“Fine Dining in the Hammer. ”
Review of The French

The French
Ranked #24 of 1,396 Restaurants in Hamilton
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Fantastic Food, High-Class Service, Romantic Atmosphere, Affordable Prices...small cocktails!

The French hits all my happy levels across the board.. But bigger cocktails? .. Why so small? Beer and wine are a great choice but sometimes the moment calls for a sophisticated beverage. A beverage that perhaps still exists after 3 sips. BUT.. GREAT taste.

Reviewed 25 April 2018

Having been at The French on four occasions now, I remain with mixed feelings about its functioning. The restaurant is very well appointed and has a really nice downtown vibe about it, located centrally on King William Street in the constantly improving downtown core of a city that is on the rebound. The staff is friendly, welcoming and attentive. The food remains hit and miss in my book. Today, at lunch, I ordered the quiche of the day plus frites. The quiche had a "burnt' crust and was dried out by over-cooking. The generous helping of frites were very nice. The noise level in the place is overwhelming, requiring one to lean in on the very small table to catch what is being said by the companion. Two ladies complained about the heat, so the manager opened a door immediately behind us, which after about five minutes, had us frozen to the core. The second served beer was another type, requiring a replacement. The table was on a steep angle relative to the uneven flooring beneath. The restaurant was full, thus indicating it is successful and held in high regard by the regular patrons, of which I have yet to be convinced to join their ranks. As a huge booster of my hometown and wanting to see everybody who is making a go of it do well, I do wish The French the best of luck, but unless somebody else is picking up the tab, it will not be my first choice among a number of newer dining spots in this part of town.

3  Thank RJM215
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Ambiance
The ambiance was great. It was busy since it was a friday night but not too loud that you couldn't have a conversation at a comfortable level. We sat near the kitchen and we decided that if we came back we would NEED to sit at the kitchen counter so we could watch the chef work their magic. great for a romantic date night or a special celebration.

Appetizer
We started with the escargot. Neither my girl or I have ever had them so we didn't know what to expect. So glad we did. The escargot were perfectly cooked. They were meaty, soft and none of that chewy texture that I expected. I would definitely have them again.

Mains
For my main I went for the steak and frites but I replace the fries for the crushed potatoes. Steak was perfectly cooked and a good size portion. The potatoes were more like a potato salad, delicious but a little too small. It was served on a large plate so maybe it was only a plating issue. My girl had the trout almondine and had perfectly plated. The colours made the dish look fresh and the fish looked crispy but not dry. I only had a bite of the fish. Sooo good.

Drinks
We're not big drinker. Give me any red and I'm happy. She's more of a white wine person which was perfect for the meals we had. I went with 2 glasses of a french red they have. The waitress showed us the bottle before pouring and even offered us a tasting. It felt so fancy. Which brings us to my last point.

Dessert
The cheesecake. Cheese and chocolate. Need you know more? Sweet, soft and a good plating that wasn't over the top. I found it to have an interesting salty after taste. Not sure if it was just the combination of the wine with the cake but it was good.

Spectacular. Our waitress was friendly and attentive and I as I mentioned before she offered a tasting of the wine before we settled on it. That was a nice little touch of great service. She kept checking on us and always with a smile. I wish I could remember her name to give her the props she deserves. She complimented my date on what she was wearing and that gave her a smile that lasted for a while. It's the little things that make the difference.

Conclusion
Definitely going to come back. It's a bit pricey but worth it.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

A romantic night out with my wife landed us at The French started with some appetizers that were tasty and nicely displayed. Craft beer selection was good entres were fulfilling and delicious we sat at a table facing king William and with the snow and street lights flickering in the background made for an excellent evening. Will go again

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This was a date night for my bf and I and we had a great time! For whatever reason, my non wine drinking man decided to humour me and order a bottle of wine. Well.... what a time we had trying to pick one he would drink w me! The girl behind the bar was patient and informative. A real doll!

Apps and dinner were well thought out in terms of their flavour profiles amd we enjoyed the entire experience from wine to dessert.

Well done. Great service from our waiter. We left very happy

1  Thank Krista M