“fresh, authentic, very clean”

Ben Thanh - Hamilton Downtown
Ranked #165 of 1,494 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 26 November 2016

My wife and I happened to be in the area and decided we wanted Thai food. We googled and found this restaurant close by so we had dinner. The restaurant was fairly busy but not overcrowded, which was nice. We had prompt service, and our server was helpful with choice selection. The restaurant has a huge, very impressive menu to choose from, and lots of colored photos of food to help those unfamiliar with the cuisine. We decided for a mix of Thai and Vietnamese dishes, and they were all fantastic. Vietnamese spring rolls, Green beef curry with rice side, papaya salad, mango salad, meatlovers vermicelli platter, and jasmine green tea. It was all great, and we look forward to our next visit.

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Been coming to this location occasionally for over 15 years.Nice and modern decor after renovation but food not at the same quality as used to be few years ago. Very few Asian customers inside and mostly westerners when few years was the opposite.That alone tells me about food IQ. My small portion of Singapore noodle was tasteless with few pieces of chicken here and there. Two layers of noodles with the bottom one that looks and tastes like was cooked earlier for a different dish and mixed with the newer. Warmer outside, colder inside. Supposedly spicy but I could not taste it at all. I was told that this dish is one of house specialties, really?

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 1 November 2016

I have been to many of the Ben Thanh locations and most are similar. The downtown Hamilton location has a similar menu as compared to other but on the other hand the service isn't as good. We stopped in here for lunch being in Hamilton for the day and attending a concert at the First Ontario Centre and we were a little surprised at the substandard service. Still the food was good, we ordered the rice paper roll appetizers and some vermicelli bowls and everything was as expected. I hope that this was an isolated incident cause I really like the food at Ben Thanh.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 23 September 2016 via mobile

Very nice, clean and modern environment. Friendly customer service and good food. I come once a month.

Date of visit: September 2016
2  Thank Jake J
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

Have dined here a few times. Usually when we can't unanimously decide on a restaurant!

Friendly staff seem to be the same people working before the renovations, now a different name.

Atmosphere is clean and modern. Free parking at rear for about 8+ cars.

Their let down was the food.
Papaya salad-too much fish sauce
Chunks of steak -overcooked.
PadThai-tasted a lot like the well-known squeezy bottle tomato sauce
Lamb skewers dipping sauce was fridge cold

Would score the food a 2.

Date of visit: August 2016