All reviews wortley village old mansion wine cellar rack of lamb cottage cheese modern bathroom romantic getaway historic building next morning continental breakfast close to downtown fresh fruit stayed one night london ontario norman alfie woodwork
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Could the property equal the fabulous reviews?

Yes! And it exceeded our great expectations.

The location is close enough to make getting to London easy, but it’s in a deliciously quiet setting.

The hotel is just as beautiful as the photos suggest. The staff is so friendly - to everyone - we absolutely LOVE being here!
(I am typing from the gorgeous breakfast room where 2 of the kindest and most welcoming people blessed us - Brittany and Kyra).

London is a quick getaway from Detroit (we are here to see a play and relax together), and if you are looking for “the place” to unwind - come to Idlewyld!

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Michael W, Front Office Manager at Idlewyld Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

Thank you for reviewing the Idlewyld Inn and Spa. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the location and overall staff service received. I will make sure to pass your kind words onto Brittany and Kyra.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Great experience with my wife and children of 12 and 15yrs of age. Spent one night in a beautifully furnished 3rd floor bedroom and enjoyed and delicious late reservation dinner. My wife and daughter enjoyed the spa while my son and I played cards in the elegant drawing room. The staff was fantastic and treated us like royalty.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review the Idlewyld Inn and Spa. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the experience with your family due to the guest room, dining reservation and service received throughout your time with us.

We hope to welcome you again in the future and thank you once again for your kind words.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Just returned from a two-night stay during Family Day weekend at Idlewyld Inn with friends. This grand Victoria charmer is situated in a residential area nestled in the older section of London ON. Entering through a tall wooden door into a reception room filled with dark wood, high baseboards, brilliantly lit chandelier, and stained glass panels set the warm welcoming tone of our stay. From check-in and throughout our stay the staff treated us like honoured guests.

Rooms:

We booked the Library Suite located on the ground floor and two king rooms on the top floor. The Library Suite was full of dark wood with comfy furniture in the sitting room, updated bathroom, and king bed with high headboard. Perfect spot for returning after dinner for card games. The two king rooms on the third floor were spacious with modern bathrooms. The soft grey walls and white trim guaranteed relaxation. The updated bathroom had white marble tile, hair dryer, plenty of white towels, and the huge walk-in shower was well appointed with shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. The closet in the main room held plenty of hangers, additional pillows, and two comfy white robes waiting to be snuggled in. The firmness of mattress and lofty pillows made for a perfect sleep. The only complaint I had was the blackout drapes didn’t block the outdoor lighting from the upper dormer edge. Light shone in from above the drape rod and also from the side corners. My one traveling companion had a corner room and the light shone into the room from the parking lot fixture. I notified the inn that this is a bit of an issue if a guest is expecting a dark room for a restful sleep.

Meals:

If you are a Foodie at heart, the dining at Idlewyld Inn is for you. As you enter the dining room you will be met with white linen table cloths and gleaming cutlery placed over cloth napkins. Art masterpieces on the walls in the dining room and fireplace reception are for sale and offer unique painting styles. You can start your day with the complimentary breakfast of fresh fruit, yoghurt, cottage cheese, muesli, fresh pastry items, toast on order, scrambled eggs, bacon, home fries, and a variety of juices. Dinner the first night was: Seafood paella (minus the octopus) as a main, although offered as an appetizer; pan seared halibut; and prosciutto wrapped chicken roulade stuffed with applewood smoked cheddar. The seafood paella of my dining companion was beautifully presented with scallops, prawns, mussels, charred lemon, and rice mixed with cheese. She enjoyed it so much, that she ordered it the second night of our stay, although this time the scallops were undercooked and the rice sticky. My other dining companion found the pan seared halibut perched on top of beet risotto and roasted baby golden beets. She raved over the dish. My chicken was so flavourful with two large chicken roulades and a variety of root vegetables, and purple potatoes. All dishes came hot from the kitchen.

The next day at lunch we ordered: the soup of the day – beef vegetable a hearty offering; beet salad with the addition of chicken; and the home ground burger with fries. If you have read any of my other TripAdvisor reviews, you know I am very critical of restaurant fries. Well, the inn’s fresh cut fries sprinkled with salt (I’m thinking possibly sea salt or course salt) were addictive with the right amount of crispy coating and soft centre, perfectly cooked, and piping hot.

Our last evening meal had a few missteps but overall another enjoyable meal of: Seafood paella (see comment about the scallops and rice); Ontario rack of lamb; and cast iron seared filet of beef. The Ontario rack of lamb was served over polenta, olives, and fried capers. My dining companion cleaned her plate and raved the meat cooked to her liking. My filet of beef was a thick cut, cooked to medium-well perfection, and the sear and seasoning on the steak sublime. It came with cubed purple potatoes, honey glazed carrots, blistered tomatoes, and some roasted root vegetables. The crab topping wasn’t that good as it had a pungent fish taste. Portion sizes for all meals during our stay were very plentiful and the quality of the food and presentation outstanding.

Kitchen staff and wait staff were very obliging and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed all our meals. No request was too small, from asking for a scone to be taken to our room or asking for no garlic or onions on my entrees. We made sure to let them know how much their efforts meant to us.

Spa:

For our second day at the inn, we had pre-booked a few treatments: reflexology, RMT massage, pedicure, and manicure. The spa is very small and there is a main room with reception, two pedicure stations, two manicure stations, and two treatment rooms. There is no waiting room with chairs. Because everything is in the same general area if you are in the treatment rooms, you will hear conversations in the outer room. The reflexology with Teresa was very much enjoyed. Andrea did the RMT massage and it was quite relaxing with just the right amount of pressure. There was a bit of a scheduling problem later in the day so one of the appointments got bumped out an hour.

Staff:

Everyone we encountered during the booking process and our stay was friendly and welcoming. They went out of their way to make our stay memorable. The first night I asked for an extra blanket from the reception desk, and she almost beat me to my room the service was that quick. If we encountered any staff in the hallway they always greeted us with a smile.

Internet service:

Was complimentary and offered quick speed.

Would I return:

Yes. Idlewyld Inn is a perfect destination for quiet and relaxation. I wouldn’t mind staying one night at their sister inn (Elm Hurst in Ingersol) which I have been to several times now, and then one night at the Idlewyld. To me, that would be an ideal mini vacation.

Room tip: Library Suite and rooms on the third top floor
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Michael W, Front Office Manager at Idlewyld Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hello Janice,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We truly appreciate all the kind words.

It seems as though you were able to enjoy all aspects of the Idlewyld from the guest rooms to the dining and spa experience.

The team hopes to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2018

We stayed for one night as we were in London to spend a gift certificate to the Keg, which was minutes away from Idelwyde. This Victorian beauty is a feast for the eyes. The staff are very professional, welcoming and pleasant. Our room was cozy with wonderful natural light from three big windows, a modern bathroom and very comfortable bed and pillows. The continental breakfast featured scrambled eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, a variety of homemade sweets and breads. Very yummy! We enjoyed it so much that we decided to return again in a couple of weeks, so we can enjoy a dinner meal as well as the spa services. What a great place for a relaxing get-away!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing the Idlewyld Inn and Spa.

We are so excited to hear you enjoyed the stay due to the overall ambiance, staff service, guest room and breakfast in the morning.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another relaxing getaway!

Reviewed 14 February 2018

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our most relaxing stay at the Idlewyld Inn. From the moment you walk through the door, all your staff are most gracious and sincerely welcoming.

The Idlewyld establishment is so beautiful and and historically stately, yet not pretentious. Your rooms are lovely and appointed of all modern amenities. Their is peaceful ambiance throughout!

We enjoyed our morning breakfasts and found the continental buffet to be robust, fresh and delicious! Staff were attentive and friendly.

The meal we enjoyed with your Gourmet Package was amazing!! Beautifully presented and delicious with large portions. Every bite was mouth watering. Catherine attended us that evening. Although all staff were great, she stands out in our experience. We were full from our dinner and she suggested we order our decadent desserts and she would bring it to us a little later in our room when more comfortable to enjoy them.

Our room was lovely and quiet. We enjoyed great sleep in a comfortable bed.

We had a wonderful overall experience and departed feeling both relaxed and rejuvenated! It was not our first visit, nor will it be our last. We have already highly recommended it to family and friends.

Room tip: ALL rooms are lovely!!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen S

Hello Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your kinds words. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the staff service, modern amenities, dining experience and the overall Gourmet Package.

We hope to welcome you again soon!