All reviews dundurn castle stay there again royal botanical gardens onsite restaurant bed and pillows nice room close to downtown light sleeper lots of parking easy access convenient location rates desk microwave linda bathtub
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We were in Hamilton for a lacrosse game at FirstOntario Centre. We booked the Admiral Inn because it was the only hotel that still had rooms available, close to downtown, for under $200. The hotel is very basic with few amenities, but we were there for less than 24 hours and only needed a clean bed to sleep in. The room was nice and very clean. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

My only complaint is that the carpet in the room was disgusting. It was old, dirty, and wrinked in places. I didn't want to take my socks off. The rest of the room looked like it might have been renovated in the last few years, but the carpet took away from all that and made the otherwise nice room look dumpy. The hotel would do well to replace all the carpet. It would improve the rooms 100-fold.

Also, the air conditioner in the room was very loud. I don't know if this was just a problem with our room, or if they are loud in all the rooms. I sleep with earplugs so it wasn't a big problem for me, but if you don't normally sleep with earplugs, I would recommend doing so if you're staying here in warm weather.

Otherwise, this a decent place to stay and I would consider staying here again if I'm ever back in Hamilton overnight.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Admiral_Manager, General Manager at Admiral Inn Hamilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Dear Valued Guest;

On behalf of the entire team at the Admiral Inn Hamilton we would like to thank you for your positive comments about our establishment. We are currently replacing the carpet in the remaining rooms with older carpet. This will be done by the spring.

Thank you kindly for sharing.

We look forward to your next return with us.

The Staff & Management
Admiral Inn Hamilton

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

This place has the worst staff ever the front desk is useless doesn't know anything about the hotel rooms have a horrible smell not clean not enough towels the don't replace them daily I was there for 8 days bedding not changed even the restaurant the staff is rude if you ask for something it's a problem to get it I would never recommend it

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Amanda19682005

Dear Valued Guest;

The Admiral Inn Hamilton would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you had experienced. Your feedback is very important to us because it helps us to know what the issues are and have to correct them. Our number one goal is to provide the positive experiences to all of our guests. Keep in mind that we replace bedding and towels on a daily basis unless requested by the guest or if a do not disturb is left on the door.

The Staff & Management
Admiral Inn Hamilton

Reviewed 24 September 2017

2nd star is for service desk employees polite service, otherwise I would give in theis review just 1 star only
We could not book our regular hotel for the weekend due to the Invictus games. Admiral Inn was the only hotel in the area with just 1 last vacant room. Initial impression was not bad, since the checking in was pretty quick.Unfortunately the room (112) smelled a bit like an ashtray. There is a note in the room that additial charge will be applied for smoking in the room, Maybe hotel charges those fees the disobedient guests, but definitely does nothing to eliminate odor in the hotel rooms.
We did not have time to look around, just took quick shower and left. The horror starred in the late evening when we came back to the hotel. Bed sheet look soiled and had red/pink spot right in the center. When I approached the service desk I learned that room service can't assist us until the following morning. Since no other rooms in the hotel were available, we had to accept the only reasonable solution - bed sheet were replaced with a clean one.
Quality of TV display was rather appalling. I checked only few channels and all of them were really grainy. Definitely content provided by Cogeco cable, but it resembled rather poor antenna signal reception.
Ice buildup around the refrigerator freezer, suggest someone should have defrost it a while ago
Room was rather warm after 30+C day. We started the A/C fan just to find out that the ratting noise is very distracting, preventing us from falling asleep. But the rattling fan was not as big of a problem as the noise from the room next door. Initially we expected that those people will keep their voices down or will eventually go to bed - we were wrong. Finally at 4 am I contacted the service desk and ask hotel employee for assistance. I can't say people were extremely loud, but walls did not block any sound, acted more like a paravan or a curtain then a wall between independent "apartments".
After restless night I noticed I quite a few other issues, such as peeling paint above the bath tab, mold on the shower curtain and black (possibly moldy spots on the bathtub caulking).
Rattling fan noise was not noticeable the following evening.

Concluding $350 for 2 nights we considered a big rip-off for less than acceptable conditions this hotel offered.
We have not used the restaurant, nut I noticed that its menu is not published on the hotel website, hence I hope that readers of my review will find the attached copies of the restaurant menu useful.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4xAZ
Reviewed 15 September 2017

I stayed here recently with family and wanted to give this review for a number of reasons. There were many good points about the hotel/location, but there are also things that need(ed) to be addressed.

Good:

- Its location is pretty ideal for Hamilton. You're minutes off the 403 with easy-on and easy-off. It's also minutes from downtown so you don't have the chaotic nature of downtown but you can access it if you want.

- The staff was very pleasant at check-in and check-out; helpful, accommodating, and quick. Zero issue with either procedure.

- I was impressed with the front lobby; it had a really peaceful garden setting and that was appreciated. Some lobbies are stuffy and corporate. This was rather inviting.

- The room was comfortable and spacious. You couldn't really ask for much more for two people. The wifi was among the best I've seen, TV was easy to use, and the beds were swell.

Not-So-Good:

- Noise. This isn't the hotel's fault but perhaps something to watch for. The walls are paper thin. I was woken up around 5 am by two guys taking very loud in the hall. Then, at 8 am, a family across the hall decided to party like it was 1999 in their room. Kids screaming, TV blaring. That's fine during the day, but not first thing in the morning. The thing is, our room was steps (maybe 15 feet?) from the front desk. the noise was incredible from the hall; there's no way the front desk couldn't hear it. Someone needs to say something, esp. at 8 am. Respect goes a long way.

- We noticed a few "little things" within the room that added up to "let them know about these." First, we found a dead bug on the door lock. It was as if someone had locked the room and caught the bug perfectly. We immediately told the front desk and I'm told the response was "thanks... at least it's not alive?!" We were both surprised at that. I can see the humour in that response, but I'm a bit surprised nobody came to look and go "okay, let's do something about this." That'd be the first thing I do as a staff member. "You have a bug? I want to see and let's correct this NOW!" Second, the drain in the bathroom sink was extremely slow. It's a thing where you use the sink and, if you don't realize it's clogged, you don't pay attention and... flooded bathroom. Third, not a big deal but a "heads-up" (I've never personally seen it in any hotel). There were two switches on the wall near the door. Before bed, I went to turn both off. One was the main light for the room. The other did nothing, or so I thought. I flipped it on-and-off multiple times. Then, I realized... it turned off the power to the table between the beds. The radio/cell phone chargers turned off. I tested it several times to make sure I was seeing it correctly. I've seriously never seen that. Imagine someone doesn't realize and turns it off, accidentally turning off their charger/phone alarm? Not good.

All-in-all, this is a seriously good hotel. The location is ideal, the prices are very reasonable, and the rooms are comfortable. There are things that can be done to improve it (maintenance, cleaning, security, customer service), but none of those are difficult.

I realize this is a long review, but given our first encounter with the desk staff and our issue, I don't feel as if telling them our further concerns would have helped. I know the management reads these so I'm hoping they see this and go "okay, we need to fix these." There's no anger here. In fact, I booked a room in November and plan to keep it. I like the place. It just needs some fixing to be that much better.

Oh, and while I'm at it - the restaurant in the hotel is called "Reflections." Despite extensive searching, I have yet to see a menu online. That doesn't help anyone. People do their research before coming. They had a handful of people when I walked past, but I know I didn't eat there because I saw no menu online. I looked around elsewhere and found what I wanted before arriving. So, I have attached the restaurant menu as was seen in the room booklet. My hope is that someone sees it and decides to use it instead of going elsewhere. Just trying to help.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank OHLTG
Reviewed 11 September 2017

It's relatively inexpensive but I wish we had stayed somewhere else. Firstly the room we had was old and smelt terribly of smoke. The receptionist told me people ignore the no smoking. They should be charged the threatened fine then.

Secondly (and not the hotel's fault necessarily) inconsiderate people letting their teenage kids have races up the hallway at past midnight. What can you say,some people don't care about anyone other than themselves.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family