“I should have reviewed earlier, Great community restaurant”

Nam Thanh Restaurant
Ranked #453 of 1,276 Restaurants in Hamilton
Reviewed 13 December 2015

I am somewhat abashed realizing when we travel I review restaurants we visit but somehow I overlooked a nice place to eat close to home.

This is a small family run Vietnamese/Thai restaurant with no pretensions, just consistently good reasonably priced flavourful food. Given that there are limited staff, where everyone is working hard doing many things, its not a fast paced sit eat go place.

We seem to eat or have take out from here about once a month. The Pho soup is very good,( I like the Seafood in particular). Shrimp, mussels, crab lite, The Pho portions are huge and while I am a big eater at times, I have gotten to the point that one medium is really more than enough.

My wife loves the chicken mango noodles and the thai wraps. We have also hooked our friends on this local gem, as it is good place to drop in for a nice lunch while out shopping.

We're fortunate having this spot close to home, a consistently good spot for a casual dinner with friends or for take out.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

This is our favorite local restaurant. Whenever we get a craving for Vietnamese Pho or Thai cuisine, this is always a great choice. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The wait staff are very laid back, service can be a little slow at times, but they are friendly. We've had them bring the wrong dish by mistake before, and they made the right one and gave us the wrong one for free. The Pho is delicious. Also the other soups such as Beef Satay are creamy and rich and filling. Prices are very reasonable, most dishes are under $10 with many more still under $15. The spring rolls are really good, they have a few varieties and they are always fresh and delicious. We have tried multiple dishes and have never found one we dislike. If you're passing through town and have the time to relax a little, great little place to pop into.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Loved the beef noodle dishes and the spring rolls were good too. Husband had he Pad Thai and said it was delicious.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

If you pass by Waterdown or north Burlington close to Hwy 5 or 6, give it a try. For under $10, I got a big plate of chicken fried rice with pineapple, a popular Asian dish. The dish comes with a basil/cilantro tropical kind of scent and flavour. The portion is about 1.5 meal for a big eater like me. The meal comes with complimentary jasmine tea served in a dainty pot.

The service is fast, albeit not much smile, typical of Asian culture (I know (^_<)
Decor and seating is comfortable and not worn.

Background music is sometimes Asian pop, sometimes classical instrumental. Music is often part of the branding for a franchise restaurant. But being a typical Asian restaurant, there is no emphasis on that. The focus is practical: good food, low price and fast service. I find it amusing.

The restaurant is very clean, as per the photo. I was pleasantly surprised, again, because most Asian restaurants are not well maintained.

I enjoy the meal as it was filling but not greasy. I will certainly stop by again.

1  Thank ThYeung
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I've been at the hospital most of the last two weeks with an ill family member. I scooted out earlier tonight so I could drop in for some pad Thai. When I entered at 8:50, I was scolded that they were closed. I replied that the ad said 9:00. The woman was very curt and said no, 8:30. I repeated that the ad said 9:00. She said no, we take the last order at 8:30. I suggested, then, that the ad should say so. She was not even apologetic. It was the first, and last, visit to the restaurant.