“New nearby Italian - good potential ”
Review of Tavola Mia bistro

Tavola Mia bistro
Ranked #175 of 533 Restaurants in Barrie
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I tried this restaurant last month - we always passed this place on the way home so we dropped in. The place is tucked into an unassuming plaza, and the décor is minimalist (oddly of Parisian scenes given the restaurant has Italian fare). The one server and chef (I guess they own the place) explained they opened a few months ago - they were still even waiting for their liquor licence (I understand they have it now). However we went ahead to order arancini as a starter, followed by gnocchi and spaghetti.

The portions were generous and the pasta flavourful. We were also treated to complimentary cannoli, which was a lovely touch (perhaps for their early days). We will certainly be back, given the close proximity to home if we are in the mood for fresh Italian fare!

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

We went to this restaurant for dinner on a week night. It was not very busy - only four or five tables occupied. Service was fine and food portions were generous. The Caesar salad was fine and the meat sauce and pasta we had was very good. Wine by the glass was quite expensive.

However this restaurant has some drawbacks. There is absolutely no ambiance of any kind. Just one big room with a bunch of tables with no attempt at providing any type of privacy or atmosphere. It was noisy because it had high ceiling with heating ducts exposed and nothing to soften the sound- no carpets , blinds, drapes etc
We also found that the menu was extremely limited- it was the size of a card you might hang on the door of a hotel room asking for privacy. There were a few appetizers/salads/soup items, 4 or 5 pasta dishes-most just pasta no meat and 4-5 main dishes. Most of the pasta plate and main course dishes were quite expensive. I don’t eat dessert so I did not look at the menu items for this category. There was no special to augment the basic menus this particular night.

We will not return to this restaurant unless the atmosphere changes and the menu expands but would suggest you try it. If you happen to like what is on the menu and don’t mind the lack of atmosphere then you might enjoy it.

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

We have been to lots of Italian restsurants in our travels. There is a new one near our house and it is great! The food is great, the service is attentive amd we will become regulars. Best of luck on their new establishment!

Reviewed 23 October 2017

I dropped in to get some take out. I had tried to make an order over the phone, but the number repeatedly went to voice mail. The ambiance is a little lacking, one big room full of tables. There were only two tables occupied. I ordered 2 salads and 2 pasta dishes. The bill came to $70! The one pasta order was wrong, but they corrected it and delivered to my door the new dish. The Spaghetti al funghi was fantastic. My salad of lettuce , tomato and cucumber, although large I don't think warranted the $12.88 price tag. I always get excited about new Italian restaurants, this one too missed the mark.