“Attentive service and Good Food”
Review of Homer's Restaurant

Homer's Restaurant
Ranked #330 of 1,763 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2016

After having spent 6 months in Nunavut I had a craving for Greek food. A friend was kind enough to take me out for dinner and a movie and so I requested if we could have Greek food. She recommended Homer's and I decided to give it a try.
We arrived for an early dinner, 4.30pm and we warmly greeted and seated. The decor is plain and simple but I liked it very much. At that time of the late afternoon, the restaurant was not crowded. Our waitress was very prompt and after reviewing the menu, we opted for the Dolmathes for our starter and my dinner partner chose the Kotopoulo Skaras and I had the Lamb Souvlaki. We both had soup as part of our main course ( mine was a vegetable soup and her's the lentil. We opted not to have any alcohol. The only disappointment was the accompanying bread basket was not the traditional toasted pita bread but a small loaf of french bread!!! It as nice, fresh and warm BUT I was hoping that since this is a family run restaurant, we would have pita.
The Dolmathes was delicious and the lemon sauce that it rested on was excellent.
The soups were delicious. My vegetable soup was light and delightful and beautifully made. My dinner partner commented that she loved the lentil soup as well.
Our main courses when they arrived ( seemed to be perfectly timed) was tasty and healthy sized portions. I opted not to have only vegetables with my lamb souvlaki. The lamb as good but abit over cooked but the vegetables were excellently done, still with a bit of crunch, bright colours and beautifully seasoned.
I must say that the thing that will definitely bring me back is the service. It was attentive, seemed perfectly timed and flawless. I never felt rushed and when dinner was over they allowed us to sit and chat for a bit before we had to leave for our movie. We declined to have any desserts this visit but I am sure to try and have some the next time I am visiting Winnipeg.
Would I come back if I am in town again, most definitely!.

Reviewed 5 December 2015

I have been to this restaurant a few times and have never been disappointed.

I have never been to Greece, but I feel as if I have come close by coming to this restaurant. With the Greek music playing softly in the backgrond, and a travelogue on a large screen. It is also one of the few restaurants in Winnipeg that I am aware of that still uses linen tablecloths. A nice touch.

The food is excellent - especially the Avgolemeno (lemon - rice soup). I also really like the souvlaki. The souvlaki comes in pork, lamb or chicken. If you want to try two different meats, they will give you a skewer of each at an extra price.

All in all, treat yourself for a lovely evening out.

Reviewed 29 November 2015

We tried Homer's for the first time, the food is very good, has a nice atmosphere, decor is nothing fancy but is nice, service was fantastic, I had the greek ribs with lemon potato, and the lentil soup to start, the soup was very good, ribs were fall off the bone, wife had the tiger prawns and chicken souvlaki with lemon potato, and greek salad to start, the chicken and prawns were cooked perfectly, both meals were very flavorful, and ample portions, price of meals very reasonable, there were 2 other couples dinning with us and restaurant accepted all our Show & Save Book of Savings coupons

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Attentive and compassionate owner and staff are excellent, food is far above expectations every time. I was there for a wedding reception tasting and the food was wonderful then and at the reception. Excellent place for a formal or informal gathering.
I will visit again when I am working!

1  Thank scottie999
Reviewed 15 October 2015

Older decor, could use a face lft. Not in the best part of the city. Prices were reasonable. Food was ok, service was good. Seems to be a local fave. for greek cuisine.