“Do Not Order Custom Cupcakes”
Review of Swirls

Swirls
Ranked #13 of 19 Bakeries in Mississauga
Price range: US$2 - US$23
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Swirls is a NUT-FREE bakery that offers gourmet CUPCAKES, CAKES and other sweet treats at both store locations (Mississauga and Etobicoke). We also specialize in custom cupcakes and cakes -- including shaped/character cakes. Contact us for your events, corporate functions and special events. We offer catering of freshly baked goods, set-up and delivery.
Reviewed 28 April 2017

I placed an order with Swirls (Etobicoke location) for three dozen custom cupcakes. I had to pick them up on a Thursday after work and unfortunately this location closes at 6pm. We had been emailing back and forth about my order when I mentioned I would be late picking them up (no later than 6:30). They responded saying no problem they would make sure the Etobicoke location was aware and to get there when I can. Well Thursday rolls around, I rush from work and get there at 6:04 pm to find the doors locked, lights off and nobody in sight. Keep in mind the location closes at 6pm and I arrived FOUR minutes after they closed and yet it looked like the place had been closed for hours. I then tried calling, no response. I emailed while I was still in the parking lot letting them know how unimpressed I was as I now had no cupcakes for my event which was the following day (Friday). They quickly responded to my email asking if I was still there because they would come down. I then waited by the front door... still nobody in sight. Finally I receive another EMAIL (keep in mind they had my number and could have easily called me as this would have been good customer service) telling me to go to the side door. I did not get any sort of apology, instead they fed me excuses "Oh there was a glitch in the system and it showed that you were picking them up Friday so they aren't ready".. While another person tells me "Give me two minutes they're almost ready". I was VERY upset as whatever glitch in the system that apparently occurred should not have affected my pick up time as I was emailing back and forth with this company regarding the time I would be picking them up (THURSDAY NOT FRIDAY). I waited and waited outside in the rain for the cupcakes and finally once they brought them out... to my surprise they were all MINI cupcakes. On the website when I placed my order, I ordered three dozen custom CUPCAKES. Nowhere did it indicate these are mini and the image attached to the custom cupcakes shows full sized cupcakes, not mini. I am extremely upset with not only the service I received (or lack there of) but I now also feel ripped off as it was NEVER communicated to me that what was being prepared for me were mini cupcakes. I still haven't received any apology of any sort or even a response to my last email to them. I will never give my business to Swirls Cupcakes again and I would recommend going to one of the many other cupcake shops for your purchases so that you can maybe receive some REAL customer service and feel valued as a customer.

2  Thank Erica M
Swirlscupcakes, Owner at Swirls, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Hi Erica,

We apologize for you disappointment with our service. We were aware that you would be coming to the shop at 6. The staff out of habit locked the front door but were inside the shop cleaning up. Your email stated that you may be a bit late on Thursday (6:30 was not noted in the email) but if you were going to be late someone may be able to pick up on Friday afternoon. This detail was also noted to the staff in case you were even later. Sorry for the confusion on the day of pick up. We did respond right away and someone went to the front within a couple of minutes of receiving the email from you for your pick-up.

When ordering the edible images on the website it does indicate that for 12 edible toppers the cost is $15.00 and that this price does not include the cost of the cupcakes (needs to be ordered separately). The regular cupcakes are $30 per dozen. 36 regular cupcakes with edible logos on top would cost $135. There may have been an issue with the system entry of your order because the total of your order did not reflect this amount. We have given the feedback to our webmaster to see if they can look into any kind of glitch.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we apologize for the issues you experienced.

Katherine.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Okay cupcakes, average prices, but it's never been a tidy looking place. The staff is super lovely and friendly.

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

I've been coming to swirls for years, we have purchased numerous times from them for all kinds of occasions, even met Chuck the owner a couple times. Today we went in today to pickup a dozen cupcakes and was greeted by a woman named Katie. When we asked what each cupcake flavour was she rudely answered back "all the names are in the front of the glass" as if we can't see. I was shocked with the attitude, it was obvious that she was busy in the back and we must of interrupted her work. Chuck the owner is a great guy, and I've always had great service coming there. Long story short if coming into swirls deal with someone other then Katie.

2  Thank Nikita G
Swirlscupcakes, Owner at Swirls, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

Hi Nikita,
We apologize for your disappointing experience. We will share your feedback with the team to improve the customer service experience for all our clients. Please feel free to connect with us directly anytime if you ever have any other feedback. We appreciate feedback and your continued patronage.
All the best,
Chuck

Reviewed 24 January 2017 via mobile

We recently ordered a cake for a birthday party since we had guests with severe nut allergy. Wow! We got three fluffy, luscious layers of chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling. It was pure deliciousness. Obviously made with great care using top quality ingredients. It was a little more than you would pay at places that don't guarantee nut free cakes, but certainly worth it. This is how cake should taste. Pleasant surprise! This will be our go to place for great cakes from now on. Thank you Swirls.

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and for choosing us to be a part of your birthday celebration. We are so happy you enjoyed the cake and love that you appreciate the quality ingredients we use. Please contact us anytime if you ever need anything else. All the best, Chuck.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

I messaged Chuck two days before my wife's baby shower - our first baby - telling him that I needed a cake to feed 30-35, with a certain design and the person who was helping me earlier is MIA now.

Chuck matched the design, prepared a delicious cake that everybody loved (red velvet) and I can't thank these guys enough for it. Their price was great too - someone for the same cake quoted $425 when Swirls did it for $115. I will definitely be coming back to Swirls for any and all my future orders. Many can deliver the taste but its good people who help out that really gain customers!

Thanks Chuck!