“You have to have fish n chips”

Ches's Fish And Chips
Ranked #45 of 409 Restaurants in St. John's
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Newfoundland's famous Fish & Chips. Celebrating 60 years in business, and is still run by the 2nd & 3rd generations of Barbours. All fresh products (except for the off fishing season) Ches's prides itself on having the best quality food that can be found. (example they hand select their "chip" potato from 6-7 samples each week for color, texture and taste)We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Nothing says being in Newfoundland like have a feed of fish and chips here at Ches's. You won't be disappointed. Be prepared to have a feast.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

I lived around the corner from here going to University and it is my first stop whenever I come back ‘home’. I always recommend it to visitors as a must do whenever they visit St John’s. The best Codfish ever, fries with dressing underneath and gravy on the top. Order it this way and they will think that you’re a local.
I was in St John’s for 1 day this week and it was my only meal venue. Probably not the most healthy for you but life’s too short not to indulge!!!

Reviewed 15 June 2018

With all the great reviews this place had and being on the You Got To Eat Here show .I thought it was for sure the number one place to visit on my trip to NFLD..I am sorry to report this place was brutal the fish was old and dry and the batter was very greasy .All 3 of us had different dishes and they all sucked .Not to mention the place is way overpriced .The only reason I gave it a 2 rating was because the service was good..

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

I just landed this afternoon, and it's my first time in Newfoundland. I didn't eat anything since this morning, but I'm glad to have chosen this place to satisfy my hunger. The waitress was really nice and friendly. She offered my an appetizer platter of mussels, but I'm not a fan, so I declined. I ordered a 2-piece fish and chips, and with the chips, gravy and dressing. Dressing is really tasty turkey style stuffing. I'm usually not a fan of it either, but I said I have to try it. The dressing wasn't too overpowering, and fit really well with the fries and gravy. I recommend it. The fish was also nice and flaky, and the batter crispy. I declined to see the dessert menu (they seem to have a nice choice but I'm full), but she brought me a platter of small bite size cupcakes. I could surely eat one. I really enjoyed my supper. Now, let's visit the town.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Good food. Nice fish and chips. Love the dressing and gravy. This is our first time trying this tradition...we loved it.