“Babymoon...with a couple glitches...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview

Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview
Ranked #32 of 130 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Mississauga
“Babymoon...with a couple glitches...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We went for our “Babymoon” as I am 8 months pregnant. When my husband booked over the phone, he did notify staff of this and the staff said “Okay, we won’t put you on the upper floors then, so you won’t have to switch elevators.”

We arrived at the hotel with no problems. Signage is very straight forward and easy to follow. The check in staff was great and helpful. She told us we can get parking for $19 instead of $22 because we were staying with them.
She advised us we were "upgraded" to the twelfth floor with "floor to ceiling windows". We were told that in order to get to our floor, we have to take the main elevators to the ninth floor, and then transfer to another elevator to the twelfth floor. (Already this is not what we has asked for…) We took the elevator to the ninth floor, got off, turned the corner and walked the other elevator. We stood and just looked at the doors. It made me nervous. I didn’t even want to push the button fearing I would break something. It’s obviously one of the original elevators for the hotel so it adds to the historic nature of the hotel but…just don’t be surprised like I was when I saw it.
We said a prayer, got on, and took it up to our floor. It bumped and shifted as it made it way to our floor. I held my breath and stared wide eyed at my husband.

Our “upgraded” room was small and crowded and the “floor to ceiling windows” was nothing but a sliding glass door. The window did not close properly so there was a little draft. We were going to just suck it up but, we figured we shouldn’t have to. We were paying enough that we should get a closed and locked window. So, we went back to the front desk and asked for another room. This time we were on the eleventh floor and we had a balcony over looking the falls. To me, THIS was an “upgraded room”. It was bigger, had a king size bed and the balcony was great. The room has no air conditioning unit, just a heater. We turned it off pretty much and the room still stayed warm. The bathroom is very pretty with a pedestal sink and all marble flooring. Very clean too.

After visiting the casino, we got on the main elevator and took it to the ninth floor (as we had a few times now) as we turned the corner to head to the transfer elevator, there were two men at the elevator with walkie talkies and they were asking if anyone was still on. As we approached, we asked if something was wrong. No one answered us…we then asked where the stairs were. We walked up two flights of stairs (again, 8 months pregnant) to our eleventh floor. My husband was upset. He had let the fact that they were to put us on a lower floor go, but then this happened and it didn’t make him happy. He went to the front desk and complained. They gave us $50 off our stay…which was nice of them. The elevator issue was eventually fixed, I am not sure how long it took as the “out of order” signs were still posted but the elevator was working again :-S

Enough of that though, on to food. We ate all our meals at the in hotel restaurant. We paid the couples package price which included the $27.50 breakfast voucher both mornings. I first morning we ordered off the menu and our meals cost $10 more then the voucher covered (including tip) the food was really good though. Generous servings and tasty. The next morning I got the buffet and my husband ordered from the menu again. My food was worse then his. The point here, the food on the menu tastes better then the buffet food. Maybe because they have to cook so much of it, it lacks flavor? We had a $50 voucher for dinner…food was…meh. The presentation is there but the meals are ridiculously overpriced. $44 for lamb….what?!? The lambs must come from farms made of solid gold and were hand fed everyday of their lives. (note: sarcasm) They brought out a little loaf of bread that you had to eat fast, otherwise it went hard from being reheated. Sooo…to sum it up. If you want convenience and want to eat a stones throw from you room…then eat here. The dinner, I would skip all together. I would 100% go to another hotel or another restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was good though, I will give them that (just not the buffet so much). The dinner was soooo over priced and it really wasn’t that wonderful.

Pool, we didn’t end up hitting the pool or waterpark. We went on family day weekend so, we figured it would me mayham. We went to the Casino Niagara though, it was great. As great as losing money can be... It’s okay though, we had fun. We hit the Yuk Yuks show and that was awesome.

All in all I gave this hotel an average rating…we’ve stayed at Double Tree and The Sheraton Fallsview before and I don’t think we’ll come back to Crowne Plaza. It’s a “been there, done that” sort of hotel. Its very pretty, very historic, family friendly…but it just wasn’t what we expected for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for the 9th floor and below if you don't want to depend on a old elevator. 10th to 12th fl...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My first impression of this hotel was classic. It really gives you the old school glam feel with its big chandeliers and decor. The front desk ladies were amazing! They were informative and helpful. The rooms were hit or miss. We got two rooms. Both were 2 beds. One room was very small and cramped. The other was very spacious with a pull out couch. As we paid the same price for both rooms, I did not feel it was fair that one room was almost the size of a suite and the other half its size. The bathrooms were okay. The toilets looked like public toilet with the metal handle you would normally use your foot to flush if you were in the mall which really threw the bathroom off. The sink and vanity really went with the old classic theme the rest of the hotel had going. The beds were comfortable but may not accommodate everyone. The pillows were very soft so if you need a strong pillow I would suggest bringing your own.

The location of this hotel is prime! You are right across the street from the falls. You are at the bottom of Clifton Hills which is pretty much walking distance from anything fun and exciting in Niagara Falls.

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night in February. There was a university dance competition happening in the area so there were a lot of college students staying at the hotel as well. While I can understand why the hotel felt that they needed to up security a bit, I found they went way beyond what was necessary. There was 1-2 security guards stationed on each floor and they were not pleasant in any sense. I felt like I was being monitored 24/7! I was worried that they would interrogate us so we opted to use the stairs every time we came in or out and we were on the 6th floor! I did not appreciate feeling like there were people watching me constantly. They even went room to room and did spot checks. I could understand again if we were making excessive noise or disturbing others around us but we were not university students and we were not affiliated with the competition, yet we still got spot checked!

The next morning, they provided us with express check out which was a plus but we parked in the parking structure attached to the hotel. I would suggest that if you are going to park there, go to the casino and use your players card (which you can get free at the info desk inside the casino) because you will automatically qualify for free parking. Also, try parking on the lower levels. It took us 20 minutes to get to the 5th floor using the elevators because everyone's leaving at the same time. If you are on a lower level you can just take the stairs.

All in all, it was clean and a good value but the excessive security ruined my experience. You go away to Niagara for a weekend to relax and have fun. The excessive security took away from the "relaxing" aspect of my trip.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with 2 beds and a couch. It's the same price as the 2 beds without the couch b...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had two rooms. The double bed room with a decent view but the window was relatively small. Room was cramped. We also received a suite for a decent price. It was huge and the kids have never stopped talking about it. Two bedrooms and a large living space. View was not so good. The staff was very accomodating and on site restaurant had a great view of the falls etc. Hotel is dated which is expected but the common areas are beautiful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Picton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My other half and I stayed at the Crowne from the 9th until the 12th of this month, to celebrate my birthday/Valentine's day. I was the one researching hotels in the Falls, and after much research finally decided on the Crowne from great reviews, price, history, and look! Upon entering the Crowne we were blown away by the beauty of the double-stairs and gorgeous chandelier leading up to the lobby. We were upgraded to an executive suite from our original booked "King Size Fallsview", personally I don't believe it is much different, but we had to take a private elevator to get to the 11th floor were we would be staying. The private elevator is quite old and it a bit scary, since it took us repeatedly up to the 12th floor when we were trying to get to the 9th, that was the only bad part really. Great location, cheaper than the Sheraton, so much history (Marilyn Monroe stayed on the 8th floor while filming "Niagara"). We enjoyed the fact that you can pretty much go anywhere through the indoor walkway to the old Casino, Hard Rock, Rainforest Cafe, and the Sheraton etc. We also visited the Rainbow Room which we both enjoyed very much! Staff is very friendly as well! Minus a rude fellow guest we encountered while we were checking out, our stay was quite lovely!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a fallsview!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
oshawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Location is A+. All staff I have encounter at my stays here are fantistic. They will often give complimentary room upgrade, just ask. The last time I was there they gave us an unexpected complimentary bottle of wine and upgraded us to a suite. I do not recommend an interior room. (room had a pool view as a window).

Room Tip: Parking is the same as the casino parking. At check in let them know you have a players card. If yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple