“A Gem in Halifax”

Ranked #512 of 751 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$8 - US$12
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 26 June 2015

I work downtown in Halifax and often eat out for lunch with family and friends. They have been to Aleppo many times and will definitely keep going in the future. Aleppo's lunch buffet is filled with over 20 food options - all delicious and accommodating for any dietary restrictions. I follow a dairy and meat free diet and have never been to a restaurant with as many options for myself as Aleppo. That being said, they always have many meat dishes in their buffet including lamb, chicken, and pork. Their salads are fantastic, and their hummus is one of the best I have ever tasted ( and I am a HUGE fan of hummus).
Not only is their food fantastic, but their price is appropriate as well. I believe it's $11 for the lunch buffet and this includes the salads, pita, hummus, and main dishes. I've seen a few reviews talking about a limit of 2 plates being filled up but I'm sure if you saw how much one can fit on their plate, you wouldn't even consider the need to have more than 2.

Basically, the food tastes amazing and fits all kinds of diets, the price is one of the best in Halifax, and the owners are always so friendly and kind!

I HIGHLY recommend Aleppo and would be very surprised if someone didn't enjoy their lunch buffet.

Reviewed 20 January 2015

My husband and I visited Aleppo again a few weeks ago and were very disappointed. The food is still really good, but it wasn't until we went back up to the buffet for a third plate, that we were told there is now a limit of two plates of food per guest. Not only was this embarrassing, but we were still hungry when we left. If we had known about this before, we would have taken enough to eat with the two plate limit. The price has increased and you no longer get a dessert. We don't mind that and we would have been ok with the plate limit, too, if we had known before we ordered.
We both felt embarrassed to have been told about this policy change when we were standing at the buffet with plates in hand. It's too bad, because we really liked this place, but I doubt we would ever go back.

3  Thank Singent
Reviewed 25 November 2014

In a quiet hall of brewery, nice little restaurant with delicious middle eastern food. I was surprised by the variety of choices. I also found what I ordered was delicious.

Usually when ethnic restaurants open, they change their recipes according to the taste of the community they are in. Which may sound like a good thing, but they fall far from authentic tastes. This place must have kept its ground so far. I did appreciate that feature.

Friendly service and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have only recently discovered this hidden gem and have been there twice now with friends to have the buffet food. Each time the food is absolutely superb and at a surprisingly low cost of $10 which is almost a give-away!
The couple who own the place are also very pleasant indeed. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for good quality fresh food at excellent value for money.

1  Thank Manal E
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I work in the same building as the Cafe and like to support a business that is clearly trying so hard in a quiet location which has had failures before. I've had "Greek" choices a couple of times and enjoyed them. Then one day I got a Philly Steak and Cheese Pita, and the garlic sauce was slathered on so thick, I thought they had mistaken my order. Yuck! Not happy, but I just won't order it again. For today, a Clubhouse Pita. My mouth was watering thinking of the bacon, just the trick to brighten up a rainy Monday. BUT... THEY MADE IT WITH SLICED BOLOGNA!!!!!! Really???? I was DONE after just a few bites, and threw the rest OUT!! I may order lunch here again, if it's raining and I don't feel like going outside, but it's going to take some time to get over these weird (and disgusting) flourishes by the cook. Ask before you order to be SURE you're getting what you think you have ordered. Jeepers!!!!

1  Thank Lou1489