“"Upscale" dinning...”

Thornton's Wine & Tapas Room
Ranked #7 of 82 Restaurants in Yellowknife
Price range: US$1 - US$23
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Wedged discreetly between a bowling alley and a shooting range is Yellowknife’s hidden gem. A great wine selection, beer and cocktails, paired with Yellowknife's finest cuisine makes for an unexpected night out. An early bird? Join us on Sunday's for a bottomless brunch like no other. Call 867-669-WINE (9463) to reserve. Reservation are highly recommended. Cheers!
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Based on the restaurants that I enjoyed in Yellowknife, I would consider Thornton's to be more upscale that most of the others I visited. It doesn't look like much from the outside but it had that feeling inside with the low lights and decor. I ordered the blackened whitefish with garlic mashed potatoes and fennel salad....it was all very delicious and well seasoned. The wine selection was great. Service was outstanding. The only downfall was dessert...I ordered a pavlova and it was hard as a rock and lacked flavour....the fresh fruit on top was nice but the pavlova itself was horrible I'm sorry to say so it was a big letdown after an amazing meal. Nice touch to be given a wrapped chocolate mint to end the experience though. I would go back...but just order a different dessert.

1  Thank taximom5

Reviewed 4 November 2018

By far the best brunch I have ever had. An all you can eat, but not buffet brunch, for $25. Add on $25 bottomless mimosas and there's no better way to spend a Sunday.
How it works is you choose your eggs cooked any way or you can choose a frittata, 2 omlette otions (one meat and one vegetarian option) and 2 eggs Benedict options (again one meat and one vegetarian option). On the bar they set up a Serve Yourself coffee, tea, juice and water station. Plus a meat and cheese board, fruit platter, and yogurt parfaits. Your eggs then come served with a platter filled with homemade hash browns, ham, buttermilk pancakes, and the most delicious stuffed French toast. I seriously cannot get enough of the French toast.
Just be warned that by the time you finish brunch the only thing you'll be doing with the rest of your Sunday is passing out on the couch from your food coma. I'd also really strongly recommended that you book reservations to ensure you get a table.
Their dinner menu is also great and they have added a few more options for vegetarian meals to this Winter's menu.
Overall I really really strongly recommend that you try this restaurant. It's great for a romantic date night but also just for a night out with the girls or guys.

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

It was our last night in Yellowknife and we weren't sure what to expect when we pulled up, as the exterior is very unassuming. The interior is so charming and has great ambiance. The service was wonderful. We had the Caesar salad, bison dumplings, lamb rack, beef tenderloin, and Kahlua creme brulee. Everything was fantastic, my only complaint was that I didn't love the patee on the tenderloin but that was easy enough to eat around. Husband says it was his best dinner out in as long as he can remember.

Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

My mind has been opened to the offerings in this small northern city. I definitely didn't expect this quality of fare here. We walked in and were the only people but that soon changed as the tables quickly filled. The menu may be small but is full of unique tastes. The staff was friendly and accommodating. My friend had his favourite bison dumplings and steak tartar, while I enjoyed a very tasty steak done to perfection. We capped off dinner with dessert with one of my favourites - sticky toffee pudding. A great meal for my last night in town.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

On our last night in Yellowknife we decided to go to Thornton's on a recommendation from one of our tour guides. Upon reading the reviews we wanted to try the Artic Char. My friend and I both tried it in different versions. Also had the Bison dumplings. Everything was very delicious!! For a Friday night the place was slow which worked in our favour. Nice way to end our time in Yellowknife.

Date of visit: March 2018