“Surprise: This place has fantastic sushi”
Review of Gabrieau's Bistro

Gabrieau's Bistro
Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Antigonish
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Came here for lunch. I had the California club and my husband had the sushi platter. My sandwich was just what I was looking for and I was happy that this was the type of place where my husband could get some sushi. You see, I don't like sushi very much, so we almost never go to a sushi restaurant, but when we sat down and saw an entire sushi menu, that seemed like a great sign. My husband loved his lunch. According to him, it was tasty, fresh, maybe cut a little thick, but he was on cloud nine.

1  Thank Tang126

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Our best lunch of the entire vacation! Gabrieau’s Bistro is the “Winner of Taste of Nova Scotia ~ Restaurant of the Year for Chef Inspired Fine Dining. Recommended by Where to Eat in Canada ~ Star Rating 14 consecutive years and winners of the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator Magazine from 2008-2013. Gabrieaus is the perfect marriage of wine and food!”
I enjoyed an herb-encrusted biscuit and a divine carrot and squash bisque soup. Next, I devoured a seafood croissant filled with bits of lobster, scallops, sweet shrimp, sliced cucumber, and lettuce. How good was the seafood croissant you ask? My eyes rolled back and I moaned.

1  Thank Joni M F
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Mark Gabrieau's restaurant was an accidental discovery on a trip 10 years ago. We go back whenever we can to enjoy his creations. The staff is friendly and professional and the food is outstanding.

2  Thank brucepjcampbell1
Reviewed 20 August 2017

After two hours of driving back to Dartmouth via Route 316 from Port Felix to Antigonish recently, we finally arrived at this well known Antigonish fine dining restaurant. Listed as #4 of 32 Antigonish eateries on Trip Advisor, Gabrieau’s has been around for almost twenty years. When I was growing up, you usually had three choices, Wongs, Moonlight and the Bon Ton. Not surprising the 32 eateries listed on Trip Advisor includes McDonalds, Tim’s and lots of pubs and pizza places. Unlike Wolfville, what is surprising for this university town, is the lack of upscale dining choices for both locals and visiting parents.

When we arrived at 7:00 pm, there were plenty of seats available for Thursday evening dining. We chose a a Rufino Pinot Grigio before giving our meal choices to our waitress. The N.S. Braised Cultivated Mussels simmered in wine, summer savory & roasted garlic with a hint of cream seemed like a good starter. Unfortunately, when they arrived, they had to be sent back (no reason being disclosed here). The second order took a while to make an appearance.

The re-order seemed to delay our next course, the Grilled Caesar Nouveau - romaine lettuce, endive & radicchio garnished with foccacia croutons, house peppered bacon & Parmesan chip. It was tossed in a lemon, garlic & anchovy dressing. I have had many Caesar salads over the years and this one was up there in the top 5. I liked the idea of the slice of bacon for a unique presentation. We chose to split the $11 salad and there was plenty for both of us to enjoy.

The main menu includes five pasta choices and eight other entrees from Salmon to Steak so there is something for every palette.

I had the Shrimp & Mussel Linguini tossed with grilled vegetables, house made pesto, wine, tomato & arugula. It was topped with parmigiana reggiano. The grilled veggies were sparse as was the cheese on top. The shrimp & pesto and wine sauce were tasty though. I had forgotten that the mussels would appear in their shells in this dish. I try to avoid this presentation in a restaurant if I know the mussels appear in their shells rather than in the actual mixture.

Janice chose the Sea Scallop Fettuccini Carbonarra with bacon, onion, peas, garlic, egg, wine, cream & parmigiana. We are both certain that our waitress had said there would be six scallops on the skewer but the dish arrived with only three. The other surprise was the mostly raw egg on top of the pasta presentation. According to Janice (and I had a small taste), it was not as tasty as many other carbonarra dishes we’ve enjoyed.

It was getting late so we passed on the desserts. We had to face a two hour drive home.

I don’t think much has changed at Gabrieau’s in 20 years. But from the look of fellow diners it continues to attract a loyal following of folks looking for a special night out. I spoke to a few folk from the area who return home a few times a year and I tend to agree with their comments that a makeover is overdue along with a refresh of the menu.

Note: Sadly, don’t expect to find too many places to eat on the 316. A ride that would normally take 90 minutes took two hours due to the terrible condition of the roads between Port Felix and Country Harbour.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Found it by making a wrong turn. What luck! We had a turkey sandwich and a Cobb salad. I loved my Cobb salad and I've eaten a lot of them. It was not over stuffed, ingredients were good and fresh. Would eat another right now if I could.

1  Thank patricia w