“Excellent”

Cuisines: Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Very tasty. Wonderful. Good food at good prices. Only thing I would change is adding some spicy kick to the chilli. Otherwise perfect.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

I haven't lived in Winnipeg for a couple years but I still dream of the Double Special with a large Vanilla Shake. They bring everything together in that small shack of theirs, and pump out some quality local taste. I tell people Winnipeg is famous for their burgers, not many places make it standard to have chilli on them. VJs is a nice spiced patty, flat top fried, good crunch, pickle spears (not slices), healthy amount of mayo, and nice shredded lettuce. I've also learned that the trick is to never put it down, but also that I should take breathes between bites. Please get a shake too when you're there, it just makes it that much more authentic. And yes, they're cash only. Grow up and take out some money.

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

Who says you can't go home? For those of us familiar with Winnipeg and the food scene here, harken back to your youth; The Spirit of Juniors thrives here. Yes it's now called VJ's but its Juniors to the core.

I was here on business staying at the Fort Garry and needed dinner after the Jets victory. So I walked across the street and through the old school screen door and was hit with a wave of nostalgia taking me back over 40 years ago. Still a basic menu but a true classic, just burgers,shakes, dogs and the world's best fries no pretentious menu or variants here just classic excellent fresh food.

I related to the young lady behind the counter my memories from high school and college and her eyes lit up at the mention of Juniors as she was well acquainted with the history of this iconic Winnipeg staple. I asked for a "Fat Boy" and she knew exactly what I was asking for Nd the owner/cook stepped up and we discussed his family's history here and how he's remaining true to that history and vision.

So the "Fat Boy" now VJ's Special was served up juicy with onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese,pickles ( I opted for no mayo) served on a sesame seed bun. Still a great value @ only $7.50. And the fries, fresh cut fried to order unsalted, so you can season or not. An order so big it fills a paper lunch bag and only $4.50. So for just over $12, I had the ultimate comfort meal, traditional, fresh and filling while traveling down memory lane.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus!!!

Reviewed 28 April 2018

This place has THE best chilli dog you will ever have. Second to none. Fries are good and love having them served in a box. Hamburgers are good but you've gotta have the chilli dog.

1  Thank Sandi M
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Couldn't eat anything as everything had beef, including the fries. And it is cash only. They don't accept cards