“Here is where the local people eat”

Ches's Fish And Chips
Ranked #45 of 431 Restaurants in St. John's
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Newfoundland's famous Fish & Chips. Celebrating 60 years in business, and is still run by the 2nd & 3rd generations of Barbours. All fresh products (except for the off fishing season) Ches's prides itself on having the best quality food that can be found. (example they hand select their "chip" potato from 6-7 samples each week for color, texture and taste)We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

So if you are coming to St Johns. Everyone will tell you to eat here. There are several locations. I stopped for lunch and had fish and chips. It was very fresh, did not leave any greasy residue and was not "fishy" at all. Everyone was friendly and attentive to customers needs. I met one of the owners Sylvia who interacted with customers and employees very well. I went back for the steamers which did not disappoint. Remember this is a fast food place not a 5 star resort. Some of the other reviews in my opinion are not fair. All the local people eat here,,,, they should know!

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Went to Ches's Fish and Chips ...what can I say it was $5.00 Tuesday unknown to us but it was a really good deal for 1 piece of fish and fries ...we had Caesars ...mimosas and beer ..it was all good ...the fish was crisp on the outside and moist on the inside ...oh yes it calls for another visit ...

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Ches's have been in business for over 50 years.Serving up all the good things the sea has to offer!Any one who visits here always gets a feed of ches's it's a favorite of the locals as well.Be sure to have dressing and gravy on it !

1  Thank rickcardo
Reviewed 2 September 2017

I have lived in St. John's for many years and have never had Ches's Fish and Chips. Tonight I wanted fries, dressing and gravy so I decided to get Ches's. I had a takeout order of one piece fish and chips with dressing and gravy and a side of small onion rings (no drink). I was surprised that the bill was almost $19. There was very little gravy on the fries and battered on the fish and onion rings was horrible. First and last time eating here for this overpriced tasteless food.

1  Thank stjohnsked01
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Staff were very friendly and service was efficient. Found for the most part that while the food was fresh, it was not very tasty. Particularly the scallops and the onion rings. We would not go back.