“Best Bistro in Town!”

Bullock's Bistro
Ranked #4 of 82 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Stop by Bullock's Bistro in Yellowknife to try delicious platter fish and chips tonight and find out for yourself why Reader's Digest voted them #1 in Canada.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

One travel rule I always keep is "Ask the locals what their favourite place to eat is and eat there!". I also ask anyone who has traveled to the destination I am going to the same question. Hands down Bullock's Bistro wins for Yellowknife every single time! No kidding!!...it really is the first place people recommended to have a meal every single time I asked,....and that includes wait staff from other restaurants telling me "if you haven't been to Bullock's you really need to go!". I now understand why! It's a funky looking place from the outside and if you weren't actually looking for it you might walk right by (unless there was a line up outside the door which I'm told happens during the tourist seasons). It's just as funky inside with all the paraphernalia tacked to the walls and ceiling....think of it as a living scrap book or memory book....it's amazing with signatures and notes from people who have traveled from all over the world and eaten there....even some quite famous people! I loved the atmosphere...a real treasure! I was very fortunate to visit Bullock's on the last Saturday in October at lunch and thankfully it wasn't too busy so we were able to get a table...one of the blessings of travelling to Yellowknife when the weather is lousy! lol The sweet young waitress was friendly, outgoing had a good sense of humour, was very attentive and she had a very beautiful smile. The owner/chef was charming, friendly, was very enjoyable to chat with and he was definitely a wizard in the kitchen. Both my husband and I had their pan friend whitefish which was outstanding and we had it with half fries, half salad (as our waitress recommended)...and everything was fresh, fresh, fresh! You can not beat fresh caught fish and fresh cut fries - seriously delicious! Oh and thank you very much for it being cinnamon bun Saturday....fresh from the oven (how could you resist!?!) jumbo cinnamon buns...for dessert! YUM! I had a lot of great meals in Yellowknife but I would have to say that my meal at Bullock's was hands down my favourite! I would highly recommend and I would return in a heartbeat!

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love the food and the service. Staff and atmosphere is so comfortable and friendly. The food portions are very generous and delicious. The restaurant is small and normally packed, reservations are definitely recommended.

Date of visit: April 2018
Thank E.l B
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Food was great, a rustic place. I ordered artic char grilled. Nicely charred with fish. With fries cut out from scratch. Taste was good with the herbs used. But the salad sauce just over powers everything. Sauce was good though.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

This place is as rustic as you can get. It basically looks like a cabin from the outside as well as the inside. The walls are plastered with notes, stickers, signs, licence plates, foreign money and odd memorabilia. This place is very rough around the edges, just like the service here. It is also very packed almost all the time. Chances are, if you don’t get here early enough, you won’t find a seat for a long time. Not only that, they will probably run out of the fresh fish that they are known for, before you even order. It’s that type of place. It should also be a place to eat at if you find yourself in Yellowknife.

After eating here a couple of other times before, when they ran out of fish for the Kingfisher Platter, I made a point of getting here very early, in time to order the Kingfisher Platter. It had 4 varieties of fish on a skewer, grilled. It came with fresh cut fries. The fish was nothing short of exceptional. Very tasty. The fries were ok. Beer was self serve and paid for by an honour system.

Bottom line: The Seafood here was very fresh and tasty. Atmosphere is very rustic and loud. You don’t come here for the service or a quiet and romantic setting. You come here for very good seafood and to say you ate here while in Yellowknife. Period.

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

It is a small restaurant with limited items on the menu, but why need more when they do well on those listed dishes?

Ordered a pan fried cod fish and a buffalo ribeye, both came in huge portion, surprisingly tasty and well seasoned. The cod fish was the highlight! I found the staffs quite friendly and enjoyed my dinner there a lot. Reservation is highly recommended!