommodation during this tragic time.Thankfully you were able to enjoy a hot meal during your stay even though was not able to get a good night sleep due to the size of the bed. I hope you will consider staying with us in the near future under better circumstances.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We arrived the day after a tornado had hit the region and the hotel only had power at the front desk. They were very good about reassigning us a room on the main floor so that my pregnant wife would not have to walk up the stairs (elevators out due to power blackout). They were also passing out flashlights to guests.

Luckily, we were not at the hotel half and hour before the power came on, so we avoided having to spend a night without electricity. Given all of the chaos that such an event causes, the front desk staff were coping surprisingly well.

Our room was fine, perhaps not the most up to date, but it matched what we were paying. The pool was closed, I assume due to the power situation.

My only complaint was the safe in the closet was temperamental. It usually needed the code entered three times before it would open.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Randy S

Dear Randy S,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent experience with us. The staff did a great job to look after our guests and get the rooms cleaned in the dark during the power outage. I am glad that they were able to provide your family with a room on the ground floor.I regret that the safe was not functioning properly.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

Rooms not very clean, the halls are very noisy through the night, plug broken in bathtub, Breakfast very expense for what you get. People in the hallways talking loud at 1 a.m. in the morning, then slamming doors in the hallway until at least 3 a.m.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
NiranA21, Manager at Best Western Plus Ottawa City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent experience with us. We regret that you were inconvenienced by people being noisy in the hall ways and banging doors in the middle of the night. Sadly, we do encounter individuals who care for no one but themselves and ignore our house rules that are in place to protect and ensure a quiet and relaxing stay for all our valued guests. We do the best we can to control these individuals but it seems that we failed on this occasion. I have forwarded your comments about the unclean room and broken plug to our housekeeping and maintenance managers for review and follow up.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.