All reviews kids eat free swimming pool water slides coffee maker central location three nights signal hill airport downtown st microwave canada washroom
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Found this hotel was a great “bang for the buck”. Very reasonable price and children 12 and under eat free breakfast, lunch and supper at east side Mario’s which helps on families pocket books. Very nice dual water slide and separate pool.

Rooms were clean and basic.

Areas of improvement - pool and water slide area could stay open a little later (10pm instead of 9). Beds could use replacing as our beds were lumpy and well used.

Overall a good stay.

Date of stay: October 2018
NormaJ407, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Hello Greg B,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with such wonderful feedback about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Conference Centre. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.We are always looking for ways to make improvements and your comments are valuable to us.

We do look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

We are very pleased with our stay at the Holiday Inn on Portugal Cove Road during the month of September 2018 for a wedding. I hope my review helps others in selecting a location.

Several family members flew in from Nova Scotia on different dates to attend a wedding. Upon arrival, we knew we most likely wouldn’t get a room as check-in wasn’t until 3 and we arrived at 10am. Christina was working the front desk and although my spouse’s and my room wasn’t available, we were immediately offered baggage check tickets and the option to leave our bags at the hotel while our room was prepared and we explored the city. My brother-in-law’s room was ready and he was able to check-in early with no additional charges.

Christina was working at the front desk most of the time during our stay and she was ALWAYS a pleasure to deal with. She was very personable, always had a smile on her face, and was always willing to go out of her way to help us. We certainly bombarded her with questions and requests and she was always eager to assist. Thanks for keeping it real Christina!

The hotel is a bit dated décor-wise and hallways were a bit dim, but that did not affect our stay. We booked a king bed room and ended up getting ground level access with an exterior door which was very convenient as we could park next to the room which made coming and going (especially with luggage/groceries) very convenient. Amenities in our room included a hair dryer, iron/ironing board, desk/chair, two comfy chairs with a round table, dresser, flat screen tv, and a large sized compact fridge. The shower/toilet were separate from the sink/closet area in our room. There were several lamps in the room which made it easy to keep lit at night. A/C worked well during our stay as we prefer a colder room at night. We rarely heard any noise from inside or outside our room during our stay.

Shortly after getting to our room we realized the exterior door card reader was not working and Paul from maintenance was in the room within minutes and replaced the card reader. Paul was very friendly and laughed and joked with us as he worked. Through the week. other family members requested other items such as hangers, toasters, microwaves, and cots. All were delivered within minutes by hotel staff.

We didn’t need housekeeping to come in during the week as we can take care of ourselves, but they always asked every day if we needed anything.

The hotel has a fitness center, salt water pool, and a waterslide. We enjoyed the fitness center and pool, but were not around during the weekend to enjoy the slide. Fitness center is open 24 hours a day, and I believe the pool is open from 9-9. Water slide is open Friday evening and during pool hours Sat/Sun. Yes, we are adults, but were disappointed the slide wasn’t open all the time

There was a business center located on our floor (2nd) which I used a couple of times to print a few pages for the upcoming wedding. Business center had 2 computers on separate desks, a multi-function printer, and a separate table with 4 chairs.

The hotel restaurant is an East Side Marios restaurant. We ate there one evening and staff were great and the food was delivered quickly and hot. Meals can be charged to your room or paid for immediately.

Last but not least, the wedding itself. My spouse and I were the emcees for the event and had to meet with Jill who coordinated the wedding on behalf of Holiday Inn. Jill ensured we had everything we needed for our role and worked well with the bride and groom to make sure everything on the wedding night ran smoothly. During the night of the wedding we touched base with Jill a few times with questions and she was always ready with an answer. Due to it being missed by family during planning, one last minute request during the ceremony was to provide wheelchair access to the small stage the head table was on for a member of the wedding party. Once again in quick order, Jill and staff stepped up and had a ramp brought out without anyone else being aware there was even an issue. Hats off to Jill and her staff for everything from room set-up to catering.

Craig was in charge of the bar and he met with the groom and us before the wedding to ensure favorite drinks were on hand and if anything special was needed. Craig stepped up to help create some surprise favorite drinks for the attendees and even printed signs for us to announce the drinks. Thanks Craig!

There was only one negative item to report during our stay which led to this being a 4 star review. We booked 6-7 months in advance and were told when booking to ask for the best rate during checkout. During our stay, according to front desk staff, this hotel’s rates can change hourly. Our 1 week stay was broken up into 3 reservations as we were getting a special wedding rate for a single night halfway through the stay. Our rate was about $180 a night with wedding night being $149. After we had been at the hotel for a couple of days and other family members were arriving, people were getting rates at almost half of the price we booked at $99 a night. When we approached the front desk after staying for three nights, we were told the previous three nights had already been charged and they wouldn’t change them. They agreed to give us our final nights at a rate of $99. I travel a lot and understand rates can fluctuate, but to have people paying $80-$100 less a night without having booked in advance isn’t acceptable.

Hotel location is very central and close to downtown St. John’s, grocery stores, drug stores, etc… Lots of sights to see and touristy things to do within 15-30 minutes away.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and may very well return should we travel back to St. John’s.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
NormaJ407, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2018

Hello Shawn D,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with such wonderful feedback about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Conference Centre. We are so thankful of all the time and thought you put into providing us with such great comments. I am sorry to hear that you did have a small issue in what sounds like such a positive experience.

We do hope that you travel back to our city. We hope do get the chance to welcome you back with us in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2018

My room was a little tired, but I booked late and what I got was an "overflow room," so maybe that's OK. But thin towels and sheets that don't stay tucked in are not what you should get for the price I paid. There are better values elsewhere in town.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
NormaJ407, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Hello Porcophile,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about your recent day with us at the Holiday Inn Conference Center. We are always looking for ways to make improvements and your comments are valuable to us.

I hope that we can welcome you back with us in the future so that you can see that this isn't our normal procedures.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

This was a 2 week business trip and this property was perfect for my needs. The room was very well kept with excellent maid services. I used the gym twice a day and never found it busy. The location was good for my needs but is a good taxi ride away from the town center and the famous George Street. The only negative comment I have is that the attached restaurant is very poor. On my first night I ordered Pizza in this Italian themed facility and it was absolute garbage, I informed my waitress of this and her response was not what I expected. Taking this restaurant experience out of the equation and this hotel is very good for any type of traveler.

Room tip: Good rooms are on 5th Floor if you want quietness.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2018

WARNING. CONSUMERS BE WARE.

We were charged "marketing fees" of approximately $4.50 per night on our hotel room for each night. This is a fee levied by Holiday Inn for their coffers.

I was informed that this a new fee charged by Holiday Inns since they were bought out and taken over by the new owners. This fee is uncalled for, tacky, greedy and made us now decide against booking any more Holiday Inn hotels in our future travels.

We will no longer book with Holiday Inn Hotels.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NormaJ407, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Johns, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Hello Victor K,

The marketing sales fee that you paid is a 3% fee that was introduced by the new owners at this location only. I am very sorry for any miscommunication from this and would advise that this isn't a fee for all Holiday Inns.

Regards;