“Down to earth quick bite”
Review of Big R

Big R
Ranked #230 of 409 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

This place may not be for everyone but it sure was for me. Very friendly and local feel which I so enjoy. I had fish and chips with gravy stuffing peas and carrots. It was tasty what I liked about the fish was it was not overly greasy nor did it have tons of batter - it was very tasty. I liked the gravy on the fries and tartar sauce was not a huge fan of the dressing but I am glad I tried it as it is a local recommendation.

Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

Great spot for your classic breakfast on weekends. 6.99$ classic with homemade bread really hits the spot. Parking is limited however isn't to hard to find spot on weekends. Staff here has always been warm and inviting, especially to kids.
Your not getting anything fancy here but the breakfast is consistent and tasty, I'll say again this spot makes there own bread and it's good

Reviewed 7 September 2016

I finally made it "home" this summer to Newfoundland after being away for 9 years, and getting a good meal of fish was at the top of my priority list. After having had a disappointing meal at Ches's the day before, my brother suggested we try this place for lunch. He really likes Big R and comes here regularly. They had a special on fish 'n brewis, so we both ordered that. I must say that it was the worst I have ever had. It was a really small portion, extremely dry and completely tasteless. I am not sure if there was a quarter cup of fish in it or not. I noticed afterwards that the item was erased from the blackboard when we went to pay, so maybe someone else complained, or we got the tail end of it...

In any case, I hope the rest of their fish is better than what we had. I saw the big helpings that other diners were getting and really regretted my choice.

2  Thank Glen M
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

I love big R's. The food is plenty and the fish is fantastic. They have a big selection of food for kids to adult's. The parking is not the best but if can walk a shot distance the view is great and the food is well worth it. It has one of the best fish and chips in town.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

Thank you for all the delicious breakfasts. I look forward to eating at the Big R weeks in advance. Your kind and caring team make for a truly welcoming environment. I wish there were more restaurants like yours in my life. I will miss you.