“Great Ma & Pa Persian restaurant”
Review of shiraz

shiraz
Ranked #382 of 751 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: South End
Reviewed 18 September 2014

I stopped in here on my way to the Farmers Market at the seaport to see what it was like as a potential for someplace to eat lunch. There is a relatively small dining area, but the woman was so welcoming I decided to stay. I had the chicken with rice and charboiled tomato with a dish of hot sauce on the side. The meal was very tasty and overall a pleasant dining experience. It is like eating a home cooked meal in someone's kitchen.

1  Thank Howard S

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The restaurant is small - it is located in a former taxi dispatcher hut. The owners, an older couple from Iran, have tried to make it cheerful and welcome. The feeling is very homey, it feels nice to be take care of by those lovely people who put their hearts into the place. The food is good, prepared as if one visited their own house. I definitely loved it.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This place looks like a dump as you drive or walk by - a little better inside and the food was very delicious and very interesting. There are three or four tables and it is as it looks from the outside; very small. It felt like I walked into a place in Cairo. It tasted like great street food would taste in Cairo.

The lamb wrap ($8) was loaded with vegetables and I couldn't finish the whole thing, as tasty as it was. I also had the stuffed grape leaves ($3) and a mint tea. A winning combination!

The sauces at the tables are also very different, interesting and good - good enough that I asked if I could buy some of their hot sauce to take with me. She said, "sure!". I asked, "how much?" She said, "ten bucks" and fetches me one of the plastic red bottles they put on the tables, full of hot sauce. Awesome!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Great food full of flavours... When you see this little place on Hollis st you wouldn't believe how good the food could be! They have pretty much all famous Persian dishes and all the ingredients are fresh. This is my favourite mom & pops restaurant and I'd definitely back.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Definitely visit this restaurant and order some amazing food. The owners prepare your meal especially for you and your guests. It's a very small place n you can always get your order "to go". Make sure to order the freshly made baklava - it is so so delicious. It's simple but excellent. Make sure to write a review afterwards and enjoy!!!!