“Not much food nor flavor.”

The Thirsty Lion Tavern
Ranked #1,039 of 1,686 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Reviewed 2 August 2017

The atmosphere here could be great. Still the place was dang near empty, the gals working here were friendly but, some seemed to be distracted by social media although my waitress was attentive and pleasant. The IPA tasted like Wimpey's Lite beer so either the local IPA is wimpy, or, the staff at the Thirsty Lion slipped me a lite, charging for an IPA. I ordered the large fish n' chips and got one measly little chunk of heavily battered white fish, a couple sticks of fried taters, and cole slaw serve in one of those little 2 oz cups used for dressing!

Reviewed 24 May 2017

You really want a pub close but that you can drop in for a carbonated beverage, some great food and an atmosphere that makes coming back a must. Sadly I got maybe one out of those three the other night.
If you are there to watch a game on one of the many screens, you're in luck. Lots of options all around so that's great. There are not that many tables that are ideally positioned to watch the big screens, but if you get there early before the puck drops, you can pick and choose. This is where the good news ends.
Our waitress was very friendly, very engaged, but what seemed to be very uninformed. Knowing what's on tap to me is one of the basics when working in a pub. Finally got my wobbly pop but, if I want room temperature beer I'll look for a British venue with bitters. It was okay but NOT cold and refreshing.
The food. Aargh. When you send your wings back twice because the temp is just barely above being 'cool', and on the third time to hit the table they are still not pipping hot, what is wrong in the kitchen? The taste was good but man oh man, serve hot food please. Especially when you've got three tries to get it right. The Angry Lion burger was okay. The patty was well cooked with a good pile of fixins', I'd order that one again. But, next time I'd ask for the non-overcooked french fries. What a mix. Can't get the wings hot because they didn't leave them in the cooker long enough and then they leave the fries in the fryer way too long.
The other ungood thing was the outrageous price for a pint of IPA. Almost $8 and it isn't even cold. Wow.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

Decided last minute to go out to the pub. First time here and the service was really good. We were seated quickly and drinks ordered came with minimum delay. Specials were given to us a couple if time which was followed up by some additional kitchen checks to answer questions we asked about our food choices. Once our food order went in, we had only a short wait before everything was ready and on the table. We were served by two different waitresses both of whom were attentive and kept making sure we were happy without being too intrusive. The meals were a good size portion and left overs were boxed up at no extra charge. Being local we will certainly be using this excellent watering hole more often. It will be interesting to see if the great atmosphere and service here is the same on game nights.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

I am a regular here and have never had a bad experience. One of my go-to favourites on the menu is the Ale & Cheese Dip. It's super tasty and generously sized for the price. Service is always friendly! I stay in the hotel whenever me and friends decide to drink. Extremely close and I always have a great time :)

Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

Good food, good atmosphere, very attentive servers, good drink specials. French dip was awesome. Great Tvs.