“Awesome!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ontario
Mountain Trout Camp
Ranked #45 of 1,282 Speciality Lodging in Ontario
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for a night walking the Bruce Trail. Opted for an old log cabin which was just gorgeous and a unique place to stay. Kathy and Rod are fabulous hosts. This place has fab facilities for both hikers and family holiday spot. Highly recommend.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
MTCBrucePen, Owner at Mountain Trout Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thanks for the wonderful review! The little "Shasta" cabin is a favourite here. I sure hope your knee is getting better!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

"Grandparents with a 17 yr old young man and two 12 yr old girls (siblings)." Trailer

What can I say......... this tiny, wonderful, friendly, CLEAN, quiet, CLEAN camp is amazing. Right from booking to sadly leaving it was nothing but "home" and "family". We arrived just after 8 pm and were promptly met by Ron. So friendly, helpful and accommodating. Sadly never had the opportunity to meet his lovely wife Kathie but I'm sure she is the same. Even when Ron was on the quad travelling about the site, he would "stop" and say good morning or hello, not just drive by like so many others would. These people go out of their way to make sure that your stay is awesome.

Campsite was amazing and clean. Private, gravel bed, surrounded by cedars, quiet, loads of room to set up chairs and have a nice fire. Big picnic table and clean.

Johnny On The Spots were available if you didn't want to walk to the main washroom & showers (get to that in a minute). We had a Johnny on the Spot right across from out site. At 630 - 7 am each morning, it was cleaned and I mean CLEANED!

This leads to the main washroom/showers......... it is so clean that I felt guilty walking in with my shoes on to the point that I began to take my flip flops, remove my shoes just inside the door and walk with clean shoes on to the showers! This camp is looked after better than most homes I have been in.

The only downfall is no actual beach. However, there are areas for big and little people, canoe rentals, paddle boat rentals, boat rentals. Beautiful Gillies Lake and there is a big jumpy thing that the kids loved playing on (we had a 17 yr old and his two 12 year old sisters). They had a riot.

If you want a quaint, quiet, peaceful get away and don't mind driving to scenic places than this is your camp for sure. It is 30 minutes to Tobermory but so worth the stay here.

Cannot say enough about it.........did I mention how wonderful and clean it is? LOL

Do yourself a favour and check it out!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
MTCBrucePen, Owner at Mountain Trout Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Wow..... what do I say to that amazing review!!! Thanks soooooooo very much! I am sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you & your grandchildren too. Ron & I do expect fairly high standards in cleanliness. We love to share our little piece of paradise with people like you. Hopefully we will see you again sometime.
Kindest Regards, Ron & Kathie Parker

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Nice spot along Gillies lake. It's absolutely quiet and very clean. The host are nice. We stay only for one night on a primitive campsite but we enjoyed it. It's located about 35 minutes from Tobermory.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
MTCBrucePen, Owner at Mountain Trout Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Thanks for you nice review. Hopefully you can stay another time for a little bit longer to see what the Northern Bruce Peninsula can offer you.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

We stopped here for one night with our rental RV and sadly our plans changed so we couldn't stay our original planned second night. Nevertheless we had a memorable time particularly as it was hog roast night when we arrived to raise money for a defibrillator which was such fun and delicious. The 'locals' were really friendly and invited us to sit with them, it was a great experience for us Brits! The site is immaculate and our three girls had a great time on the inflatable and then we also hired a reasonably priced motor boat to hang out on the lake for an hour. The pitches are a good size and facilities very nice (love the piped music in the washrooms!). We stopped in over 10 sites on our road trip in Ontario and this one was up with the best.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
MTCBrucePen, Owner at Mountain Trout Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Thanks for the wonderful review and I think we all had a great time at the Pig Roast it was so yummy, I especially like the "Crackle" the crunchy outside skin and thank goodness the weather co-operated! We had many generous donations and we surpassed our goal for the AED machine so we hopefully have enough monies to purchased the outside casing for it:) it was a pleasure to have you for your short stay. Kindest Regards, Ron & Kathie Parker

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I camped at mountain trout camp and had an amazing time! The owners were so friendly and welcoming and gillies lake was so nice to swim in. We rented kayaks one afternoon and explored the lake which was so beautiful. The bathrooms were very clean and our campsite was nice too! We will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
MTCBrucePen, Owner at Mountain Trout Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

So happy to hear you had a wonderful time, kayaking Gillies Lake is I think one of the most peaceful relaxing things I love to do here. Maybe you will come for a longer visit next time. Thanks for the kind words, Ron & I expect cleanliness to the max, we use to be campers too:) and we thought that was 1 of the most important drawing cards to a campground!