See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I'm a student at Durham College. I have been living in res for about a year now, and the only improvement I've seen is the new store downstairs(ridiculously over-priced!) and wifi (that keeps disconnecting every time!!! i cant do my homework and always have to go at the library!-very inconvenient!). AND another thing that really pisses me off, there's no water almost every week!!!! I swear i dont know how much i can stress this but reallyyy???? NO WATER for 8am-2pm??? (it's fine, if it happens ONCE A YEAR!!) I'm paying wayyy too much to get this kind of service! and our sink was leaking and our toilet broke 3 times.
PROS: The maintenance was quick(no weekend service tho), and the housekeepers are very nice.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TAG V
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Our corporate travel agent booked this lodging for us, mostly for the convenient location to Mosport race track. It is a bit closer than all the hotels along 401.

However, it is a college dorm, so you need to approach it with the right expectations. I found the rooms clean and fairly up-to-date. There is a small sitting area with kitchenette (microwave and fridge), 2 separate bedrooms, and bath.

The sitting area/kitchenette is roomy enough for 2 people to move around in. The chairs are as good as any you normally find in your hotel room. There is plenty of cabinet and shelf space, sink with hot & cold water, a hotel-size refrigerator, and microwave. Reasonable amount of cabinet space. I don't think it would be big enough if you were going to fix lots of meals, but for the standard shelf snacks and microwave food, it's fine. There is no table to eat from, so you either eat off your lap, or at your bedroom desk. There are no dishes, utensils, or implements, and I didn't see an offer to rent any. Not even paper towels. So remember that it's a totally bare kitchen in that sense. There is a old-fashioned-type TV (not flat panel).

The bathroom does not have much counter space. The shower is a small triangular unit in the corner (think cruise ship). The towels are pretty harsh - thin white and rough. There is no hair dryer or conditioner.

The bedroom has a bed not much bigger than a twin (not sure if it's double size), so it's generally too small for 2 people. Several husband/wife couples in our group slept separately. In many rooms, people complained about the small flat pillows. Mine had just the opposite - pillows very round and firm. I found the bed a bit hard. The desk is standard student size. There are outlets on the wall at each end. The closet is simply an alcove with pole. There is no TV, so if you like to watch TV in bed, you'll have to move the one from the sitting area in (and hope that your roommate doesn't have the same idea). There are no drapes - only vertical blinds on the window so it was hard to get the room completely dark.

On the plus side, having 2 separate rooms with doors was nice for those who were required to have roommates. The water was hot and adequate. The air conditioning is controlled by a thermostat in the sitting area, and it got plenty cold. The internet in the room was wired only, but it was screaming fast (as is probably necessary in a dorm full of college kids). No problem for watching movies or Skype video.

There is a cold breakfast offered, and you could pay for a hot upgrade. On some mornings the orange juice was not working and they were out of some types of milk. The muffins/bagels are ok, but the poppyseed had a strange taste. It's definitely a breakfast of convenience.

There is no workout facility that I know of. Lots of room to go running around campus if that's your thing. Four elevators mean that you don't wait long. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby area was large and had plenty of seating for hanging out or waiting on someone. Depending on what's going on when you are there, you may have to endure teams of kids staying there for sports tournaments who run up and down the hall.

No restaurant on site, but some delivery options typical of college (pizza, wings, Chinese food). There is a Subway and a drug store across the street, and plenty of good options in Oshawa.

Overall, a pretty good value for $90 CAD. But remember that it is a college dorm.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank lyndapolk
Reviewed 29 May 2011

and it sure looks like one. Shabby and not particularly clean. Many of the rooms have a bad odor. This is a residence and not a hotel. Our daughter's soccer team stayed at this "residence" for a tournament and the only plus was the girls could play in the hallways.

The two bedroom rooms have small beds - a tight squeeze for two people per bed. The pillows are ancient, flat & hard. A number of families bought pillows for the second night after not sleeping the first. The rooms do not have hairdryers or come with conditioner so remember to bring your own. The towels are super thin. Wireless Internet is only available in the lobby - if you want a wired connection in your room you must bring your own cable. The breakfast is the worst ever, some old looking cereal & muffins. If you want to pay $3.00 extra you can get one egg and two slices of bacon. They were running out of most of the food when we stayed.

All this for $80/night. Next time I would stay elsewhere.

Date of stay: May 2011
1  Thank M R
Reviewed 11 January 2009

There are no hotels in Northern Oshawa...all are along the 401. We were invited to a 50th birthday party for a close friend and wanted somewhere to stay close by. (When we visit we usually stay with our friends but their home was already full with visiting family members.) Durham College Residence was perfect for our needs and exceeded our expectations. The room was very large with two double beds, television, bar fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was spotless! If you are looking for a fancy four star hotel go elsewhere but if you want a clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, roomy place to stay look no further.

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Wanderlust666
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Upon arriving at the residence, we find out that the two bedroom suite that I had booked over the phone was not available, due to high volume. Which in most circumstances would have been fine, however my youngest child is special needs and an extremely light sleeper, so for the two nights we were there, we didn't get much sleep. It basically all went downhill from there...the room had the funkiest smell ever; a mix of dirty gym socks and old cheese. Putting on the fan in the room did not seem to help much. We went to turn on the TV, and the batteries in the remote were dead. When I called dowstairs, the clerk said that they probably wouldn't be able to bring up new batteries "until tomorrow"!! When I went to use the microwave, I was welcomed with a grimy, tomato-pasted interior...gross. The bedding on the beds were very strange; no fitted sheets on the mattresses, just regular sheets tucked under. When my three-year old got bored, I decided to venture down the hallway to the lounge. Upon entering, there were chip crumbs and food all over the floor and the furniture was in disarray (almost like there had been a big college party, but it hadn't been cleaned up). So after enjoying our night in our stinky room without any sleep, and manually getting up to change the channel, we at least had breakfast to look forward to...or so we thought. Breakfast was blah...consisting of just bagels, muffins and dry cereal. There were no waffles as another reviewer has mentioned. All in all, I would not recommend Durham College Residence as a place to stay. But, perhaps the other college residences have their act together. If I had to stay in Oshawa again, I would definitely just shell out the extra cash for the comfort and cleanliness of a hotel.

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)