See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed in the Room at the Top for a week for our honeymoon in Halifax and had a great time! The owners were very nice, and friendly. The breakfast was delicious and very filling. We booked ahead of time and got a great deal for a very spacious and comfortable room. We are looking forward to coming back in the future!

Room Tip: The Room at theTop has steep stairs, but is worth it for the private deck, kitchenette, and space.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Meg_Japan
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Enjoyed our stay here immensely. The room was spotless, with extra blankets and pillows if needed. Even though we were on the street side of the house, very little traffic noise came through. We shared the bathrooms with other guests upstairs, but never had a problem accessing the bathroom. The bathrooms were very clean with plenty of clean towels.

Breakfast was very big, with cereal, muffins supplementing a hot breakfast served by our hostesses. First morning we had some of the best French toast I've ever tasted. Second morning we had eggs to order and bacon. Very good each day.

Our hostess was very accommodating, allowing us to use the back entrance to carry our luggage up from the parking area. She was very friendly and tried to spend some time talking to us, but was very busy in the mornings getting breakfast ready for all the guests. Tigger (the cat) was very friendly, welcomed us to the city and made sure we were settled!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Overall our experience was OK. It is located a 1/2 hr walk from the historic district of Halifax and free parking behind the b&b was a plus.

The owners were cordial however, they didn't go to the usual lengths to make our stay memorable. They were not particularly forthcoming with information on what to do and where to eat. They did answer basic questions and exhibited the minimum level of friendliness required.

The room was large and comfortable, although the set up with the shared bathroom was extremely awkward and no mention of this was made prior to our arrival. We don't have a problem with shared bathrooms, but we had to leave our room, walk past the dining room to reach it - an awkward proposition if you choose to sleep in in the morning. The light switch was located outside of the room. In our opinion it shouldn't have been a room, it just gave the impression that they wanted to squeeze the last ounce of profit from the house. Perhaps the upstairs rooms were better.

Breakfast was very disappointing. No hot breakfast and it's a vegetarian house. The two mornings that we were there the owners made it seem like it was a huge inconvenience to provide breakfast. Muffins were home made and quite good, but no effort was put into the breakfast. If we're staying at a bed and BREAKFAST the least they could have done was provide creative vegetarian alternatives like french toast or pancakes. Breakfast also seemed quite disorganized, you never knew what was on offer.

It wasn't the worst experience we've ever had, but I wouldn't recommend it when there are so many other options in Halifax.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LongDistanceLove
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I was in Halifax for a week and stayed at the Fresh Start. It was comfortable, clean and lovely. The shared bathrooms were spotless, and despite the place being full, I never had to wait. While the hotel was not in the center of Halifax, it was a short walk (or an even shorter bus ride) in a quiet diverse neighborhood, that I quite liked. The proprietors were friendly, and the breakfasts were very good, with cereal, yogurt, fruit and muffins, with either eggs or french toast, depending on the day. When I came in drenched from the rain, they were kind enough to make me a hot cup of tea and a muffin, which was a very nice touch!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Selkiechick
Reviewed 20 October 2008

The only truly bad experience I have ever had at a B&B. This establishment pulled a fast one one on me!

The "Room At The Top" (ensuite bathroom, kitchenette, etc) was horrible. Bed; very uncomfortable mattress, linen not that great, and inadequate pillows. Kitchenette: put together by extremely amateur carpenter (cupboards were cut out of plywood sheets little more etc. Bathroom: same bad carpentery work, towels were washed I think - but stained, only hand soap available, no shampoo/conditioner etc. no extra toilet paper. TV: might as well have been non-existent, tiny + cheap, no remote with a cable hook up that didn't work well - practically no reception only 3 channels were received okay (had to fiddle with cable connection though). Windows couldn't be opened - actually painted shut! Worst was the smell - very old wall to wall carpet and dirty wornout furniture throughout the suite, smelt unclean and stuffy - I left the patio door ajar all night just to try to get some fresh air in order to sleep (which I didn't do very well - thank goodness I brought a hot water bottle with me!)

Overall a very bad experience. Breakfast was okay (coffee was terrible) but large selection of muffins etc, unfortunately not the freshest though I would expect at a B&B (some breakfast selections were still in ziploc bags?).

Will never book here again, and not recommend it to others! Perhaps the other rooms are much more comfortable but I was extremely disappointed in the lack of care/attention and yet overprice of the suite I booked and felt the B&B owners took advantage of an unsuspecting guest. For over 20+ experience they should have shown more professional care/integrity in what they offered/advertised.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business