“Great Food”

Ches's Fish and Chips
Ranked #144 of 439 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Deli, Seafood, Fast food
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Me and two friends had a late lunch at Ches's and what a treat. I had steamed cod with onions and it was the best cod dish I have had. My friends had the fish and chips and swear that it was truly the finest fish and chips by far. You will need a vehicle to get to the location but it is no far, about 10 mins from the Leaside accommodation and about 20 mins from downtown. There is plenty of parking at the restaurant. Casual dress, nothing fancy. Staff are wonderful.

Date of visit: July 2015
FamousFishandChips, General Manager at Ches's Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2016

Thanks for giving us such a positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the staff at this location. They are great!

Reviewed 5 August 2015

The waitress seemed very unhappy to be working, and asked our party of 5 to pull up a chair and sit at a 4 seater table, because most other tables were dirty. I ordered a chicken tenders and fries, which was slow coming out but was decent. Anything else I wanted, they were all out of. The waitress was very rude, slapping whatever we asked for onto the table. Not impressed.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed 4 August 2015

Heard great things about this place but I would say, skip it. The fish and chips that we had were ok, but not any different than what we get back home in Ontario. I started my meal with chowder and it was terrible. Bland and way too thick.

Had much better meals the rest of our time in St. John's.

Reviewed 3 August 2015

I was kind of put off when I first went in here as I didn't find it overly clean, but my friend is from NL and assured me the food was great. We both had the fish and chips and it was pretty good. I didn't find it too greasy and the fish was fresh. The only, reason I give this a 3 star instead of 4 is the overall appearance and atmosphere. Needs a good scrubbing!

Reviewed 29 July 2015

Heard all the raves, and had to try it, first time my cholesterol went up 10points. Decided to give a different ches's a try, nope greasy. Never again.
I'll keep going to Dicks (Bell island)or By the Beach (Portugal Cove)

Date of visit: May 2015