“Who would have guessed?”

Ottawa Municipal Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Ottawa Municipal Campground
Ranked #13 of 27 Speciality Lodging in Ottawa
Reviewed 30 July 2012

On the final leg of a camping trip from Winnipeg to Quebec we were looking for camping in the Ottawa area and found the Ottawa Municipal Camp Ground on a quick net search...what a great discovery. Clean, private, easy on off to the highway and downtown...inexpensive. Having camped at a mix of Federal, Provincial, Municipal and private campgrounds over the past three weeks I can say with confidence, that for our needs, this camp ground was the best we stayed at this summer. Staff, young and old, were friendly and welcoming...Loved the fact that you could hop on your bike and connect easily onto the amazing Ottawa bike trail system...we shall be back!

Room Tip: Loblaws just 5k from the site. Pay 2 bucks more and get an electric site.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philcan420

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I had the misfortune to be a guest at this campsite whilst visiting my in-laws about two weeks ago. July 2012. We have just moved from Ireland to live in Ottawa. My in-laws were helping us with our big move. What should have been a nicer experience for all of us was marred greatly by the staff of this campsite. I am in total agreeance with the other reviews on-line. Whilst the campsite itself is awesome, beautiful grounds, facilities are good , nice private spaces... the staff - especially the manager gave the impression he didn't want to be bothered with having to deal with real people.
My mother-in -law had checked in advance before travelling that they wouldnt mind having guests, the lady at Ottawa Municipal Campsite that she spoke with assured her over the phone that this wouldn't be a problem. Not So ....... each time we as guests wanted to do a day or evening visit they wanted four dollars per car passenger. This certainly wasn't mentioned over the phone at the time of booking. Also my father-in-law when he first arrived , the staff on-duty that evening wanted to be paid upfront for all the nights in advance, when my in-laws were not sure whether they were staying for three of five nights at that time.

One evening myself and my husband called to collect our children who were with their grandparents and the guy in charge that evening tried to charge us two dollars each to visit. When I complained and asked to see the manager the charge suddenly increased to four dollars per passenger to visit. The manager blatantly kept repeating that it was company policy to charge the guests, and blustered his way through the whole conversation just repeating this . I said that we were a family and it wasn't like that we were staying overnight but just collecting our children....and that we weren't teenagers drinking and being noisy and upsetting other campers ( not that all teenagers are like this) but he just had no sense of customer service at all. We had no option but to pay the eight dollars to get in and collect our children. I definitely won't be recommending this, although beautiful campsite simply because of the staff. Owners take note!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank DeirdreHartman
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Being on a budget....i needed to find a campsite not too far from my home...what I found was the ottawa municiple campground. As usual when preparing for an outing with my familly...i consulted trip advisor and what a read about this place made me nervous. we decided to go anyways...because the main thing evryone was complaining about was the staff, well let me tell you the staff was very friendly when we needed them and left us alone to our camping when not needed.
The bathrooms were always clean...as were the grounds. I read one person complaining about the tents all being put into a field...my advice is to spring the extra 2 bucks a day for electricity (even if you dont need it) and you will have your own litte grove of trees to stay in.

Now for my complaints....the wood was rediculously expensive (7.50 a bag). Now as far as that is concerned I quickly discovered everyones half burnt wood is just inside the bush behind your firepit (saved 2 days worth of wood this way lol).

Second complaint....you can hear the freeway from EVERYWHERE on the grounds...you quickly get used to it though (in town I live on a major road so im used to the sound and didnt even notice it most of the time)

Overall I thought this was an amazing place to camp, would recomend it to anyone who wants to camp in our fair city, and im planing my next family camping trip back.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank David R
Reviewed 28 May 2012

If you have not yet visited the Ottawa Municipal Campground you have a wonderful treat in store! The facility itself is absolutely first class, akin to our better provincial partks. Facilities are modern and spotless. Security is first class, friendly and very helpful. Most importantly, the manager (Don) and his wife (Jackie) are true Hall of Famers. That is literally correcto f Don who played for the Montreal alouettes and is being inducted into the St. Mary's University Hall of Fame this year. But Jackie is a world class performer as well for all the regular campers at the OMC. A friendly welcome, excellent service and a superlative facility awaits us on every visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank William M
Reviewed 30 September 2011

It's strange... for the past 4 thanksgivings and May-24 weekends we have camped here with 2 friends of ours and had no problems. I called today to book and was told that we would need to purchase 2 campsites because we have 2 separate accommodations (they have a pop-up trailer and we use a tent). I tried to explain that we have done this before and it was never a problem, and was told that we must have gotten lucky before. The conversation deteriorated quickly from there...

We went to them because, despite not having the best amenities, they were convenient. They've lost 2 trips a year from us... going to find somewhere else to have fun with friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends