“True crepes excellence... menu, food, presentation, ambiance, service, value”
Review of Chavo Crepes

Chavo Crepes
Ranked #3 of 15 Dessert in Barrie
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 14 August 2016

My wife and I are true crepe fans…. as savory meals and desserts… breakfast, lunch or dinner… with decades of experience in restaurants small to fancy in North America, in various regions of France, Belgium, Switzerland and miscellaneous other countries. With that as background, we both agreed that Chavo Crepes is the best creperie that we have encountered.

We dropped in for lunch on a whim, without having read prior reviews, and were immediately surprised by the warm, clean, modern, upscale ambiance with quiet background music… well suited for special occasions as well as for drop-ins such as ourselves. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately with menus and a bottle of water. The menu is truly extensive and creative… includes vegan and gluten-free options… and requests for individual menu item modifications are cheerfully accommodated. Savory crepes are prepared with standard dessert crepe batter or traditional Bretagne-style buckwheat batter, customer’s choice.

Service was knowledgeable and patiently helpful both in explaining menu options and helping with decision making. My wife finally opted for the avocado and turkey bacon buckwheat crepe… with feta cheese added. I opted for the “Bulgarian sausage" buckwheat crepe which included tomato, sauteed pepper, onions and mushrooms. (I did state earlier that the menu is creative.)

When our orders arrived on the table they turned out to be large substantial meals, each with a touch of herb-filled dressing. Truly tasty. Never had better. My wife followed up with a fruit stuffed dessert crepe… rationalizing that the fruit made that a healthy choice. Without being requested, the plate came with two forks and I forced myself to munch a couple of bites. Really, really good.

In addition to superb presentation and preparation, great ambiance and excellent service, prices are very reasonable. If we lived in Barrie this would definitely become a regular “go-to” destination.

PS: Fully LLBO licensed… beer, wine, cocktails, etc.

Fully deserves a rare "Excellent" rating.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

The staff are pleasant and courteous! Owner really knows his food and cares about what goes into his dishes. Lots of option for the whole family.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Clean restaurant & inviting. Friendly & prompt service. Wide selection on the menu for both savoury & sweet crepes. I had the turkey, spinach, artichoke crepe. Expertly prepared & served. Quite filling. Also split a sweet crepe with my daughter. Nutella, banana & strawberry. Yummy! We will be back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

Best Crepes i have ever had. If you are in there make sure to try the Cheesecake Crepe...it is delicious and filling

Reviewed 5 July 2016

Stopped by for an afternoon dessert after reading excellent reviews! This place does not disappoint! Had the banana/strawberry/nutella crepe and it was AMAZING! Can't really describe it properly...but the texture of the crepe just made the difference. Anyone who likes crepes should definitely go.