Open today: Closed
More Information

Ways to Experience Africville Museum
from US$56.37
More Info
All reviews bedford basin black history fairview cemetery petition information housed
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 July 2019

We did many events and historic spots and saw nothing about Africville and the museum there. The ArtGallery is where we saw great info about Black History in NS so at last I asked the guide why so little about it? Found out about this museum and went to see it by cab and it was closed. Beautiful location, well kept grounds. NS needs to own all of its history and provide good signage to get there. Also find this little gem so it can tell the TRUE HISTORY of NS 7 days a week!!!

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Nutsabouthistory
Reviewed 8 May 2019

I have heard the story of Africville, drive by it every time I go to Halifax, but have never actually visited. We were greeted by friendly staff and given a brief presentation and then allowed to wander through the museum. I can't say I learned a lot, since I already knew the story, but actually being there brought the story home. Also a nice walk along the Bedford basin in Seaview Park.

Date of experience: May 2019
Andrew H, Outreach at Africville Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2019

Thank you for coming by to visit with us, I'm glad that you were able to spend some time here on the land

Reviewed 3 October 2018

We heard the song "Africville" by 4 the Moment so we stopped by. Our family stopped by. The staff inside the little church museum is well-informed and are family members of former resident. Thanks for the tour and the walk and our little picnic. Without a car, it would be hard to get to-- no bus.

Date of experience: August 2018
6  Thank Halifax2016
Reviewed 19 September 2018

This is a sad story, but the tenacious residents and their relatives have turned this into a victory. The replica church is a museum that tells the story of the community of Africville that was severely taken advantage of by the government of Halifax. I bought the book "Spirit of Africville" which tells the whole story along with photos of what the community looked like in its past.

Date of experience: September 2018
3  Thank leemike
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Small but hard hitting, memorable moving museum highlited with the personal experiences of the docents/staff on the history of Africville part of Halifax. Easy to drive to with plenty of parking.

Date of experience: September 2018