All reviews full kitchen great location street noise grafton street stove top waffle maker bedroom suite bars and restaurants neptune theatre underground parking sofa bed rooftop patio hotel is located walking distance living area rooms are spacious the hotel is clean
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

First, let me preface this by saying I have stayed at over 100 nights at Starwood properties and now Marriott as a Marriott Gold Member. Of those stays I have NEVER left a hotel early to book another hotel. I had two rooms that were originally slated to stay June 20-24. During the evening hours of June 23 at 2:30am I awoke to loud music being played outside the hotel by local bars which lasted until 5am! I had earplugs that did nothing to mitigate the noise. I actually had to double check that a window wasn’t open. I have never had such a terrible nights sleep at a hotel before. Multiple calls to the front desk didn’t resolve the issue either.
I think the hotel is great if you want to party all night long, but if you actually want to sleep it is not the appropriate hotel!
All I can say is that I would HIGHLY recommend that the hotel invest in double pained windows as you can hear EVERYTHING from the street. I would also recommend the hotel contacting the city of Halifax to find out what city ordinances exist as it was obvious noise ordinances were NOT enforced.
In the morning waiting, the front desk staff who acted as if it was just a typical Friday night for the hotel and stated that the noise is quite common. I found their lack of concern to be extremely discomforting as a hotels primary purpose is to get a night sleep while on a trip.
The numerous other guests I witnessed complain about the noise suggests this is not an isolated incident. All in all, the front desk staff let us leave a night early and we made a reservation at the Courtyard by Marriott where we were able to get a good nights sleep with peace and quiet .
Unless action is taken by the hotel, it will inevitably get a very notorious reputation and NOT in a good way.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Business_TravelerNH1
Meaghan W, Manager at Residence Inn Halifax Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Business_TravelerNH1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I would like to take this time to apologize for the noise disturbance caused by the near by bars. Although our location can be great for many different reasons, the downtown noise can be quite elevated at times. I understand that the noise levels this past weekend were exceptional and can assure you this is not the norm. Please know our overnight team was working with the Police to address the noise overnight and Management has been following up this week as well.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

I was in town for a sporting event a couple of blocks away, so this was a great location that allowed me to walk to the Wanderer's Grounds.
It's only two blocks from The Citadel, with The Public Gardens just a block beyond that.
And the hotel is just a block from trendy restaurants on Argyle Street, so you can't beat this place for location.

I like Residence Inns in general because the hotels have everything you need, without the long hallways and extensive public rooms of the more upscale Marriott properties.

The room was everything that I need for four days of work.
A full-size kitchen (fridge, dishwasher, everything) allows me to pick up quick items in the hotel market so I can settle in to work.
The room, suite really, is really spacious. In any other hotel this would be a double-wide room. The kitchen and dining is separate from the desk, which is apart from the sofa, chair and TV. Comfy bed and bathroom, with all the high-end finishes (granite) that you have no right to expect at this price.

So, I'm a happy camper. Happy to be in Halifax, delighted that the Residence Inn has everything I need without a lot of fuss.

Room Tip: The rooms that look out on Argyle Street could get noisy in the evenings, on weekends. Ask fora room facing Grafton St.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Cailin56

Cailin56,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your feedback, it is very much appreciated! It is nice to know you enjoyed your suite at the Residence Inn Halifax.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Halifax!

Reviewed 24 June 2018

The central location of the Residence Inn in Halifax is great, but the hotel is located directly adjacent to several streets with popular bars and restaurants. On both a Friday and Saturday night in late June 2018, we stayed in a 2nd floor suite and the noise from the street between 9:00 PM and 4:30 AM was UNBELIEVABLY LOUD. Seeming hoards of young people were on the streets and talking/yelling loudly, the music from the bars sounded like it was in our room, and this went on and on and on. Our only salvation, discovered on the second night of our stay, was to turn the white noise app on our mobile phones to the highest level, and leave them on all night.

So if you're a light sleeper, or don't like white noise cover-ups, avoid this hotel on a weekend. Don't know yet about the activities on Sunday through Thursday nights, so it might not be as bad.

Room Tip: Based on conversation with another guest, higher level floors DON'T help with noise level from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkFlyFish
Meaghan W, Manager at Residence Inn Halifax Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear MarkFlyFish,

I would like to take this time to apologize for the noise disturbance caused by the near by bars. Although our location can be great for many different reasons, the downtown noise can be quite elevated at times. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room however and that you found a solution with the white noise machine.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We had a great stay!! It is conveniently located in Halifax not far from the waterfront and only a short walk to Scotia centre!!!
We had a 1 bedroom suite and it was lovely!! Very clean and all you need!!!
In the lobby the evening meal was free and delicious!! Breakfast was great!! Lots to pick from!!
Coffee free at all times in the lobby!!!
The staff is extremely helpful and friendly!!!
A great place to stay!!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 220karenl
Meaghan W, Manager at Residence Inn Halifax Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Karen L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is very much appreciated. It is nice to know you enjoyed your stay at the Residence Inn Halifax.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We had a back king suite this time which was huge and quiet. It is within walking distance to the waterfront and is right in the pub area for eating. Last time we were right over the noisy pub street with pounding music into the wee hours and sleeping was impossible. Beware and ask for a quiet room if this matters to you.

Although we didn’t cook, there is a full kitchen. Travelling with family, bring some food and save.

Only thing I would change: instead of those infuriating tiny plastic shampoo bottles, why not have refillable dispensers in each shower?

Pillows were heaven.

The $4 plastic bottle of water on offer was a slight piss-off.

Breakfast was nearly perfect. Real plates and cutlery and porcelain mugs and glassware was so classy. (I hate disposables - so wasteful and unpleasant to eat from). Lots of choices except the mystery-meat looked way too mysterious. Coffee was delicious.

No pool but, nice exercise room.

Loved the macadamia nut cookies in a glass jar on the reception desk. Nice touch!

We will be back.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 596morganp

Morgan P,

Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us especially the breakfast. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in Halifax!