“Great Coffee Shop, Amazing Baked Goods, Delicious vegan menu!”
Review of Democracy

Democracy
Ranked #67 of 1,490 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe
Description: Hamilton's top spot for vegan eats & treats offering a large variety of gluten-free options, baked goods and menu items from scratch. Counter service during the day, table service from 5pm on. Full menu beginning everyday at 11am. Try the Cauliflower Wings!
Reviewed 6 June 2016

This is our go to coffee shop with fair trade coffee and lots of organic or vegan ingredients. This is a very casual, busy coffee house atmosphere. All the baked goods are outstanding. The cupcakes, brownies and every single thing they have that I have tried over the years has been fresh and delicious. Probably the dark chocolate cupcakes with coffee icing and the carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are my favourites. They have fair trade, organic coffee and now a vegan menu with wine, beer and table service in the evening. One of our favourite treats is the cauliflower wings. I think I like them more than real chicken wings and I'm not even vegan. The other great standby item they have is the vegan chilli which is hearty and cumin-y and served with corn chips. The staff are always friendly and welcoming, and most of all, it has the best name there is.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

This place gives me and my wife a place to try different veggie dishes each time we come. We usually get a coffee and a goodie but we have also had the pizzas and sandwiches; all were very good. Glad to see more and more restaurants that focus on veggie/vegan menus and combine it with responsibly grown coffee and local beer.

Reviewed 7 May 2016 via mobile

The idea that coolness and being vegan are mutually exclusive has always bothered me. That being a vegan means having to consume only wheat grass and listen to folk music. Places like Democracy put a whole new spin on cool vegan eats, they offer an innovative vegan menu with both meat substitute (tempeh , seitan, etc ) and non meat substitute based options ( cauliflower wings ). The approach to their food is simple and delicious , focused on key core menu items that now likely have a cult following.
Everything is done here with a wit and a sense of humour down to the garage door entry and the chalkboard walls. Very cool place, worth going and definitely have the cauliflower wings.

1  Thank AllkindsofFoodie
Reviewed 7 May 2016

Go here if:

You or your date are vegan.
You are in denial that vegan food can still be really good.
You want a good cup of coffee in a casual environment.
You want a pint with a date or friends in a casual environment.

1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

I came here with friends, one whom is a vegan. The atmosphere was eclectic and we enjoyed it. I had the cauliflower wings with an order of fries on the side. They were amazing!!! I had it with the sirahcha lime sauce. My vegan friend had the fried tofu sandwich, which she enjoyed until she tried one of the cauliflower wings. Then she said it seemed to be missing something, but she couldn't figure out if it was the sauce or the texture of the cauliflower that would of improved it. My sister who has had limited experience with vegan food tried the pierogi pizza. She didn't like it. It was the vegan cheese that side didn't care for. I am the same way and always make sure to choose something without vegan cheese. She loved the cauliflower wings. So if you head here, definitely go with the cauliflower wings! We heard that they make excellent hello dollies and I believe they do as they were sold out at 3pm when we arrived!